Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Teroux
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello to the community,

I have a question regarding Blast and the use of surges. Now, I realise that this question has been asked before but I'm still not entirely sure how the surge ability combines with the Blast effect.

So, let's say I attack a group of three monsters with a blast attack. Let's also say that I roll two surges on the dice and that I actually have two different surge effects on the weapon I'm using (one that says Pierce 2 and the other +1 damage. I don't know if such a weapon exists, it's just for the sake of example).

1) After all three monsters have rolled their defence dice, I decide to use the Pierce 2 effect from one of the surges. Question: do I get to use the Pierce 2 effect against all three defence rolls? I understand that only one of the monsters is the 'target' of the attack and that the two other monsters are 'affected' by it.

2) How would I be allowed to use the second surge to apply +1 damage?

Thank you for your time and help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
Your surges work as normal. It's just that instead of applying the effects of the attack to one figure (plus a defense roll) you apply that attack to multiple figures (each with a separately tracked Defense roll). There are no special "Some figures get this effect and some get other effects" when it comes to Blast.

The main distinction for Blast and Figure abilities is on defense. You cannot for example apply Stoneskin (Spiritspeaker) to anything in the Blast radius other than the target of the attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Teroux
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, thanks for the quick reply.

So, I could use the second surge on the target monster to apply +1 damage, and due to the Blast effect, the other two would also suffer the same amount of damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. All effects of an attack apply to all affected figures. This includes conditions. So if your attack also has a surge ability to apply the burning condition, all affected figures are then burning.

This also works for other types of attack that affect multiple figures such as the Arachyura's "pincer" attack or the Meriod's flail ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Teroux
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, thanks for the follow-up reply, Alexander.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ozga
msg tools
The simplest interpretation is that you are making a single attack. All modifications are applied to this attack so every defender needs to face exactly the same attack.

This is important for example in case of Hybrid Sentinels and Pray of the Weak / Fire Breath combo.
If target of the attack has 2 or less strength the attack gets +1 dmg. If strength is greater than 2 attack gets no modifier.
When fire breath affects additional figures you ignore their strength value. Attack was already modified (+0 or +1) and all other figures need to defend against this attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
Last session my wife managed to get Mana Weave and Lightning. Talk about a power combo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallan Greybe
msg tools
There are some slight wrinkles here. It's sometimes important to distinguish between the target of the attack and figures affected by the attack. For blast the attack targets the centre square, but affects each adjacent square. This means some surge abilities, such as the weaken effect on the Stalker's Exploit which explicitly mentions the targetof the attack, only affect the figure in the target square.

There are probably more examples, but it's important to bear the distinction in mind when reading skills which mention one or the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.