Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Leslie
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's everyone else's take on the level of difficulty?

I've played several games now, at several different player counts. So far I've found that the easy setups are just that. However after 3 or 4 tries we've yet to win a medium difficulty setup.

On medium, it seems that the two minutes is enough time to defeat most of the aliens that show up each round, but we end up spending too much time clearing out the aliens and are left with very little time to accomplish the main objective.

I can't imagine how bad the difficult setups would be and expect I'll never need to take the shrink wrap of the Very Difficult setup cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how many games you have played, but I am sure there is a skill set you develop that makes the game easier over time. Reading the threats on the board, knowing what order to move aliens in, etc... these things make a difference.

I've only played two medium games; I am 1 win and 1 loss, with the loss being a literal last minute thing (we were in the home zone with objectives complete, but we miscalculated how a couple of aliens would push each other and they got into the start area on the final turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Funk
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as I am not playing with new players, I've found the following to be the outcome for the games I've played:

Easy (1-4 players) - Always win (unless a perfect storm of aliens arrives)
Medium (1 player) - Around 90% win rate
Medium (2-4 players) - About 75% win rate
Hard (1 player) - Half the time I win/lose
Hard (2-4 players) - Close to 25% win rate
Very Hard (Only played by myself) - Won once in about 6 times I've tried it.
I haven't tried Very Hard with additional players yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've also found that having more players makes it harder. There's more to coordinate (somebody always moves those aliens we said to not move!), and the fact there are more aliens means that they tend to push themselves forward on spawning a lot faster.

PS we've tried five payers on easy and NEVER won it...though this was when we were learning

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dolan
United States
Rockford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I must be doing something really wrong, I have yet to win a game. Granted, I've only played a few solo games, but I seem to barely complete a single objective before the base is overrun...

I think most of my games have been Extermination me Scion's with Bus as my character. Should I be trying a different objective? Character? Is there soecific strategy or tactic I should be using?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bus is nice, but not the strongest character.

As well, don't forget you get to roll FIVE dice for single player. Oh, and another mistake we made: you can have TWO guns and unlimited accessories. We thought we could only have one of each.

That made it a little tougher :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dolan
United States
Rockford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Yeah, I've been playing with 5 dice and have tried double weapons. I've been using Bus since he doesn't take pushing damage. My primary issue is that, with a single character, I can't effectively get to the objectives _and_ prevent the aliens from reaching the base.

The 5 dice has actually been part of the issue, it seems like I roll a LOT of Alien Skulls. Even when they only move 1 space per skull, they can cover a ton of ground really fast (especially when the bulk of them are runners who already move a minimum of 3 spaces per turn and 6 on the first round they appear).

During my last game, I focused more on 'holding' good die results and only re-rolling the ones I didn't have a use for and that seemed to help. I managed to complete both objectives, but the aliens were already adjacent to the base by that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Funk
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three things you need to do to win (especially on more difficult missions):
1. Plan
2. Plan
3. Plan

Here are some of the ways I plan:
Weapons: When picking weapons, make sure everyone can shoot short and long range or at least make sure those that would normally be close to aliens (Momentum, Bus, Caress, and Sandman) get short range weapons. I think weapons are way more important than items, however, the Launch Pack may be the best thing for you in a single player game.
Aliens: Place aliens in such a way that they will take the longest route off the map. Move them that way during the round.
Pre-planning: Discuss what each person will try to do during the round. Have at least 1 backup for each person (since someone will inevitably only roll a few move symbols during the round). Discuss which way aliens should move, which aliens should move first/last, and which aliens should need to be killed first/last.
Objectives: Know your objectives. Make them a priority. Aliens left on the board won't always lose you the game. Also, events, many times, are only a nuisance and can be ignored.
Board: Count the spaces on the board to know which squares the aliens should not cross by the end of the round. My group has gone so far as to place wound tokens on the board to signify where aliens should not be moved past when deciding which alien to move.
Movement: Characters can move diagonally. Exploit that mechanic. Spreading out is good, but having teams of 2 works great against objectives and helping each other take care of incoming aliens. Leaving an alien near a spawning area can come in handy when other aliens are getting to close to the base. Having a character stay near the base is generally a good idea too.
Shooting: Shoot aliens closest to the base first. Use long range weapons to their fullest advantage by lining up a character and an alien.
Rolling: You don't have to roll all dice at once. Holding onto a die with a gun or hand symbol may be a life saver later on. If you've done what you need to do for the round, stop rolling. Don't risk rolling an alien symbol.
Communication: (Also see pre-planning) Talk to everyone during the action phase. Someone else may need to move an alien which could be used to move an alien into your shot path. If you need an alien to move, call for one. If you see the aliens are about to win, tell others to stop rolling and line up a shot. Ask for others to assist you. Talk before the game to establish words or phrases for easier/quicker understanding, "Alien someone!" doesn't always mean the same to each person unless discussed beforehand.
Characters: Know your character's strengths and weaknesses. Use their abilities wisely. Lilla doesn't need to use all 5 of her tokens right away, sometimes waiting until there are fewer aliens on the board is crutial. Use Robcart as often as you can and stay close to other players to be able to give them items and weapons. Let Bus get pushed at the end of rounds to allow him to kill aliens at the front lines in the next round. Etc...

These are things I have found to be very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas -
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pat Dolan wrote:
runners who already move a minimum of 3 spaces per turn and 6 on the first round they appear).

Remember that aliens are only moving one space when you roll the alien symbol. In our first game we moved them their card value... blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.