Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that we should only use crayons on the map. But the ones in my box were completely useless. Most reviews have stated that dry-erase markers work fine. But I've noticed that when I draw a track across a jigsaw puzzle border, the dry-erase marker leaves a permanent stain as it approaches the edge. Anyone else run into this problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
We use a roll of flexible clear vinyl to cover the map. It's thinner than a sheet of plexiglass and lighter and easier to carry, and it will adhere gently to the map and won't slip. You can write on it with either dry-erase or wet-erase marker without ever marking your board. We definitely think it's the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't use Dry Erase for gameplay. You'll erase it using your dry sleeve or dry elbow. Use Wet Erase. You might smudge it a little with a slightly sweaty palm, but mostly it will stay in place. But make sure it's on a surface that can accept wet erase without staining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
i used china markers for years with no problems

skins fan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
China markers are highly recommended. Many art supply stores sell them. Here's an online dealer:

http://www.rexart.com/china_markers.html

I don't recommend white or yellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wolff
United States
poulsbo
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I use standard dry-erase markers on all my rail games (the "board" ones like Eurorails, and the roll-out ones like Nipponrails) and they work just fine. I don't understand the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as I described in my first post, there are now permanent marks on my boards, because there doesn't appear to be the proper coating on the jigsaw boundaries of the (or my) lunar board. Here's what it looks like:

That would be the problem. I can't erase those marks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam DiRocco
United States
North Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm a Amateur Extra Class Ham radio Operator -- W8SDD
mbmbmbmbmb
loquitur wrote:
That would be the problem. I can't erase those marks.

Try writing over it again with the marker, Then immediately erase the line. I know this works if someone writes on white board with a permanent marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried, and it made my marks a little darker, but still permanent. There just seems to be a lack of coating at the very edges of my board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hsu
Taiwan
Hsinchu City
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You might want to try alcohol(95%).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The thing about dry erase markers is that they work only on dry erase surfaces. When I put in a huge magnetic wall for gaming purposes, I looked into coating it with dry erase paint. It requires professional curing with an ultraviolet light for 24 hours straight.

Crayola crayons work beautifully for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Greek
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walmart has big rolls of clear plastic vinyl cheap. That's where I got mine. Tried a few markers on the board itself and ya...they don't erase very well at the edges. We use dry erase markers and they work great. Just watch what you're doing so you don't inadvertenly erase your track. Even if you do it's usually only a small bit. Easy to fix. With yellow I use like a golden brown so we don't always have to play the same color which is nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an aside, the washable Crayola crayons supplied with my copy of Martian Rails worked great on the board (apart from yellow). However, I too like the idea of dry erase markers - they tend to be easier to use than a crayon, less friction and can draw the line in one pass without pressing on hard. (Sounds really geeky doesn't it? LOL)

Anyway, I manged to pick up a roll of cellophane in a stationery store. The label says Clear Polypropylene. I think it cost me about £3-£4 The roll is 30 microns thick and 20 inches wide by 33 feet long! That may be enough to cover every Empire Builder version Suffice to say I have one sheet cut for Martian Rails - it doesn't cover the entire board top to bottom, but more importantly covers the entire MAP. The static cling is an added bonus; the sheet does not move around the board under normal conditions!cool

Diff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Storz
United States
California
flag msg tools
There is another thread about this here. Toward the bottom of the thread I recommend some wipe-off crayons from Crayola that have worked very well for us. The crayons are fatter and less easy to break. The drawn lines are very good, allowing use of less pressure. The set has 8 colors, including orange which can be used in place of yellow (and the yellow crayon works OK - not great, but OK - on white background EB series game boards (not so well on Lunar Rails's gray board, though). The set as we bought it included a very effective erasing mitt that makes post-game clean-up quicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WolfLord Hawkeye

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI They do make a dry erase laminate. If you have a copy shop that does large mounting and laminating nearby. I have made myself a few boards using foamcore then mounting the image followed with the laminate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use dry-erase markers on standard lamination but they do, over time, end up staining the plastic (more so than wet-erase). Of course, you may well not care about the longer term since you can simply replace the laminated bits if the game gets played that much.

For the not-laminated-to-edge problem you have, you're probably better off cutting a little of the stain away and then re-sealing the edge yourself with varnish or a clear coat.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Franco, at this point I think you are best off just leaving the board as is and not try anything else to erase those marks on the edge. Stuff like alcohol might work, but might also damage the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, I've never actually played the game - this thread goes back three years - and those marks were from a trial run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played the game yet?

Yes, both dry- and wet-erase markers will leave permanent marks along the edges. China markers are essentially superior crayons, and the weapon of choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I traded the game away quite some time ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xorsyst xorsyst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just hit the same problem - used my normal cheap ikea markers that I've had no trouble with on Iron Dragon, and I've now got a couple of permanent marks near the jigsaw edge. There definitely seems to be an issue with the coating of the board at those points for Lunar Rails in particular

I have some white-board eraser fluid at work I'm going to (carefully!) try, to see if it improves things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.