Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Pearson
United Kingdom
Wickford
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this in a charity shop. I was seduced by the odd shaped box and the lure of strange pyramid playing pieces.
Was very pleased when I opened it to see a massive fold out map and lots of coloured pieces that slotted together.

Started playing. That was when it all went bad.

Basically you pick a card, read out an impossibly hard cryptic clue whose answer will be location themed. Then you have to pinpoint the answer on the map.

After thrity or so rounds of shrugs of complete incomprehension and shouts of 'No I don't know where Alexander paused to rest his camels" and staring desperatley at the map for ages trying to remember which side San Fransisco is on when the answer was actually CapeTown anyway- I finally came across a question regarding Volgograd that I was sure I could answer having just read a book on Stalingrad.
Got the answer right but was about 80 miles out on the plot.
Game was packed away under the stairs never to see the light of day again.

It doesn't help that the map is printed and thus cannot keep up with the pace of physical geography, meaning that half the questions are about countries you didn't learn about at school as they ceased to exist about ten years before you were born.

A great idea for a game and fun to play if you are a genius with a whole bunch of genius friends with loads of time on their hands. Otherwise don't play this game it will only make you feel bad about yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."
badge
"No matter how low your opinion of Washington DC, it's nothing compared to Washington DC's low opinion of you."
mb
You're supposed to talk about how wonderful it is and get everyone wanting a copy, so I can trade mine away. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That said, you'll pry either of the two copies I have out of my fingers only after the decomposition trumps the rigor mortis. I adore the game, but it definitely requires both a trivia bent and a lot of geography (although there's a lot of information printed on the board as well). Yeah, finding others who share my enthusiasm is sometimes a challenge, but I enjoy a game now and again.

And if you're not familiar with it, it's the Trivial Pursuit folk's attempt to do a really quirky geography trivia game ("ubi" is where in Latin, or so I am told). A typical/actual question would be "Ubi Oddjob offed?" Then, you make the jump to "In the James Bond movie Goldfinger, where was Oddjob killed?" Then, you must locate the answer (Fort Knox, KY) to one of two precision levels on a world map.

I can't claim genius, or loads of time, but I do enjoy the game! (Does that help, Drew?...)

Alex Yeager
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cole
Canada
Saskatoon - or near enough
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this game, and yes it is tough, but thats the point.

It is very good with teams. It is good to have knowledge of pop culture, history, arts, sciences, etc, etc...and puzzle solving, as the clues are not necessarily straightforward, and of course geography, and all of these elements happen at the same time.

If you have 3 people on a team, someone must know something about Amelia Earhart, someone about geography, and someone about history, to get when and where she did something great.

I have never been able to find a copy, but a friend has one, and it is tough to get anyone else to play it, and even toougher to beat him when we do (he knows everything!), but i always enjoy it when it comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"No matter how low your opinion of Washington DC, it's nothing compared to Washington DC's low opinion of you."
mb
Moosehead wrote:
I have never been able to find a copy, . . .

Can we talk? cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
"Ma! They done killed Rando!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Karmic_nomad wrote:

Basically you pick a card, read out an impossibly hard cryptic clue whose answer will be location themed. Then you have to pinpoint the answer on the map.

Woah, that takes me back. You just described our exact experience with this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The worst thing about the game is that you have to roll a triangle resolution in order to win a triangle, which you may never actually do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tandlmayer
United States
Wilkinsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I also picked up a thrift copy but haven't felt sufficiently...uh...(I dunno, I can't come up with an adjective) to play it.

The black bag with the creepy red eye pyramid and cherubs I took to put the monster tiles in from Arkham Horror, so I'm at least getting some value out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh. Nice idea about using the bag for Arkham Horror. I've been looking for a suitable bag for that purpose, and didn't think of Ubi's bag. (Currently I use a brown paper lunch sack as my Charlie Brownish "Monster Cup".)

I was in San Luis Obispo last September and was looking through a neat game store there, and saw the triangular Ubi box for $2.98. I remembered the game from the mid 80s, and how you couldn't really tell from the box or their many ads in Games magazine at the time just what the game was like. You had to buy it to find out. I also remembered hearing about how the people that did buy it to find out, found out that they hated it.

Since I had already spent a fair amount of money on other items, I decided to keep my $2.98.

When I got back home, I looked it up on BGG, and discovered 2 things.

1. The map was an answer to a contest from Games magazine that I was working on at the time.

2. While the people writing about it on BGG seemed to confirm my memories from two decades ago that they hated it, from the descriptions I thought that I'd actually enjoy it.

Dang. I was too cheap to pay $3 on an unusual game.

I was back in SLO in March I think it was. I knew that someone would have snatched up a $3 game, probably within an hour after I passed on it in September. But I looked anyway. And not only was it still there, still for $2.98, but now it was on the floor, standing upright, so that you had to step around it to look at the games on the shelves. I guess they wanted to get it out of their store, and I obliged.

I played it that night at the hotel with my 19 year old son, who was anxious to play because it looked cool and strange. He hated it. I actually enjoyed it, although we modified the rules so that you got a pyramid piece for getting any of the geographical location under the hex shape, not just under the small triangle shape.

I was also excited to add to the photos here and get some GG, since there were only a couple of pictures of it. I knew exactly how I wanted to set up the shots. So did Drew, because he uploaded his pictures the week of my return almost identically to how I had planned to do mine. Dang it....

I forgot to get to my point: It's a weird game, and certainly worth my $2.98. I'm glad to have it, but it definitely must have a small target audience. I agree with the recommendation that it probably plays best with a team of people per side, to share strengths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Quote:
So did Drew, because he uploaded his pictures the week of my return almost identically to how I had planned to do mine. Dang it....

One o' these?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, both of them. But I also thought a picture of the reticle on a black background would nicely show off that important element of the game, and that there was a need for a shot of some sample cards so people could see what kind of questions were asked. You beat me to the punch with those, too.

I was a day late and a few GG short....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Daly
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I love this game and had many enjoyable hours playing with some fairly intelligent friends. my question: has anyone ever updated this game to modern questions? or maybe a not-so-esoteric format? does anyone else know of a modern geography based trivia game? my 12 and 16 yr olds would have no idea on the answers but would be able to find the places. they would do much better if the question had a contemporary flavor.

also, one my favorite things about this game is the "RED HERRING" which is an unanswerable question and has an actual location, so if you get the fact that it is unanswerable and go to the red herring on the map, you get the pyramid piece.

my set got very worn, and my game closet constantly spits the game out at me because of the triangular box does't stack well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was given this a a 'gift' because I like games.

I read through a few of the questions and decided I am not nearly knowledgeable to play this game. The questions are HARD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tod tomorrow
msg tools
I'm missing the Zone Cubi (dice) and 2 of the Rubi's. I have the green and beige ones only. Anyone want to part out their game if they dont like it?

Todd
please email me at tomorrow47@hotmail.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.