Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5312 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [213] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Women and Gaming

Subject: So, Who Are the Ladies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BGG_Ladies_Are_Awesome! [+] ladies [+] Introductions [+] welcome [+] [View All]
krobbins426
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the spirit of identifying the female BGG community and breaking the ice, introductions would be great.

Hello, I'm Kirsten, from Arlington, Virgnia. I started playing Settlers in law school, about six years ago now. I found the Geek at the beginning of this year in an attempt to find some more games to play with my husband.

In general, I've found the BGG community to be a nice group of people, but it would be great to get a better sense of who the ladies are.

Edit: I should also add that I grew up playing board games with my younger brother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmb
Hi Kirsten,

I'm June. I live in South Jersey. I started gaming as a hobby about 10 years ago. I'm an avid local con attendee, belong to EPGS, and I go to Origins every year.

I also find BGG to be peopled with some very caring and fun geeks. I'll be going to BGG.Con this year and am looking forward to putting more faces with names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
flag msg tools
mb
krobbins426 wrote:
In the spirit of identifying the female BGG community and breaking the ice, introductions would be great.

I think my pink Avatar speaks for itself, though I, personally, hate pink. Why this Avatar then? Simple: I love the Thunderbirds more than I hate pink. Anyone else have a love/hate relationship with their Avatars?

I'm Diane. I'm in Minnesota, and the "p" in pdclose stands for my (silent) partner (husband) Paul. He signed up for the account originally, but never used it, so I just kinda took it over by default. laugh

I like doing player aids and sewing game bags. I'm working on a full color version of my Hey, That's My Fish! board (which you can find in that game's files section), and you can see one of my bags here:

Yep, that's lined in silk and seamless on the inside!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
krobbins426 wrote:

I think my pink Avatar speaks for itself, though I, personally, hate pink. Why this Avatar then? Simple: I love the Thunderbirds more than I hate pink. Anyone else have a love/hate relationship with their Avatars?

I'm Diane. I'm in Minnesota, and the "p" in pdclose stands for my (silent) partner (husband) Paul. He signed up for the account originally, but never used it, so I just kinda took it over by default. laugh

I like doing player aids and sewing game bags. I'm working on a full color version of my Hey, That's My Fish! board (which you can find in that game's files section), and you can see one of my bags here:

Yep, that's lined in silk and seamless on the inside!

I hope a slight male interruption is OK but that bag rocks! You could sell those! Very cool. Also I always thought your user name meant pretty darn close Sorry again for the interruption, just had to comment on your work.
Ta!
Van
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United States
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, all! Kirsten, I'm just down the road from you in Lorton, VA -- please give me a shout if you ever want to stop by for a game or two. I gamed (Avalon Hill, mostly) a bit back in grad school and got back into the hobby about 4 years ago through my buddy Kevin.

I play all kinds of games with all kinds of different groups and generally love the BGG community (with the notable exception of the few wipes who think that women are too busy shopping and gossiping to play wargames).

EDIT: Oh, and June, I'm totally going to BGG.CON. See you there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United States
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
Anyone else have a love/hate relationship with their Avatars?

Not me! There's only love for Zorak! kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
flag msg tools
mb
vandemonium wrote:
I hope a slight male interruption is OK but that bag rocks! You could sell those! Very cool. Also I always thought your user name meant pretty darn close Sorry again for the interruption, just had to comment on your work.

Thanks Van! I appreciate the compliment! I made that bag for a guy in my gaming group, who lent me his precious, and well-loved, Hans Im Gluck T&E to try as a two-player on my own time. His bag was in shreds, it was so well used, so I made this one for him as a thank you.

I loved the HiMG T&E so much that I traded for it shortly thereafter, and now my husband is lobbying me to make one of these for us, even though the bag that came with it is hardly used!

And about the "pretty darned Close", well you are close on that one! That was a nickname my husband was given on occasion by classmates in university. It hasn't stuck though, thank goodness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
krobbins426
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
pdclose wrote:
Quote:
Anyone else have a love/hate relationship with their Avatars?

Not me! There's only love for Zorak!

Now that I have enought Geek Gold, I am still trying to find what I want to use for my avatar. I thought I had it today, but I can't find the file someone sent me a few years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Fabulous
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you rang?

I'm Amanda. I spend most of my time on the ww board but am trying to branch out.

I'm at Indiana University School of Law - Bloomington.
I started playing a lot toward the end of my undergrad at KU but haven't played much since I've moved.
the nick goes back to my counterstrike days when stupid first person shooter gamers thought only boys could shoot.. jerks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe Robinson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi! I'm Zoe, in St Paul Minnesota.

I started gaming three years ago, when a coworker at a temp job beat me at Mancala about three minutes after I taught it to him(to my astonisment and consternation, quite badly). He brought Puerto Rico to work the next day, and a bunch of us have been gaming regularly ever since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy,

I'm Susan and live in a dinky little town outside of Austin, Texas. I only dabbled in gaming up until about 1998 when my husband discovered rec.games.board and requested Roborally for his birthday. We've been both hooked since.

I have a gaming blog on our family website:

http://www.rozmiarek.info/games/

I look forward to getting to know some of my fellow women BGGeekers better. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Estes
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone, I'm Deb from Los Angeles. I grew up playing the old standards, but re-started gaming about 7 years ago with my then boyfriend. I'm now the host of my local weekly gaming group and usually (but not always) the only female present aside from the cat.

My first upload to BGG was in 2001, so I've been around for a while (though my current ID reflects that I've only been here since 2005).

I feel free here to admit that I love to bling up my games with custom bits like my nail-polished purple Settlers/Carc bits. I'm such a girl.

I look forward to seeing what happens with this forum!

Deb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Oh, and June, I'm totally going to BGG.CON. See you there!

Woohoo! Woot woot woot!

I also have a love/hate relationship with my avatar. She's beautifully drawn/colored and a powerful symbol, yet she's evil, vain, petty, vindictive, and misguided. I hope I'm none of those. I think it would be fun to be that coldly beautiful ... just for a day anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
A Gren Fox in lieu of Miss Turtle Artist's fox
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I'm Jessica, everyone calls me Jess. I live in Southwestern Michigan.

I gamed a ton as a kid & through college, then got back into it when I wanted to play games with my kids. I bought a game at a thrift store and wanted to know more about it, & that's when I found BGG. I'm completely addicted.

My hubby is not much into gaming, but he really tries. My two oldest kids are gamers, my youngest is not so much.

I really love BGG & I'm glad there's a nod to the ladies here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
myadestes wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm Deb from Los Angeles. I grew up playing the old standards, but re-started gaming about 7 years ago with my then boyfriend. I'm now the host of my local weekly gaming group and usually (but not always) the only female present aside from the cat.

My first upload to BGG was in 2001, so I've been around for a while (though my current ID reflects that I've only been here since 2005).

I feel free here to admit that I love to bling up my games with custom bits like my nail-polished purple Settlers/Carc bits. I'm such a girl.

I look forward to seeing what happens with this forum!

Deb

Love it!

I bought a set of unpainted ones and did them with craft paint and Mod Podge in Easter egg pastels (yellow, pink, blue and green).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenna Sunderlin
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm Jenna, from Buffalo, NY. I started gaming about 3 or 4 years ago, and promptly turned it into one of my major obsessions (I always have a few going on). I mostly lurk here on the Geek, though I've been meaning to post more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Estes
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludocrazy wrote:
I bought a set of unpainted ones and did them with craft paint and Mod Podge in Easter egg pastels (yellow, pink, blue and green).

Nice! Ahhhh, I belong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi My name is Pat. (Funnily enough)

I am in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

I've been around BGG for along time. Way before they even had user accounts. I don't really remember the date, but it was when T&E was the #1 game. I didn't post at all back then, just read stuff and collect info/reviews on various games.

I'm in a game group of mostly men, that was formed via BGG. We meet 2-4 times a month at various location throughout the city. I have to say the very first meeting was pretty nervous making for me. I had to insist that my dh come with me (not that he minded, as he is an avid gammer too). We also sometimes attend sessions with the Terminal City gamers group.

My avatar is currently a photo of my son playing at a gig of his. So I guess I could say that I do have a relationship with my avatar, but this is probably not what you meant exactly.

I too like the game pieces bag. Especially the seamless lining part. I was playing Pillars the other day and we all kept pulling bits of thread out of the bag along with the player pieces!

I grew up playing board/card games in my family. In fact, when extended family got together, playing games was the entertainment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
myadestes wrote:

That is really cool looking! I like the matching dice! I like to bling up my games a bit and make a bunch of player aids. I need to get out there an do some more painting of bits myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe Robinson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:

My hubby is not much into gaming, but he really tries.

Oh my goodness, that's a delightful reversal of what I'm used to! Most of my gamer friends are guys, and all of them have wives/significant others who either actively hate gaming, or try but not really...

(I've never understood the phenomenon.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Kyrkos
United States
Sunnyside
New York
flag msg tools
NO MORE MOUNTAINTOP REMOVAL
badge
It was the Police Patrols, snooping into people’s windows. The patrols did not matter however. Only the Thought Police mattered.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm Mindy from Queens, NY. I am a "second-generation" gamer and have been gaming my whole life with my dad and brother (my dad has been a gamer since the '60s). I have converted my husband and many friends, and my gaming group has expanded over the years to about 15 friends and family members spread across 3 states. I attend WBC and Dexcon (in NJ) every year, and hope to make it to Euroquest this year, and BGG.con in the near future!

I am on BGG all the time, although I am mostly a lurker. For my next microbadge I plan to buy one of the female gamer ones, but I can't decide between "Female Strategy Gamer" and "Gamer Girl!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, everybody. I'm Mary in Rapid City, South Dakota, hence the username.

I've always liked playing board games but hated the selection in the stores. When I found Lost Cities one Christmas in a catalog, I searched online for more cool but unheard-of games and found the geek. That was in '03 and I've managed to collect almost 150 games since then. My current favorite is Tide of Iron.

My husband is my only regular gaming partner and humors me in my addiction. I can occasionally get my 24-year-old daughter to join in a game, and once or twice a month a fellow geek comes over for a few hours. I'd guess that I play more pbem games that f2f.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin Johnson
United States
Williamsport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I'm Kristin from Williamsport, Pennsylvania. I've been playing paper & pencil RPGs (D&D, Call of Cthulhu, Traveller) since around 1980, and was fortunate enough to end up marrying someone with an equal love of all things game-related (though he likes miniature games quite a lot more than I do!). I'd only been using BGG to look up my thrift store finds for a few years, but finally decided to sign up this year. I can't quite pinpoint my favorite type of board game, but my favorite game is Arkham Horror at the moment.

My avatar is Sammy, one of my three rats. Though tempted, I've yet to take a picture of my rats sitting in a game box lid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrienne
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I'm Adrienne, from Kennesaw, GA. I grew up playing the standard Monopoly and Scrabble. My boyfriend brought me to the gaming community about 5 years ago. First game we played that hooked me was Talisman. Aside from my obsession with that game, I am really into war gaming with the occasional card game.
I've always used his account to look at the site and kind of 'lurk'.

Nice meeting everyone!!

Adrienne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzan
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm Suzan, 28, from Enschede, the Netherlands.

I started playing games a few years back with Siedler and Roborally with a group of friends. Now we usually play tichu if we get together. And I play with my bf who also loves games (that's how I met him )

And blinging games pieces with nailpolish sounds cool! Only thing I ever did was buy nice green dice for Arkham Horror instead of those boring white ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [213] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.