Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4593 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [184] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Women and Gaming

Subject: So, Who Are the Ladies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BGG_Ladies_Are_Awesome! [+] ladies [+] Introductions [+] welcome [+] [View All]
Charlie Paull
United Kingdom
Nailsworth
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm Charlie and yes, that is a girl's name. I play all kinds of Euro games. I live in a little village in Gloucestershire in the UK.

We've just completed 6 weekends straight of games weekends with friends and games cons. A couple of weekend breathers now and then it all starts again. We play twice a week minimum and also go to Essen each year.

My other hobbies are cats and photography. BGG don't like you to put up pics of games with cats so my first few are on my gallery http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/user/73361 I plan to expand this with more cat games photos.

I design and make microbadges too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I'm Sandy! I registered on Dec. 29, 2004. I grew up in NJ, but now reside in the wonderful State of Rhode Island. My friend introduced me to Settlers of Catan. I like eurogames, word games, and abstracts. However, I am willing to give most any game a try once to make sure that I don't like it. I have a slight obsession with Tigger as can be evidenced by my avatar and one of my microbadges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
Another Law Chick
I just joined eariler this year after being introduced to gaming this winter.

I live in Tallahassee, Florida and find it nice to have a hobby besides "well I read a LOT".

I am lucky in my local group, nice people who play regularly. Also have aplyer who works at the same office complex so sometimes we meet for lunch games. My sweetie has a lot of games and we play as well, but a lot of the games I enjoy simply take more then two people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Estes
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:
So, am I the only person here who is tempted to start a thread called "Blinging up your bits"?

The nail polish is a great idea - I have some meeples au naturel that might just need painting once I get the kids to bed.

I'd love to see the glitter variants, too.

No, you're not the only one - I didn't mean to start a whole bling discussion in the introduction thread!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denee Tyler
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all. My name is Denee, and I am from the Utah County area of Utah. I got into BGG through my husband, Mark, who has been a member here for years. I love Euros, exploration, area majority, and Tichu-like games. I also play games with my students at the charter school where I teach eleventh grade English. I must also admit I am very much a social gamer. I like the talking and visiting with friends almost as much as the games themselves.blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Paull
United Kingdom
Nailsworth
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wife of Renegade wrote:
I like the talking and visiting with friends almost as much as the games themselves.blush

Really, no need to blush!! Don't we all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mama Rat
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wererat wrote:
Hi! I'm Kristin from Williamsport, Pennsylvania. I've been playing paper & pencil RPGs (D&D, Call of Cthulhu, Traveller) since around 1980, and was fortunate enough to end up marrying someone with an equal love of all things game-related (though he likes miniature games quite a lot more than I do!). I'd only been using BGG to look up my thrift store finds for a few years, but finally decided to sign up this year. I can't quite pinpoint my favorite type of board game, but my favorite game is Arkham Horror at the moment.

My avatar is Sammy, one of my three rats. Though tempted, I've yet to take a picture of my rats sitting in a game box lid.

I'd love to see pictures of your rats with your games! I recommend that you use girl rats for that project, though. My rat dudes will never get near my games--they're notorious for marking and would piddle all over everything. One of the cards from our Settlers Card Game was chewed on by a ratlet (after I repeated assured my husband that we could play in the rat room without mishap--"Don't worry honey, I'll watch them really closely, I promise!"), and I'm no longer permitted to allow rats and games to be in the same room at the same time.

Btw, I'm Alison, I live in Ann Arbor, MI, and I'm a bits whore. We own Through the Desert and Oasis because I could not resist the camels. Luckily, they both happen to also be really great games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin Johnson
United States
Williamsport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MamaRat wrote:
I'd love to see pictures of your rats with your games! I recommend that you use girl rats for that project, though. My rat dudes will never get near my games--they're notorious for marking and would piddle all over everything.

I have all males, and my concern was that the game box used for a photo wouldn't be quite fit to hold the game after my boys' photo shoot. blush Perhaps if I get a game like Hive or something else washable....

(They really make excellent pets though!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaadd Powell
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,
My nickname is Thaadd, and I'm from Minneapolis, MN. When I chose the nickname a good 10-12 years ago I had no idea that it was a real name, and in fact a boy's name. Misspelling happened along the way.

I've been a boardgamer for a long time (raised playing Clue, Alfred Hitchcock's MYSTERY!, and other sort of deduction games). I ended up a RPGer in highschool, and when my regularly gaming crew could no longer always hold down a steady line up, we moved on to board games. These days I tend to head toward 'Ameritrash' style games.

Through weird circumstances I ended up working at a boardgame company, where I am the Customer Service person. I in fact recognize alot of people's names here on BGG having mailed little bits of plastic out to them! Due to my nickname, and the industry, I get "Sir-ed" a fair bit, and when people call, have to repeat 'Yes, this is Thaadd, you're speaking to her' once in a while. It amuses me mostly. I rarely bother to correct anyone! I let my coworkers do that...

I tend to ghost BBG more than post (due to the whole work tie in thing!) but I'll see if I can't weigh in a bit more often...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm Louise, from Solihull, UK. Been hanging round here for a number of years now, being more or less active as the fancy takes me.

Fortunate to have a husband and teenage son who game, even if not quite as much as I do (we are halfway through a game of Antiquity at the moment) as well as many gaming friends- all the old RPG gamers and a fair number of gamers we've picked up as friends over the years.

Interests (apart from games of all sorts) - llamas, an assortment of pets, kayaking and camping, science and politics, bipolar disorder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's great to see the new faces here---as well as more familiar ones. Welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachelle Grein
United States
Royal Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody,
I'm Rachelle and I live in south florida.
I've always played board games, but have played Euros for the past 2 years now.
There are two groups of true board game geeks that I game with. I also run a board game group in a coffee house that is very social in nature -- mostly party games some dexterity games so far.

My two children( 11 and 13ish) like to boardgame with me.. More so my son - he will play anything with me but prefers games with monsters like 'Decent',,my Daughter is very theme driven with her gaming likes/dislikes. her favorite may be killer bunnies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Thaadd wrote:
Hello all,
My nickname is Thaadd, and I'm from Minneapolis, MN. When I chose the nickname a good 10-12 years ago I had no idea that it was a real name, and in fact a boy's name....

Oh awesome! I can vouch that Thaadd is a wonderful customer service person, and is the main reason my faith was restored in Fantasy Flight Games! And here I'd been attributing it to them finally hiring the right GUY for the customer service job! With that much improvement, I should've known it was a woman! Hee hee, just teasing!

Seriously though, I'm glad to see you unlurk and hope to read more of your posts here! Any chance you'll start a bgg-blog-based FFG mini-"rant"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine W
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Jerusalem where we have a great game group, which I'm temporarily hosting. I grew up in Menlo Park, California so I visit and try to game in that area also. As a kid I played Bridge and Mr. President and all the usual games. My two sons aren't into Eurogames - my daughter likes them but is in the army, though we do get to play when she's home. And she plays a lot of regular games on her base. My ex-husband wasn't into games.

My favorite Eurogame by far is Puerto Rico. I like and play a lot of games, but nothing comes close in tension, interaction and variety of the game experience, with or without Yehuda's off-the-wall buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Bjornseth
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I live near Denver, Colorado. I have loved games for almost my entire life. I played the typical American kids games when I was younger. When I was about 8 or so I tried to convince an older guy to let me play D&D with him and his friends, but you can guess how well that went! I did finally play D&D with some classmates when I was about 11, but I only went to one gaming session.

I started getting into video games in my early teens, then role-playing games, miniature wargames, and other Games Workshop games in my late teens. Went through the whole Magic craze when it first came out.

Then I played Settlers of Catan at a convention many years ago and have been hooked on Euro's ever since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe Robinson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:

Oh awesome! I can vouch that Thaadd is a wonderful customer service person, and is the main reason my faith was restored in Fantasy Flight Games!

Thaadd is darn nifty, and that's a fact;-).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Me!!

I'm a lady who loves to play! =-)

Ok I will have to write more than that later, but for now I have to get back to work.

Nuclear Waste Clean-up takes up a lot of my life. Paperwork takes up even more. (sigh)

Lynette
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ambrosine
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm Amby. New to board games but fast becoming very interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel and Jared Van Bussel
Canada
Pincher Creek
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty567 wrote:
Hi. My name is Susan and I'm a games-a-holic.

You`re addicted to games-a-hol! [/Simpsons]

I'm Rachel. Been playing card and board games forever (Rummy, Monopoly and the like) and more 'serious' games (Eurogames, epic strategies) for about the past 4 or 5 years. Unfortunately, finding time to play has become much more difficult since our son was born (as Susan can attest to - we have yet to make a session!)

I'm usually just a lurker on these sorts of things, but maybe I'll become more active...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bridget Jankowski
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridget here, in Toronto (well, Mississauga, actually, but close enough). I come from a family of avid card players with the occasional game of backgammon, my husband has been an Ameritrash fan and card player since childhood. But his & his friends' favourite card games were not the same as mine, and Axis & Allies wasn't really my thing, so we rarely, if ever, played games together. A few years ago (um, December 2004?), some friends in my department invited us for an afternoon of gaming that included something we'd never heard of: Puerto Rico. That hooked us, followed closely by Settlers, Carc and Bohnanza.

We hadn't bought a new game in probably 15 years at that point, but we've since made up for a little lost time. Funny how old habits die hard - I still lean toward card games (Mystery Rummy, Wyatt Earp) and abstracts, while Husband is still into Ameritrash (me, still not so much). But he has his old friends to play those with - and then they call me at the end of the TI:3 or Arkham Horrow session and I run down to get in on the game of Power Grid or Santiago.

I've also made sure to stock us up on 2-player games for those several-month-long stretches when everyone else is too busy to have a game day. Summer's here, though, we might be due for one of those soon.

We both have accounts here on BGG, but I make use of mine a lot more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Schmitt
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi! I'm in Baltimore MD. I've always liked playing games, but I got into game communities and organizing game gatherings after my husband Gavin started Robot Martini Games. I try to run a women-only game gathering every month or so, so please let me know if you are in the Baltimore area and interested!

By day I'm an elementary art teacher in the city school system. I actually just started a thread about art and spatial awareness games in the new Games in the Classroom section.

Cheers to the ladies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Egan
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Through weird circumstances I ended up working at a boardgame company, where I am the Customer Service person. I in fact recognize alot of people's names here on BGG having mailed little bits of plastic out to them! Due to my nickname, and the industry, I get "Sir-ed" a fair bit

Hey, I recently got some plastic from you...
and from the name I did assume you were a male.

How do you like working for a game company? I've sometimes thought that might me a cool job to have.
I quit work to stay home with my kids...but now that they are older I've thought about going back to work outside the home...but I don't necessarily want to do what I did before. I'd like to be able to combine work and hobby. Or maybe that would be overkill?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesca DeStefano
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Hi.

I'm Geosphere's wife, and I've never posted in the forums because he posts more than enough for both of us, so I figure he's used up our family quota.

I like BattleLore, Apples To Apples, RuneBound, Blue Moon, used to be radically addicted to the Highlander card game and Dragon Dice, but we haven't played those in years.

I'll play whatever he wants, but we don't have time for more than a few games a week.

It would be greatly appreciated if you bought more Adiken paints and minis from Paul so I can get the garage cleared out again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squeeker
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I am Arielle i live in Boulder Colorado. I started gaming a little less than a year ago, my first game was Killer Bunnies. Then my friend Ali introduced it to me Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers along with BGG. Since then I have played some good games and some really bad games. Among the good: Carcassonne (Basic, Traders & Builders, The Tower, Inns & Cathedrals and The Princess & The Dragon), Fjords, Mission: Red Planet, Citadels (Including the Dark City Expansion), Eurphrates & Tigris, Fluxx and Aquarius. I am really interested in finding new more SciFi-ish games but due to not knowing anyone interested in gaming I have failed to find any such games. Happy Gaming everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Watson
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I'm Susan, I live in Mesa, AZ, and I'll play pretty much anything. I grew up playing games - I was raised by my grandmother, who played Scrabble for blood. Word games, puzzles, card games, board games, wargames, tabletop games, RPGs - they're all good. I just joined BGG formally, but have read the forums on and off for a while now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [184] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.