Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
587 Posts
[1]  Prev «  8 , 9 , 10 , 11 , 12  Next »  [24] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: What's hot with the kids at YOUR house? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: kids [+] children [+] KIDS! [+] Family [+] FUN! [+] kids_too_young [+] zForum_Best [+] [View All]
William Bekking
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
My six year old daughter demands to play Ticket to Ride every day now. We usually play 3 players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gertrude McFuzz

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My almost 9 year old has been in love with Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game since January, and we've logged around 20 plays, but he is less interested in revisiting scenarios. Recently, he's been asking for Tales of the Arabian Nights.

Recently my 5 and 2 year old have made a little gaming breakthrough in that they will play some ("bigger" kid) games together (without fighting). We've had success with Animal Upon Animal and Sorry! Sliders.

My 2 (almost 3) year old has also been enjoying Max, Princess, and 3D Labyrinth lately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefanie Kethers
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 4-year-old has just discovered Kayanak. We played 4 games tonight, and I can see this happen again tomorrow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Norris
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most recently the hot game with the kids has been Perfect Stride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently my girls are playing:

7 Y/O:
1. Chess (always her fav)
2. Castle Panic
3. Pokémon Trading Card Game

5 y/o (cant play enough games)
1. Castle Panic
2. Forbidden Island
3. Pokémon Trading Card Game
4. Small World
5. Sleeping Queens
6. anything she can get her hands on that has dice, cards or meeples.

These are the choices that usually come out when they decide on the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joyce King
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
My baby has played 3,5,6. Maybe we will try the other three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
38.978164N 76.486881W
Maryland
flag msg tools
    My boys, 8, 8, and 11 are stepping into Magic: The Gathering now after a year+ playing Pokémon Trading Card Game.

I'll be honest -- one of my 8yo boys liked the Magic cards I had lying around but I don't think he would have stepped up to play were it not for the older boy providing guidance. As it stands at 8 the two youngest still need my 11yo (or me on nights and weekends) to help them with rules clarifications. I get the feeling they could play without one of the two of us there, but the rules would be sloppy and there'd be arguments. That's inevitable with twins. With my older boy or me available to clear the minutia they play reasonably solid games.

Deck-building to date for the 8yo boys is about non-existent. The 11yo has his brain grinding on the deck-build 24/7.

We still go to the Pokémon TCG group nearby and all three boys enjoy, but the transition is well underway. I was pleased to see them skip Yu-Gi-Oh! and its knock-offs that seem to wander in the middle ground between Pokemon and Magic. Pokemon was an excellent start both theme-wise and complexity-wise. I've done Pokemon birthday parties teaching a dozen 8yo boys simultaneously -- the game's ruleset is rigid enough and simple enough to pull that off. It can reach down to about age 6 with coaching, 8 without, and the theme is captivating for boys of that age.

Magic: The Gathering can carry the boys into adulthood if they choose to continue. I'm still coaching my 11yo on this one though he is 90% on board by himself. The bigger issue I have with Magic (and this it true to some extent with Pokemon) is that my boys will get frustrated when a brother presents them with a killer combination. All three will deem the puzzle unsolvable and want to withdraw and I have to coach them through the business process required to overcome the obstacle. "How do we break that combination?" is the phrase of the day at my house, an effort to calm them down and transition them into the critical thinking required to disassemble a particularly good combination of cards. Teaching "don't panic" to young kids is valuable and both Magic and Pokemon have provided me with opportunities to do that. Most other games don't present scenarios where that's a primary lesson, so I think this style of game is very useful for kids of this age.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MMB
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 10-year old's current faves:

Hive
YINSH
Water Lily

And, in addition to her abstract love, we both recently fell in love with:
Archaeology: The Card Game - set collecting done right and much shorter than TTR. I also LOVE that it punishes card hoarding strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic appears to be taking a back seat to Carcassonne and The Settlers of Canaan lately with my 8-year-old son. This past weekend we broke out the miniatures that we painted and got them on the table with Starfire (3rd Edition) scenario #1. It seems like a good fit for his age level and it is neat to see this months long project come to fruition. (I'm not sure yet how much he likes it and how much he's humoring me....)

He and my 5-year-old daughter both continue to ask me to run Labyrinth Lord sessions, but we just haven't had the time....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peace
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
"If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You have another chance."
badge
"I'm not screwed. I'm beyond screwed. Screwed is sitting across the room, waving at me, and saying, 'Hi! Glad I'm not you!'"
mbmbmbmbmb
Here lately, the primary gaming children (15-year-old son and 10-tear-old daughter) have been loving 7 Wonders, as has the wife. I am winning all around! Well... except that everyone but the 10-year-old usually clobber me. Oh well, it's the playing not the winning, right? meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chenier La Salle
msg tools
designer
Wife kids and I will play a board game once or twice a week. We take turns choosing the activity on the weekend in the evening. Wife and daughter (12) will generally opt for some Japanese variety TV (met wwife in Japan where I lived for 10 years). When it's our turn, son (9) and I will choose a board game.

Ticket to Ride is always a crowd pleaser. Claiming routes; recognizable cities; little trains; destination tickets. The game is simply fun. Boardgame candy.

That's Life is also popular
Was fun to watch them all learn basic strategies. When you get the basics down, luck becomes the main factor but it's still fun. A lot of games fit that description.

Blokusand Blockus 3Dare popular.

We discovered No Thanksrecentely and enjoyed it very much. Again, it's fun for dad to watch the kids slowly understand basic strategies behind the game and see the kids applying them to their advantage. A simple daddy pleasure. I like it. Suggest you all try it.

We played a few games of Thurn and Taxislast week. Wife and daughter enjoyed. Son says it's "OK". He can't enjoy the geography part of it like mom and dad but he's passively learning a bit of geography which can't be bad. Unfortunately, the game has very little conflict and interaction. It's mostly about optimizing your moves. There's a better game out there to be made using some of the new mechanics created by the author. Like Ticket to ride, the cards with cities are fun to handle.

We played a few games of Carcassonnebut kids don't ask for it very often. Maybe some of my friends here can suggest a good expansion or offshoot that makes it more fun.

We played Tiki Topplea few times. Got it for $5 at a Barnes and Noble clearance a month ago. Was enjoyable. The basic idea is clever but there's a little something missing to make it a true favorite.

Looking forward to trying Zooloretto, Forbidden Island and Hey That's my Fish which we're recomended by many of you. Just bought them last week during the sales.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scipio O.
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a close race of Turfmaster with my 7 year old daughter, and the whole family played Pandemic. Recently played this SPQR battle of Ilipa with my 11 year old.

My oldest is often busy making his own board and (especially) card games, some of which are actually pretty fun to play.

Both kids like to play Colonia even though the box says 14+. I frankly am a bit thrown by the whole collecting bits of dead saints thing, but whatever works right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MMB
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter beat me at YINSH and Thurn and Taxis this past weekend.

However, she asks to play Go Travel: Africa which is a Go Fish-type game. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Howell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest hot games for our kids this month are:

Knock Your Blocks Off
Martian Dice
Dixit Odyssey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hendrix
United States
Talladega
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets see...how about my 7 year old

The Game of Life (40th Anniversary Edition)
DungeonQuest (third edition)
Carcassonne
Animal Upon Animal
Sorry! Sliders

I also have my 5 year old Sunday school class who love:

PitchCar
Animal Upon Animal
Tumblin' Monkeys
Sorry! Sliders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Canales
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My 4 yr old:
huge on Survive.
new hotness, forbidden island, heroica and Spot it
classics with him,
kids of carcassonne
dig eat hotdog
mausenfieber
gulo gulo
hornet
pitchcar
sorry sliders
micro mutants
hey that's my fish
heroscape marvel and dnd
Uno farm
missile comand
the adventurers
carcassonne
dungeon
angry birds

there's more he often asks for but can't remember any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chenier La Salle
msg tools
designer
Forgot to mention another favourite, FINCA. Kid - and wife - ask for that one. Very colourful game, with many wooden pieces of 'fuit' to collect. Very easy to to learn. Gameplay features some clever new mechanism. Not complex by any means but enjoyable light fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cookman
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My son (9 yo) and his friends play Flash Point: Fire Rescue every time they get together (sometimes I'm home in the afternoon and get to play, too) ; )

They also like:

Forbidden Island
KABOOM!
Street Illegal
and sometimes . . .
Castle Panic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Meyers
United States
Central Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most requested games in our house (kids 8,9, 9, and 10) right now are:

Red November
Dominion
Lifeboat
Mag·Blast (Third Edition)

And I do admit I need to do some buying to increase their selection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juanjo
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids (5 and almost 3) do not enjoy boardgames right now and I do not know if it's my fault or simply that they are not used to.

I've trayed this games with different level of success:

Ribbit
Hungry Wolves
Diego Drachenzahn

The girl (5) do not focus on rules and she get's bored very fast. The little boy is just to young to be able of playing nothing more complex than destroying things.

I had some success with Dancing Eggs. Must I choose more "active" games instead of real board games? Any advice, please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
38.978164N 76.486881W
Maryland
flag msg tools
Findus wrote:

Must I choose more "active" games instead of real board games? Any advice, please?

Your kids are still mostly in the "let's pretend" stage in their development. Don't push formal rules on them at this point -- they'll find their own way.

One of the reasons I've always recommended Heroscape is that it has a puzzle creation aspect and a role-play aspect that let it reach down to young ages, regardless of the gameplay itself. It's getting hard to find now. Games with plush minis let your kids just "play" instead of "play games". That's valuable at your kids' ages.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2 year old daughter's (she will be three in March) favourite games are:

1/ Gulo Gulo: she beats mummy and daddy most of the times
2/ Orchard
3/ Animal upon Animal

She just received Chicken Cha Cha Cha as a gift last week-end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Delaware
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've started a Sunday-evening game night with my 4yo son and are playing:

1) Animal Upon Animal
2) Dominos (using a slightly reduced count and adding a new # every week)

He's enjoying both and asks for them, which is great. We'll be adding a few more for Christmas. We're using multiple games to keep it interesting and go from one "station" to another, usually with a popcorn break at some point in the evening.

Good times indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zaleski
United States
Wintersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to go back and read this thread, thanks for digging it up. I've been playing with my 7, 6, and 4 year olds lately

1) Ubongo lately, though where just solving puzzles, not actually doing the gem part yet. Though they are dying to use the gems, we just generally stop grabbing them half way through since doing the puzzles are so much fun.

2) Amzeing Labrynth and
3) Sleeping Queens

2) and 3) have been favorites for a long time and still get played often. We play a lot more, but I normally push them to give me a break from these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Moldvay" Basic Dungeons & Dragons is red hot at my house right now.

First I took my 6-year-old daughter and my eight-year-old son to explore the Keep on the Borderlands and the Caves of Chaos in short, individual sessions. Then, last weekend we had an epic game session altogether.

Good times!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  8 , 9 , 10 , 11 , 12  Next »  [24] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.