Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lester Dizon
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've not had a chance to study the rules for either game but I would like opinions on how JVT compares to Mykerinos along these general lines:

1) Complexity
2) Length
3) Fit between theme and mechanics
4) Ideal number of players
5) Overall game weight
6) Luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, there's not really much comparison at all between these two games besides the theme, but here's the comparison you asked for.

1) Complexity - Both games are on the low end of the complexity scale, with Jenseits being slightly more complex.

2) Length - Neither game is that long, either. I'd say Mykerinos is about a 30-45 minute game, while Jenseits is about an hour or slightly more.

3) Fit between theme/mechanics - Mykerinos has pretty much no fit between theme/mechanics, while Jenseits really gives you the feel of excavating/exhibiting wares. Basically, Mykerinos abstracted the process to a degree where you really don't feel that it's an archaeology game, while Jenseits really gives you that feel.

4) Number of players - I've played both games with 2-4, and they seem to play fine with any of those numbers. Four seems ideal, though.

5) Game weight - They both have the feel of a filler, although Mykerinos is more so. Jenseits has a little more to it that makes it more engaging than a filler.

6) Luck - Mykerinos has nearly no luck, while luck plays a large part in Jenseits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lin
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, to address your questions:

1) both games are pretty simple to learn. I think JVT is more intuitive just by reading the rules. Mykerinos is straight forward once you know the cards and scoring.

2) Mykerinos is definitedly shorter just because of the things involved. JVT requires flipping cards and looking at charts. Although not difficult, people do take time to decide.

3) both have very very strong themes. Both are perfect in this case.

4) again, both are very easy games to learn but I think mykerinos is less 'luck' based.

5) oh, i just answered that...

Both are great games.
Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Dizon
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting. Thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.