Popular Tags: [View All]
TOKYO Heartbroken
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally we played an old Knizia game, Nuba. This has a theme of Africans wrestling and playing music to celebrate the harvest. Yeah, ok. It's an odd abstract game and the comments here compare Nuba to chess. And that seems a fair analogy, as Richard won the second game after styling his attack like a chess game.

You open by placing 10 pieces numbered 1-9 and your champion X. They only move forward on the small chequerboard and the lower number takes the higher. X always takes but is always taken. Think about it, it's a clever rule. If X lands on an opposing piece it always wins regardless of the number. But if the opposing piece attacks X, any number would beat X. So the timing of your X moves really matters.

Any piece that makes it to the backrow goes to the scoring zone. Here the higher number displaces the lower ones, so only one piece emerges victorious. If your X gets to the backrow, it's an instant win.

On our first match, Richard let my 7 slip through early on. The game turned on whether he could get his 8 or 9 through, but I blocked them out. Second match, Richard put his high numbers, the more vulnerable ones, to the front, but attacked hard with his 1 and X. This left him with a clear run for his 9, but the match was not over, as I tried moving my 9 down the other wing. Too late I brought up support and Richard pincered my 9 to secure the win.

Nuba is not bad, but not great. It's too sub-Chess to stand out, but is a quick light game. A random draw at the start might improve things, but I wonder if there are any real tactics here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.