Popular Tags: [View All]
Wray Ferrell
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens to the counters in the King's Bonus that you do not use during your turn? Do they stay there just like the array? Are they discarded? Or are they moved down to the array?

Thanks, Wray

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave L.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Good question Wray. I just got a copy of this and this was my first question as well. Since it's been seven months since you asked, I'm going to assume that there is no answer forthcoming.

My initial instinct was to move whatever was left down to the array. But after thinking about it, I changed my mind. It seems more thematic to discard any unused King's Bonus back to the draw bag. The troops in the array are loyal to your family, but the King's Bonus are loyal to the King and so it seems they should disperse once the King has died (or moved on to another stage of life I guess). I decided to put them back in the bag instead of taking them off the board because they didn't die in battle. This also seems potentially more interesting for game play, since the player has to figure out how to use the troops, or else lose them or see them get redrawn by another player. Did you decide on something Wray?

Even though I haven't played this with other people yet, I'm thinking about a King's favor variant. It seems to me that the selection of the reigns is a bit anti-thematic, even with the variant proposed by the Ragnar Brothers. I'm wondering if there is a way to have a bid for the favor of the king before each turn, with some limitations and rules (ie, someone has to win it and the non-consecutive rule should be maintained).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Owen
United States
Lisle
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked the rules this morning, because it's been several months since I've played.

To me, it's pretty clear.

Under "The turn sequence" heading (under section 4 - the sequence of play section), the first bullet reads:
"Draw extra counters equal to the King's bonus. These counters may be taken from the player's household or drawn from the bag..... These counters are now treated as part of that player's array."

So, as part of the player's array, at the end of the turn, if they are unused, they would stay in the array. At the end of your turn, if your array is less than 10 counters (I can't see why it wouldn't be), then draw back up to 10.

That's the way I read the rules and that's the way I now remember playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave L.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
John, you are correct. Steve Kendall confirmed that any leftover King's Bonus is retained as part of the array at the end of the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.