Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anyone want to review or leave their thoughts of the game.

where does this fitting into gaming categories. would people call this a war game, or something more like wh40k? it this a difficult game to play. how involved do i have to get. I want to branch out a bit, with the games i'm playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Samuel,

I've only played this once, so take my comments with a grain of salt!

Dirtside is a miniatures game - sort of like 40K.

I think it is an excellent rules set, as far as minis games go this one isn't too complex, yet contains plenty that is interesting. The game is basically about ground based warfare - from what I recall - mostly (maybe totally) between vehicles. There are vehicle creation rules with the game that add heaps.

The army selection system is points based, using the vehicle construction rules allows you to build whatever you want and makes the game very flexible and open to evolving strategies.

I really enjoyed the game - and would certainly played more of it had that been an option (I moved away from the play group at the time).

The rules aren't too complex, no more than 40K. I see you have Doom - the rules aren't really much more complex than those - though of course the rules booklet is quite larger.

You can use whatever miniatures you want to - especially with the vehicle creation rules - in fact the system is designed so you can easily change between settings if you so desire - playing a starwars themed game if you have the minis and spend a bit of time creating the vehicle stats.

I'd also google Dirtside II - the rules are by the same group (I believe) who made the games Full Thrust (an excellent space ship combat miniatures game) and Stargrunt (more infantry based than Dirtside and was the basis for the Kryomek system which was really good imo). The three rules sets can be used together if you so desire to play massive campaigns ranging from fleet battles to large scale tank enagements and squad based infantry skirmishes. But of course you don;t have to get that involved if you don't want.

If you wanted you could play the game using prepainted Mechs from Mechwarrior, plastic minimicro Tanks and so forth - or you could buy a set of neat minis and paint them up. Either way the game is good. I believe there is an offical line of minis - there is certainly an official setting - though the rules don;t demand you use either.

Cheers - hope that helps!

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: anyone want to review or leave their thoughts of the gam
Yeah i'm actually reading the manual for full thrust at the moment.
To be honest i'm looking for games to extend my current gaming choices, but i really don't want to spend money on things all that much.

I used to be into warhammer 40K big time, but i quit because of the price, and i've got no desire to buy minitures as such.

Full thrust looks pretty good, because i can just use cards/chits. you could totally do the same thing for this game too, but i'm kinda digging the space rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes you could use card tokens for dirtside. Its a great game that has lots of neat stuff going on and the rules are not too intimidating. I used whatever miniatures i can get hold of, so I have sci fi tanks raging war against T-34s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I'm late to this dance...

I'll second the thought of using WizKids's MechWarrior minis for DSII. Pre-painted, the right scale and you can get them cheaply from eBay or your FLGS. You don't need a ton of minis to play, either.

I hope you liked the Full Thrust rules! You can use preactically any set of spaceships to play and the system is smooth!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.