Popular Tags: [View All]
Terence Co
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An excellent game on the Taiping rebellion in fact, its so good that in my opinion not only captures the flavour of the era but is also very historical and has excellent graphics(I highly disagree with the other poster who did not like the graphics). Basically its a disinterested Manchu emperor who is struggling to focus his huge forces in order to destroy the Taiping threat(very difficult at the start) vs. the small but growing Taiping cancer.

The Taipings also initially have better quality units than the Manchus and have very superior initial starting leaders but as the Manchus start getting concerned at start mobilizing the country to destroy the Taipings, the Manchus slowly get better quality units and leaders(especially the EVA which is probalby the best units in the game).

As for the system, its a Richard Berg impulse style system which is similiar to the one used in his Pax Romana/Conquerors game(without the chit pull), in fact many points in other of his systems are seen here(such as the attrition system seen in his Crusades and Onwards Christian Solidier games).

Many people say that the rules are daunting but I did not encounter this problem but I would reckon that a novice would be confused by the rules.

There are a lot of charts and dice rolling but not really that bad of a wristlage factor. But the game flows smooth and there is only a few errata.

Quite a fun and balanced game. The Taipings I think has to hit hard and win as fast as he can before the Manchus become commited to wiping out the Taipings but again as the Taipings become stronger, the Manchus become more commited so its a two edged sword.

Now why a 10, because, it has a very interesting system which while having a fair number of charts is easy to play and flows well, the rules are OK to read. There is a lot of flavour to the game and a lot of political stuff which was quite historical and is balanced to boot. And I do like the graphics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read the rules today; looks interesting and can't wait to get it on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.