Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
My role model for his brains, calm demeanour and appetite for snacks!
mbmbmbmbmb
SLAMWICH – A REVIEW

Front box cover (image uploaded by EJKemp)

Overview:
Slamwich is a 2-player game where victory hinges on the greed and quickness of each player’s hands. Well...ok, I was kidding about the greed, though quick hands are undoubtedly a significant part of gameplay. The game ends when one player has collected all the cards in the game--and is declared the winner--and the other player has run out of cards to play during his or her turn. Cards are obtained by snapping them when certain conditions are met (more of that in the next section). Any discarded cards that a player collects are placed at the bottom of his or her deck in hand, and will be re-used during the game.

Flow of Play:
The deck of 55 cards in Slamwich consists of 3 card types: "Ingredient", "Thief" and "Muncher" cards. At the start of the game, the entire deck is shuffled and the cards dealt equally between both players face-down; the odd card will be placed face-up in the middle of the table, representing the first card of the discard pile. Each player takes the top card from his or her pile and places it face-up on top of the discard pile, one after another. Players can snap and collect the cards in the discard pile when any of the following conditions occur which basically forms a "Slamwich":

"Double Decker" – two "Muncher" cards, or "Ingredient" cards with the exact same ingredients, are discarded in a row.

"Slamwich" – two "Ingredient" cards with the exact same ingredients are separated by only one other "Ingredient" card.

"Thief" – when a "Thief" card is played. "Thief" cards have images of masked burglars holding a sandwich in their hands. Players have to call "Stop Thief!" in this case as they snap, or their snap will not be valid.

"Muncher" cards (image uploaded by EndersGame)

In Slamwich, "Muncher" cards are a bit more unique. If a player discards a "Muncher" card, the opposing player has to discard a number of cards that is equal to the number on the "Muncher" card. If there are no “Slamwich” opportunities, the “Munching” player gets to keep all the cards in the discard pile. However, players can snap as per normal play if any one of the above “Slamwich” conditions are met during the opposing player’s discards.

Luck-Skill Balance:
The primary skill involved in Slamwich is the ability to recognize patterns, while the luck factor revolves around the draw of the cards from each deck, and the quickness of each player’s reflexes once the conditions for a Slamwich have been reached.

Rules Book – Layout & Complexity:
The rules book is very short and concise so it is very easy to understand the game from a few reads of it at the most. There will be some need to refer back to it during the first 2 or 3 plays to ensure that the rules for making a “Slamwich” are fully understood.

Components:

"Ingredient" cards (image uploaded by EndersGame)

The card material is of mediocre quality and could be made of harder stock, in consideration of the intensive use these cards will be prone to in the game. The fact that the cards are cut into the shape of sandwich slices certainly makes Slamwich a visually appealing game but this in turn brings a headache for players who are looking to obtain sleeves to increase their durability.

My Thoughts:
This game can be quite intense as players keep their eyes peeled on the discard pile. On the practical side, the weird shapes of the cards can make it harder to gather them up in one's hand, especially when a player has just won all the cards in a relatively-packed discard pile. Not collecting the cards so that all of them face the same direction may lead to increased wear and tear on the cards if they are not arranged properly and held carelessly in one's hand during games. Gameplay is generally short at about 30 minutes per round, though more time will be required if the advantage persistently swings from one player to the other.

To conclude, Slamwich is highly recommended for friends who are looking to have a great gameplay experience within a short span of time, or party gamers who are looking to add to their range of ready-to-play-anytime games.

EDIT: Added captions for pictures, and clarification from query (see following posts).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. It wasn't mentioned explicitly, but i'm guessing:

Endgame is when player's piles are empty.

Score is the number of discards you've grabbed over course of the game.

Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
My role model for his brains, calm demeanour and appetite for snacks!
mbmbmbmbmb
unixrevolution wrote:
Nice review. It wasn't mentioned explicitly, but i'm guessing:

Endgame is when player's piles are empty.

Score is the number of discards you've grabbed over course of the game.

Is that correct?

Thanks for the compliment.

The game ends when one player has collected all the cards in the game, and the other player has run out of cards to play during his or her turn. Discarded cards that you collect are placed at the bottom of your deck in hand, and will be re-used during the game.

Hope that clears things up? If it does, I will edit my review to include this point. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That does indeed clear it up, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.