publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Web Site: http://onboardgames.net/
RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
Email us: onboardgames.net@gmail.com

On Board Games Round Table

Scott, Erik, & Donald discuss games that promote social interaction

Stoplight Reviews

Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1 2, & 3, from Multi Man Publishing reviewed by Erik (Ayrk)

Airlines& Airlines: United States Set 2 from Avalanche Press Ltd. reviewed by Erik (Ayrk)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
BEST... EPISODE... EVER!!!!

thumbsup

(Of course, I guess I really should listen to it before I make any judgements, though.blush )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, now I've listened. And while those host people were okay I guess, wasn't the whole underlying theme/premise just frickin' brilliant?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kilroy_locke wrote:
Okay, now I've listened. And while those host people were okay I guess, wasn't the whole underlying theme/premise just frickin' brilliant?!

It was indeed.

But if you really feel that way you could share the love by giving us the finger... er, I mean... "Giving us a thumbs up."

I hope we covered the topic to your satisfaction! What do you think makes a game more social than others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great episode with an interesting conversation. As for my opinions on the topic at hand:

1) Party games seem to provide the largest amount of social interaction. Games like GiftTrap and Imaginiff encourage interaction because the players are the subject of the game. Games like Time's Up and Cranium encourage interaction because the players work together in teams. This brings up a whole different type of game that you neglected...

2) Cooperative games, such as Lord of the Rings and Shadows Over Camelot, basically require player interaction. Without it these games will not work.

Awhile back we were playing Ticket to Ride and we had 6 people, so Rikki offered to sit out. She sat and watched and about halfway through the game she said, "Are we always this quiet when we play?" That one sentence has haunted me ever since. Every time we play, all I can think about is the fact that we're playing a game with a very minimal amount of communication. It actually caused me to lower my rating of TtR. I love socializing while playing games, and if I can't talk with the other players I don't have as much fun.

On a side note: Bravo, Erik! You actually made ASLSK sound somewhat interesting to me, and I'm about as far from a wargamer as they come. Don't get me wrong, I won't be rushing out to purchase a Starter Kit, but at least I can better appreciate why others enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
On a side note: Bravo, Erik! You actually made ASLSK sound somewhat interesting to me, and I'm about as far from a wargamer as they come. Don't get me wrong, I won't be rushing out to purchase a Starter Kit, but at least I can better appreciate why others enjoy the game.

Woot!

I feel like Steve Martin in the Jerk when he opens the phone book.

"I'm somebody now!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.