Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Pearsall
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Check out my blog, Board Game Radar!!!
Stop! That tickles!
This game got a lot of play in my house in my younger years. In the game, you would try to assemble a football team through drafting and trading. It makes me wonder if the people who invented fantasy football used to play this game as kids, too.

Inside the box are 4 different types of cards, 4 players stands to hold your teams and a big orange plastic football. The football was molded to have spots to hold the cards and included a spinner in the top.

The different cards were Player Cards, Value Cards, Contract Cards, and Option Cards.

The Player Cards were simply football trading cards. They could be exchanged for your own cards if desired, the only important thing about each card was the position the player played.

Whenever a player was acquired, they would get the top Value Card in the deck. These were broken down into 'A' cards and 'B' cards. The 'B' players were the solid, dependable players. Their ratings ranged from 25 to 60. The 'A' players fluctuated more. Their ratings went all the way up to 100, but you also risked getting a 0. A nice touch was included by having a short description with the number. You might have a '75 - Crowd Pleaser' at Wide Receiver, a '40 - Promising' at Tackle, but be stuck with a '10 - Refuses to play on Sunday' at Quarterback.

The monetary system in the game was handled through the Contract Cards. This was how you paid for the players you were picking up. They ranged from $5,000 to $50,000. You can tell the game is old!

The final type of card is the Option Card. These were cards that let you do special things on your turn, like signing a TV agreement to collect contracts, trading one of your players for someone else's, or simply taking one of your opponent's sidelined players.

To start, everybody would get 2 players (with values), 6 contracts, 1 option and a stand to hold your players.

On each turn, the player would have 3 options. They could play an option card, enter a sidelined player into their starting lineup, or spin the spinner in the middle of the football and follow the directions. The spinner would give you (or take away) options and contracts and would usually start an auction.

There were 2 types of auctions, open and closed. In the open auction, players would verbally call out their bids, until no one else could match the highest bid. That player would then discard the appropriate number of contracts and take the top player and value from the holder. The closed auction was silent, where everyone would secretly put a pile of contracts face down in front of them. Whoever put the largest amount would win the player. In both auction types, you would know what position the player was, but not know their value. You would only know if they were an 'A' or a 'B' player.

The game would end when someone filled their 11 player roster. Everyone would then add up all their player values, with the person who filled their tray getting 75 bonus points. The highest score wins!

This game was alot of fun for kids. It would not hold up for adults as much of the game was random luck, but it would be a great way to spend time with the kids. Plus it was great fun bidding on Terry Bradshaw and Larry Czonka!

I give it a 5 now, but would have given it an 8 in the late 70's.

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.