Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I noticed when I inventoried my game tonight that I have eight tickets that connect from country to country. There are really only 4 different ones since there are 4 pairs of duplicate cards.

My question is what happens if you draw the same country to country card twice? Do you have to connect to two different country location points at each end? Or could you use the same route?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
Trumpy, you can do stupid things!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was connected to all 4 countries and when I drew these cards it's instant points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vilfroy
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Al Johnson wrote:
I noticed when I inventoried my game tonight that I have eight tickets that connect from country to country. There are really only 4 different ones since there are 4 pairs of duplicate cards.

My question is what happens if you draw the same country to country card twice? Do you have to connect to two different country location points at each end? Or could you use the same route?

If you happen to draw 2 of the same country to country card, you can score both using the same route for both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eerko Vissering
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Download on the App Store
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomvilfroy wrote:
Al Johnson wrote:

If you happen to draw 2 of the same country to country card, you can score both using the same route for both.

Isn't that a bit weird? I my game, I just connected Germany with Italy, and then drew three (3!) cards with the same route again. That would give me 39 instant points, which is pretty unbeatable.

We solved it by not counting duplicate routes, so to be able to score with the duplicate destination ticket I'd have to complete one of the other routes on the ticket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caesar! wrote:
Isn't that a bit weird? I my game, I just connected Germany with Italy, and then drew three (3!) cards with the same route again.

Oh really? Because there are actually only two (2!) copies of any given country-to-country ticket in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eerko Vissering
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Download on the App Store
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timstellmach wrote:
Caesar! wrote:
Isn't that a bit weird? I my game, I just connected Germany with Italy, and then drew three (3!) cards with the same route again.

Oh really? Because there are actually only two (2!) copies of any given country-to-country ticket in the game.

Yes, and two the other way. In the game I played, I had the Germany to Italy ticket completed, when I drew another Germany to Italy ticket, and two Italy to Germany tickets. Hence, three times the same route (direction doesn't matter in the route).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chantigny
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, got the same problem here! I was getting all these small tickets (3-5 points) and my g/f kept hitting the same routes country-to-country. She actually got all 4 of them (2x this to that and 2x that to this). It's a bit weird. We decided that we'll make a house rule that you can't do 2x the exact same card with the same route. If you lucky enough to draw this to that and that to this well good for you, but 2x the same card!? :-? That or we'll just remove the duplicates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caesar! wrote:
Yes, and two the other way.

Ah! Yes, I take your meaning now.

Still, quite a stroke of luck. Odds are not good of you drawing any one of those cards, and drawing all three in one go is extremely unlikely. I would probably have made the same choice to allow for that chance (rather than complicating the rule) had I been the designer, though it seems a fine house rule to say differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carlton
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's part of the appeal to the game. There are some juicy tickets out there. But there's also limited space on the board. Do you claim the routes you need, only to watch your opponent draw tickets (discarding any that he doesn't keep!)? Or do you grab tickets early and hope you can still find a route through later?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think having the duplicate country tickets are somewhat unbalancing and unnecessary. We have tried removing one set (so have one of each instead of two of each) and have found that this works quite well (10+ games so far)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fitch
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
commandwolf wrote:
I also think having the duplicate country tickets are somewhat unbalancing and unnecessary. We have tried removing one set (so have one of each instead of two of each) and have found that this works quite well (10+ games so far)...

We weren't too happy with scoring 2 times for a duplicate ticket either. I think the next time we play we will say that you can score duplicate tickets, but you can't score a country-to-country route more than once. So if you have 2 of the Italy -> Other Countries, then you could score 1 ticket as Italy > Germany, and the other as Italy > France if you have both of those routes completed, but you couldn't score it twice if you only had the Italy > Germany route completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

So we have two answers kicking around: If you have connected France and Italy and have two cards that require connecting France to Italy, do you score the high score twice? Or score that value once and score France and Germany on the other card?

Does it matter if one is France->* and one is Italy->*?

Does anyone have an *authoritative* answer?

I either lost by a few points to my wife last night or beat her by a few, so its *really* important.

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You score twice.

andreww wrote:
Does it matter if one is France->* and one is Italy->*?

No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric K
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
My wife and I just picked up a copy of Switzerland. I must admit that my initial impression of this expansion is not good. I drew (2) Germany to Italy cards as well as the (2) Italy to Germany cards! I reread the instructions twice, just knowing that I must have missed something but I apparently didn't. This expansion appears to be very poorly designed and feels as though it was never play tested. It strikes me as a designer taking advantage of the popularity of a very good game (TTR) and releasing a garbage expansion in the name of extra $$$.

I own a lot of games and this is by far the worst I have ever played. Very disappointing. If I am missing something please advise me accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
E K wrote:

I own a lot of games and this is by far the worst I have ever played. Very disappointing. If I am missing something please advise me accordingly.

Eric, wouldja take $15+shipping for your copy? I'll be happy to buy it from you if you don't want it.

PM me if interested, seriously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Al Johnson wrote:

Check out my variant on this:-

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/238941

Basically, it eliminates the instant scoring if you're lucky enough to draw duplicate tickets that you already have a connection built for & it also gives the players more decisions over what to keep.

Only played it twice with this, but it seems to work well!

Matt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aetesaki wrote:
Very Funny Eric K.!

It's been "tested" for a couple of years online.

Now that you have had your fun, Eric... What do you really think about Helvetia?

No matter how long it's been played and/or tested, scoring more than once for the exact same route is a very strange design decision made stranger by the fact that this possibility doesn't exist in any other TtR incarnation.
I, for one, don't like it one bit. (Even when it happens to me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aetesaki wrote:
weishaupt wrote:
Aetesaki wrote:
Very Funny Eric K.!

It's been "tested" for a couple of years online.

Now that you have had your fun, Eric... What do you really think about Helvetia?

No matter how long it's been played and/or tested, scoring more than once for the exact same route is a very strange design decision made stranger by the fact that this possibility doesn't exist in any other TtR incarnation.
I, for one, don't like it one bit. (Even when it happens to me.)

Well... Helvetia/Switzerland wasn't intended to be a paper boardgame, but an online boardgame, so they made it different from any other editions.
I concider it to be the best TtR edition.

Very strange justification.
But personal tastes are fine. And I'm happy you're pleased with the design.
I think the ticket mechanic is broken, though, and I'm shopping for a house rule. Nobody's going to convince me that it's "quite fun and mechanically logical" that you can score four times the exact same route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it kind of strange as well that they included so many country-country tickets and had no restrictions on duplication. In my experience it basically turns the game into a race to see who can connect the most countries and luck of the draw to see who can draw the most country-country tickets.

I'm toying with adding a house rule similar to others that have been discussed here. I'm thinking of only allowing a country-country connection once, on either direction of card. If you connect Germany to Austria and get a Germany ticket and an Austria ticket, you could only use that connection for one of the tickets. You'd have to connect to another country for the other ticket. Either that or at the very least don't allow the same exact ticket to be used twice for the same route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rossney
United States
San Francisco
California [CA]
flag msg tools
The multiple country-to-country tickets are there to punish you if you let your opponent connect to countries on either side of the board and you don't. If you're not connecting to other countries and/or blocking your opponent, you need to be pulling tickets so that you can cycle those cards out of the game. In fact it's worth the risk that you'll lose points on a ticket draw if your opponent has (or is going to get) Austria-France. It's pretty clear that this is the reason that you remove unused tickets from the game instead of reshuffling the deck.

This is definitely not obvious the first time or two you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Ornella
France
Dijon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I also do not like the double score for the same ticket rule.
I can imagine that the idea is to fight for avoiding the country to country connection. But it can happen that both players are able to connect most of the surrounding countries.
So than it is only a matter of luck!
Or, if you prefer, it is only a matter of drawing more cards than the opponent. And that means you pass a lot of turns to draw tickets!
Maybe a strategy should be to draw tickets not only to own them, but also to avoid the opponent use some of these (thanks to the definltly discard rule).
I only played once and had not a good feeling because of this continuos drawing of tickets that is simply no funny (I rather found funny to try to connect my targets, not to look if a drawn ticket already apply my routes).
I played 3 or 4 times online several years ago and found it very funny. So maybe I need to play it more to see what it was wrong with my first real board match.

Emanuele

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rossney
United States
San Francisco
California [CA]
flag msg tools
emaorny wrote:
Maybe a strategy should be to draw tickets not only to own them, but also to avoid the opponent use some of these (thanks to the definltly discard rule).

I don't think there's any maybe about it, at least in the two-player game. If my opponent's going to connect France to Austria, and my network isn't in chaos, getting rid of one of the four cards that he's going to score on is worth as many points to me as scoring it myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.