Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: favorite_information [+] [View All]
Cody Walker
United States
Bastrop
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright guys, I started a forum asking about casting silicone rubber.

It has become more of a brainstorming session on how to replace the rubber part of the shooter without having to mess with the rubber.

There are a few good ideas.

Go Here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really looks like the screen-printing squeegees from the other thread would ultimately be the cheapest and easiest to acquire and I'm pretty sure it would do the job.

Anything we end up doing is not going to be exactly like the original. That's the simple fact of the matter. I say, go with what seems like it will work and try it out. If it doesn't then try something else.

I'm really glad you guys resurrected this thread. I'm definitely wanting to get back on this project this summer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Cooper
United States
Fruitland Park
Florida
flag msg tools
Congratulations! You've found OverText.
badge
Well looky there, more OverText.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I say, go with what seems like it will work and try it out. If it doesn't then try something else.

I'm really glad you guys resurrected this thread. I'm definitely wanting to get back on this project this summer.

This is my thought too. Make it as close as I can with the info I have and see how it plays. Tweek from there.

I work at a camp and as soon as summer comes to an end and things slow down this is at the top of my to do list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Walker
United States
Bastrop
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I went with it and it worked.

I haven't painted the lines or made the ball holder yet but we are having an AWESOME time with it.

We have been just holding the ball and using a "White Pearl" eraser with the lines penciled on the board. The eraser, by the way, works GREAT!! It is a large eraser and is no problem to hold. I now doubt I will waste the time to make a shooter to hold the eraser.

I am planning on the making a yolk soon, but I am having a great time without it.

I'll have more pictures when I am finished with the table and yolk.

By the way, it cost me about $40 dollars to make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Zimmerman
United States
Maineville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Cody - the pics looks awesome - well done so far! I haven't been on this board for a while but have some free time coming up and was thinking about taking a shot at building a board as well. I really like the way your board looks - any chance you could send or post the steps/materials/dimensions/process you've used so far when you get a chance?

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those pics are awesome.

Couple questions...

Are you going to / did you drill out the base board any lower in the goals? If not why not?

And, why didn't you upload these to the game's gallery?

EDIT: Also, any plans on making a "ditch" on the back side of the shooting line to catch balls that fall off the edge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Walker
United States
Bastrop
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimmermd13 wrote:
Cody - the pics looks awesome - well done so far! I haven't been on this board for a while but have some free time coming up and was thinking about taking a shot at building a board as well. I really like the way your board looks - any chance you could send or post the steps/materials/dimensions/process you've used so far when you get a chance?

Cheers!

Thanks alot, I am really enjoying it.

Regrettably, I totally forgot to take pictures of the building process. I can however tell you exactly how I did it.

Shopping list:
**2 pieces of 2'x 4', 3/4" mdf board for the base, walls and Yolks. Pieces this size are about $10 at Home Depot. You could buy a whole sheet of the MDF for about $30 and have a lot left over, but I wanted to minimize the amount/length of cuts I had to make.

**2 1/8" hole cutting bit to drill the 2 center holes. That was about $7.

**1 piece 2'x4' masonite "hardy board" for the playing surface. About $5.

**1 6 pack of ping pong balls. $3

**3 pack of white pearl erasers. $3

That was all I really had to buy, considering I had left over screws from building a privacy fence.

I used the measurements listed earlier in this forum for my table. They call for a 42" length. So I started by cutting 6 inches off of both MDF boards and the masonite with a table saw.

I then cut 1/2" from the side of one of the Mdf boards. This large piece is the base of the table and goes under the masonite.

I then cut 2 pieces off the other MDF boards to serve as the side walls. These 2 boards measured 2 1/2" wide.

After that, I dry fitted the base and the side walls together and used a scrap piece of the masonite to mark where I needed to cut the grooves on the sides walls for the playing surface to slide into.

I lowered my table saw and made a few passes and made a groove for the masonite to fit in. The grooves are about a 1/4". You could use a router for this if you built a jig, but I don't own a router so the table saw had to do.

From there, I cut a scrap piece of MDF to 6 3/4 for the center wall. I measured for the center and drilled it into the base/masonite. And measured where to put the holes and drilled them too. A little tip; Don't drill the holes all the way thru at first. If you have a hole saw with a drill bit on it like I did, you can use the center hole that the bit makes to draw your lines around the hole. Then you can cut your holes all the way thru.

This project only took about an hour. Hands down, the hardest part was finding the center and measuring the exact spot to drill the holes, (I'm a baseball coach, not a math teacher).

I would also recommend using a nail gun to nail it together instead of screws because it began to split in some places as I srewed them in and I even drilled pilot holes. I think a nail gun would work better. Also, you might want to get an adhesive like "liquid nail" to help secure the masonite to the base board.

I hope this makes sense. Feel free to ask questions, I am trying to resurrect this game. After playing, I am on a mission to get as many people to try it as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Walker
United States
Bastrop
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
Those pics are awesome.

Couple questions...

Are you going to / did you drill out the base board any lower in the goals? If not why not?

And, why didn't you upload these to the game's gallery?

EDIT: Also, any plans on making a "ditch" on the back side of the shooting line to catch balls that fall off the edge?

I didn't want to drill all the way thru because at first I thought it would be hard to pick the ball out of a hole that went all the way thru. But after playing, you need to have a deep hole or the ball will sometime roll over the hole. After drilling the hole all the way thru, I realized that it is still very easy to get the ball out without having to lift up the table. It was also easy to draw the lines around the holes while the hole wasnt deep.

I didn't want to wait on the approval of the geekmods so I just put the pics in my gallery since the board isn't finished. I do plan on uploading them when I am finished with it.

I hadn't thought of making a ditch, but I can say after playing, I don't think one would work. The spin and velocity of the ball would bounce the ball around anyway. Not to mention, I think a ditch would get in the way of the shooter. Having said that, I am interested on how you might make a functional ditch if you have any ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Walker
United States
Bastrop
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the yoke so far.

I used a piece of a scrap MDF left over from the table. I used a 1 1/2 inch hole saw drill bit to drill a hole in the board. I then moved the drill up about a 1/2 inch or so and drilled another hole that overlapped the first hole. This gave me a board with an oval cut out of it. I then took the board and used a mitre saw to cut the top off of the oval. This gave me a U shaped groove that makes up the top of the yoke. I then measured about 3/4 of an inch and made a mark on both sides of the top of the "U". I turned the mitre saw to 15 degrees and cut on the mark of each side. This gave me an isoceles triangle with a U shape cut out of the shorter side. I just lopped off the tip of the triangle and sanded the heck out of the entire yoke. ESPECIALLY the part where the ball fits into. It took alot of sanding to get a good fit.

I hope this is clear enough. If not, ask questions and I can clarify.

I haven't drilled the hole in the bottom and inserted a dowel yet, but I think you get the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The production of Hoffman lenses is incumbent upon all true scientists
badge
The tallest mountains, the darkest forests, the deepest deserts, the oldest books, there you will find the stone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Painting was done by airbrushing on the design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Battle Beyond Space Status: Hit Distribution. In stores end of the week.
mbmbmbmbmb
As best as I know from talking with Aaron, the very first boards were actually PVC-based. He drifted into Masonite for the rest of the boards.

The other aspect that no one ever seems to talk about is waxing the ping-pong balls. Mine came with a block of wax to apply wax to the ping pong ball.

The rubber seems like just cut or flat molded chunks of Smooth-On rubber. Probably Mold Max 40. It has the same texture and feel of the Hirst Arts molds I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.