BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: "Battle for Dune": A Dune-themed remake of "Game of Thrones" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: DIY [+] Dune [+] Retheme [+] Customized [+] [View All]
mandark
msg tools
Spot the looney!
mbmbmbmbmb
The planet Arrakis, also known as "Dune" - land of sand, home of the spice "melange". The spice controls the empire and whoever controls Dune, controls the spice.

The spacing guild has proposed a challenge to the houses of the Landsraad: "The house that produces the most spice will control Dune. There are no set territories, and no rules of engagement."

Vast armies have arrived. Up to six houses fight for control of Dune: the noble Artreides, the insidious Ordos, the evil Harkonnen, the imperial Corrino, the technologic Vernius and the powerful Moritani.

Only one house will prevail.

The "Battle for Dune" begins....NOW!

laugh

------------------------------------------------------------------

"Battle for Dune" is a boardgame designed and constructed by myself. It is a 1:1 remake of the boardgame "Game of Thrones", including its two expansions "Clash of Kings" and "Storm of Swords". Except for the overall setting, (character-)names, terminology and imagery, everything is the same as in the original. The only things not "converted" are:

- all House-Cards except for the ones included in the "Storm of Swords"-expansion (since imho you dont't really need the others).
- the holding cells and claim-tokens from the "Storm of Swords"-expansion (as they are not really needed).

Here are some terms, that have been changed for the "Dune"-version of the "Game of thrones":

Miscellanous:
"Westeros" => "Dune"/"Arrakis" (obviously)
"Power" => "Spice"
"Sea" => "Open Desert"
"Supply-Barrels" => "Windtraps"
"Towns" => "Sietches"
"Power-Icons" => "Spice-Harvester"

The Houses:
"Bratheon" => "Corrino"
"Stark" => "Atreides"
"Lannister" => "Harkonnen"
"Greyjoy" => "Ordos"
"Tyrell" => "Vernius"
"Martell" => "Moritani"

Armies:
"Footman" => "Infantry"
"Knight" => "Tank"
"Siege Engine" => "Siege Tank"
"Ship" => "Carryall"

Commands:
"Raid" => "Sabotage"
"Consolidate Power" => "Harvest Spice"

etc...

For the design i used imagery and terminology from various Dune-sources (the Lynch-movie, TV-series, PC-games, collectible card game, books, encyclopedia) as well as the web (images.google.com, wikipedia, etc.).

Overall i designed 2 distinct gameboards (conversions of the AGOT- and the SOS-boards), as well as the gameboard-overlay for 6 players (as in "Clash of Kings"), 163 distinct card-motives and 69 distinct motives for the several game tokens.

Everything is designed with high resolution (300dpi). The 2 gameboards are 50x75cm big.

For the construction, all material was printed out via an online photo-print-service. The front- and back-views of the cards were just glued together. The gameboards and front- and back-views of the tokens were glued on cardboard an cutted out.

The various army-types were "carved" out of the army-tokens of an old "Risk"-boardgame.

Here are some pictures of the final game:

The full 6-player game-setup of "Battle for Dune"

The full 4-player game-setup of "Battle for Dune"

The game-cards of "Battle for Dune"

The game-tokens of "Battle for Dune"

The vast armies of "Battle for Dune" (carved out of the army-tokens of an old "Risk"-boardgame. You can see the 3 types of the original tokens at the bottom of the image.)

if anyone is interested in creating his/her own version, i have the following download-packages of the material available:

- english version
- german version
- french version (translated by BGG-user janosch)
- PSD-files of the game-material to create your own translated or modified versions

just send me a geekmail, and i'll reply with the download-links.
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome idea, if they want to re-release dune and un-theme it, we should respond by dune theming everything!!!

anyone for "Hey that's my spice"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Exit...pursued by a bear.
mb
Re: "Battle for Dune": A Dune-themed remake of "Game of Thro
I must say, that rocked my sox off. Very cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing! Now I want one. What will it take to get one of those? I've got enough GG for a micro badge...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mb
I would be far more willing to buy the new version of Dune if it were themed in Westeros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Spence
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic job.
Great idea.

One question: What happened to the Fremen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Exit...pursued by a bear.
mb
batmatt72 wrote:
Fantastic job.
Great idea.

Wouldn't they be the Others from beyond the Wall?(Wildlings attack)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Spence
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A ha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mandark
msg tools
Spot the looney!
mbmbmbmbmb
first of all: thanks to everyone for the nice feedback! laugh

batmatt72 wrote:

in the base game, the fremen are the equivalent of the wildlings. and in the "Storm of Swords"-version they are available as an ally.

Mease19 wrote:
Amazing! Now I want one. What will it take to get one of those?

i would gladly upload all the stuff here on BGG or somewhere else. but however i'm not so sure if this is a good idea, since i've been using a lot of copyrighted material. any advice on this (maybe from the BGG-moderators)?

another thing is, that everything is designed in german language ATM. but i could also make an english version, if it is wanted.

since everything is in high resolution (300dpi), the stuff is also very big (about 120MB in toto). question is: is there a way to upload such big files on BGG? or maybe rapidshare or something like that would also be a possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy smokes! Great job!! When is it going into production? I'll be more than happy to pre-order my copy today...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mb
Great work, man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Waschak
United States
North East
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mandark wrote:
i would gladly upload all the stuff here on BGG or somewhere else. but however i'm not so sure if this is a good idea, since i've been using a lot of copyrighted material. any advice on this (maybe from the BGG-moderators)?

another thing is, that everything is designed in german language ATM. but i could also make an english version, if it is wanted.

since everything is in high resolution (300dpi), the stuff is also very big (about 120MB in toto). question is: is there a way to upload such big files on BGG? or maybe rapidshare or something like that would also be a possibility.

My advice: if you are not making any profit from the images and just uploading the files, I see no problem with it. And yes, I would very much like an English version. This is a wonderful idea and I think it represents an evolution in what the original Dune game was. I own it and have played it several times and love the books and setting.

As far as file size, I would simply convert the cards, board and rules to Adobe .pdf files that would print out as one big file you could zip. .pdf files are great ways to economize on image size and are much easier to print out. That way you could split up the board into sections that would print on 8.5" x 11" paper, which is U.S. standard size, or maybe on A4 which I think is Euro standard size.

I look forward to seeing this in English in downloadable form!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Spence
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the nomination for English Language varient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yves jp
France
Moca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khul Wahad !!
Very nice game, I'm waiting for an english or german version.
goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Åman Pohjola
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very sexy! Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan H
France
Paris
Ile de France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bookgnome wrote:
mandark wrote:

My advice: if you are not making any profit from the images and just uploading the files, I see no problem with it. And yes, I would very much like an English version. This is a wonderful idea and I think it represents an evolution in what the original Dune game was. I own it and have played it several times and love the books and setting.

As far as file size, I would simply convert the cards, board and rules to Adobe .pdf files that would print out as one big file you could zip. .pdf files are great ways to economize on image size and are much easier to print out. That way you could split up the board into sections that would print on 8.5" x 11" paper, which is U.S. standard size, or maybe on A4 which I think is Euro standard size.

I look forward to seeing this in English in downloadable form!

I agree. You are not making any money with it and everything is available on line.
I would be very happy to make a french version. I would suggest that you upload the psd files or a text free version, with text in a separate word file.
Anyway, this is an excellent idea and the final results seems incredible. Great job !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Hats off to you, sir. thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bravo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mandark
msg tools
Spot the looney!
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks again to everyone for the nice feedback, and also thanks for your thoughts on the copyright-question!

i've decided to make the material downloadable over BGG or some other server. right now i'm working on PDF-versions of all the stuff in both german and english language. front- and back-views of cards and tokens will come on approximately 40 A4-sheets (8.5" x 11"). the 2 gameboards will be 50cm x 75cm (19.69" x 29.53").

as i said before, the whole package will be quite big (about 80-100 MB). does anybody know if i can upload such big files here on BGG?

Sabbat wrote:
I would be very happy to make a french version. I would suggest that you upload the psd files or a text free version, with text in a separate word file.

hi sabbat! the problem is, that the psd-files of all the cards, that would require translation, are in toto about 1 GB big. the gameboards also have a size of 500MB. which makes uploading a bit difficult. one possibility would be to send you the psd-files with only the text included. you could then translate the text, and send the files back to me. i could then make a french package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter T Davies
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mandark wrote:

i've decided to make the material downloadable over BGG or some other server. right now i'm working on PDF-versions of all the stuff in both german and english language. front- and back-views of cards and tokens will come on approximately 40 A4-sheets (8.5" x 11"). the 2 gameboards will be 50cm x 75cm (19.69" x 29.53").

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup That's tremendous news! Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yves jp
France
Moca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi, if you need some help for a french translation, I'll be happy to help you and sabbat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bachelor
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW!

Color me impressed. surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan H
France
Paris
Ile de France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
deludis wrote:
hi, if you need some help for a french translation, I'll be happy to help you and sabbat.

welcome on board !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loter
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is totally amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.