Besançon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
mb
All files are now available for download

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

I'm new around here, and I don't really know if I ough to post something like that here, and if I can't the admins will probably delete the whole thing and avoid me the embarassement.

I'm trying to redesign bohnanza in a way that would allow us to play it. I mean, who in their right ming would play this card game on a $25000 le corbusier table. Look at that saubohne! ugh, filthy.

the back of the cards :

La Isla Bohnitâ

Al Cabohne

what do you think?

KC

Check also my Puerto rico thread!
  • [+] Dice rolls
We'll be definitely interested to see your redesign, as the examples look like quite good. Through, I don't think most people around have any problems with original cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice designs, but the whole bean theme is now lost and the word 'bean' on the card is meaningless. I'd be interested to see what you did with Stink Bean.

Part of the fun of playing Bohnanza is the silly graphics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karim Chakroun
France
Besançon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
mb

just finished this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is interesting - I have the German version. Does the English version really have those translations (Stinkbean, Firebean and so on)?

Anyone know why they did not translate to the equivalent name - Saubohne to Broad Bean, Brechbohne to Green Bean, Blaubohne to Kidney Bean and so on. Was it purely to match the artwork?

Edit: Hmm, on checking it seems like some of the changes may reflect US English vs UK English, and Brechbohne is actually shown as Green Bean, Feuerbohne as Chili Bean so it is not as wild as I thought.

And thus, if you are going to change the artwork, why not change the bean names to the correct English (or in your case French) equivalent and base the artwork on the names in your own language?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We've always got German cards, here in CZ, but recently, they decided to translate it and I must say, it ruins the thing a lot for me.

There always was a special feeling behind this game for me and some of it came from the funny illustrations and quite funny German names. (Through some or maybe most of us in our group speak at least some German, but German words always had and still have some obscure feeling in Czech, when pronounced correctly.)

I know the game for quite a long period of time now and I'm glad to see new designs, versions and so on, as it brings something new for me to this great game, but if I'd start with Czech names and cards like those currently presented here, I'd maybe never be so much into it.

So yes, go for it, remake it anyway you like, but something special will miss there. For advanced fans of this, as I am, we'd be glad to see something new, but I don't think, it's good start for anyone.

Under such perspective, yes, it might be interesting to translate all names properly and get apropriate artwork, but one more element will drop from the original. Just do it as you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hulgan
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Bohnanza and I think the original cards are cute BUT I'm also a graphic artist and your design work is exceptional.

Are you doing the re-design as a school project or is it just a personal project?

Beautiful work!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it a lot, make sure to post them when completed thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karim Chakroun
France
Besançon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
mb
boltongeordie wrote:
And thus, if you are going to change the artwork, why not change the bean names to the correct English (or in your case French) equivalent and base the artwork on the names in your own language?

In fact the german names are puns and otherwise silly jokes : blaubohne is a slang for bullet, sau + bohne can be read "sow bean", etc... I changed some names when I didn't like them (e.g. chili beans to fire bean) without really thinking about it except that I had an image I wanted to draw. I nevertheless try to be as minimalist as I can in that regard.

As for the french names, the real ones are too horrible to contemplate (really abyssal puns around "haricot", you run away from the gaming table screaming) ; and since I wanted to show them here, I went for english. I may translate them in japanese, though. I already have some ideas.

here's another (quite stretched) one :
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karim Chakroun
France
Besançon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
mb
matthulgan wrote:
I love Bohnanza and I think the original cards are cute BUT I'm also a graphic artist and your design work is exceptional.

Are you doing the re-design as a school project or is it just a personal project?

Beautiful work!!!!

pepperhead wrote:
I like it a lot, make sure to post them when completed thumbsup

Thanks!!, It's something I've been doin for the fun, entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karim Chakroun
France
Besançon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
mb
sffh wrote:
We've always got German cards, here in CZ, but recently, they decided to translate it and I must say, it ruins the thing a lot for me.

There always was a special feeling behind this game for me and some of it came from the funny illustrations and quite funny German names. (Through some or maybe most of us in our group speak at least some German, but German words always had and still have some obscure feeling in Czech, when pronounced correctly.)

I know the game for quite a long period of time now and I'm glad to see new designs, versions and so on, as it brings something new for me to this great game, but if I'd start with Czech names and cards like those currently presented here, I'd maybe never be so much into it.

So yes, go for it, remake it anyway you like, but something special will miss there. For advanced fans of this, as I am, we'd be glad to see something new, but I don't think, it's good start for anyone.

Under such perspective, yes, it might be interesting to translate all names properly and get apropriate artwork, but one more element will drop from the original. Just do it as you like.

Aaah, yes. Traduttore, Tradittore as they say in Italian (Translator, Traitor). Translation is a difficult and unrewarding work. Some jokes you'll laugh your ass off in a language will only elicit 'huh?'s and blank stares when translated. It simply isn't possible.

This redesign, of course, is entirely personal and unless you break into my house to take that white box full of (too) thick cards, you'll never see it in the real world. It isn't my intention to compete with the original design (I would'nt call it "cute" though), just to try a different angle, and have fun, and if possible, give some too

KC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Skinner
United States
Seven Hills
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd totally like to learn how to make cards like that. What tools are you using? Is there a tutorial or reference site you'd recommend?

Also, you might want to consider putting something on the side of the cards so that you can tell what you've got in your hand when it's fanned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karim Chakroun
France
Besançon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
mb
adam.skinner wrote:
Also, you might want to consider putting something on the side of the cards so that you can tell what you've got in your hand when it's fanned.

I'm thinking along those lines too... I tried something, but I'm not satisfied.

As for learning, I've been in art school, and I peer at others' creations. Inkscape (www.inkscape.org) or others free vector drawing software, and a pen tablet, are a good starting point.

another one, based on "la isla bohnita"

edit: added pic and corrections
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sffh wrote:
We'll be definitely interested to see your redesign, as the examples look like quite good. Through, I don't think most people around have any problems with original cards.

I don't know about "most people," but I have to say I hate those frikkin' beans. They ruin this otherwise-good game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
South Korea
Gyeongsan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adam.skinner wrote:
I'd totally like to learn how to make cards like that. What tools are you using? Is there a tutorial or reference site you'd recommend?

Good advice, and I'd like to know about your method, too.

Your cards are GORGEOUS, Karim. We love Bohnanza, but yet another pasted-on semi-theme wouldn't hurt. "Orbs of Agony" or whatever you want to call it is something I'd definitely download, print, and play, just to enjoy the beautiful graphics.

Are you a graphic artist by trade?

Formidable! (en Francais, hein)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just curious, I'm more programmer than graphic, so I can do some fine things in graphic editor, but not many. I always get better results with pixel editors, like GIMP, that the vector ones, like Inkscape (I'm having both installed). What's the secret about using vector editors the right way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karim Chakroun
France
Besançon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
mb
tommynomad wrote:
I'd definitely download, print, and play, just to enjoy the beautiful graphics.

Merci!

I don't know how much downloading and printing lookout games or Uwe Rosenberg or Amigo Spiele would stand, frankly. It's something I'll have to clear with them before any uploading of a pdf.

Yes I'm graphic designer, I'm doing this to buy the geekbadge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karim Chakroun
France
Besançon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
mb
sffh wrote:
Just curious, I'm more programmer than graphic, so I can do some fine things in graphic editor, but not many. I always get better results with pixel editors, like GIMP, that the vector ones, like Inkscape (I'm having both installed). What's the secret about using vector editors the right way?

Wow. that's a bitch of a question.
I guess you have to get that bezier curve thing straight, don't be afraid to use coordinates and geometric tools (align/distribute/mirror). You can easily lose yourself in details, because you can always zoom up; the trick is to try to be economic with paths.

zombie

and time. lots of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carthaginian wrote:
tommynomad wrote:
I'd definitely download, print, and play, just to enjoy the beautiful graphics.

Merci!

I don't know how much downloading and printing lookout games or Uwe Rosenberg or Amigo Spiele would stand, frankly. It's something I'll have to clear with them before any uploading of a pdf.

Yes I'm graphic designer, I'm doing this to buy the geekbadge

As discussed several times, best solution is simply upload and let it be. Unless someone explicitely asks you not to upload or not to leave it online, it should be OK. It's your work after all, it's fanart, and I think, it's reasonable citation of original work in direct reply to it. Just look around how many fanart versions of different games are there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carthaginian wrote:
sffh wrote:

Wow. that's a bitch of a question.
I guess you have to get that bezier curve thing straight, don't be afraid to use coordinates and geometric tools (align/distribute/mirror). You can easily lose yourself in details, because you can always zoom up; the trick is to try to be economic with paths.

zombie

and time. lots of it.

Thanks for answer, I'll try some more having this on mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karim Chakroun
France
Besançon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hmm. brechbohne... I think I got this straight :

edited cuz I cound'nt get BBCode right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karim Chakroun
France
Besançon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
mb
red bean... should I brace myself?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carthaginian wrote:

For me, it somehow doesn't fit to the others, but still, it's your project. I also don't consider the pirate ship being part of the line. All others are quite abstract, which I really like about them. Those two seem too concrete for me, compared to the rest. This one even more, than the pirates for some reason.

But still, good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karim Chakroun
France
Besançon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
mb
sffh wrote:
carthaginian wrote:

For me, it somehow doesn't fit to the others

Yikes! :

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carthaginian wrote:
sffh wrote:
carthaginian wrote:

For me, it somehow doesn't fit to the others

Yikes! :

At least for me, better fitting than RedBean. Can't really explain why more than I did. But just go for the rest, maybe the whole feeling of the complete set will be little different, than it's now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.