Subject: User Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edwin Shaw
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game for the first time a couple of days ago, and we had a pretty good go at it. As it was our first game it took us a while to learn the rules (btw, I recommend getting the rewritten version from here on BGG).
The game plays fast, but with a lot of tactical depth (e.g. should I move this unit here; it would give me more firepower but break up this formation). Combat is mainly a dice-fest but with interesting choices to be made, particularly in the defender's use of terrain, which must be chosen in his own movement phase.
The game seems to reflect the battle itself well, with the Germans eventually (after a few days hard fighting) managing to break through the American line using the "blitz" movement rule; if a mech unit rolls a six in combat it may immediately move two grid squares through the enemy position.
On first play, therefore, the game seems to be well balanced, strategic, and fun, but with some luck involved in the die rolling and card-draw mechanisms. It was good, and I hope to play again very soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you explain which terrain cards you put on the 'map' at the start of the game say using the south deck please? (even though your original post was back in '04!) Many-anyone-thanks! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Choong
United Kingdom
Chatham
Kent
flag msg tools
Hope you haven't got tired waiting! You place the terrain cards with their A-F location letter circled in red. The rest are shuffled into your draw pile and must be played the turn you draw them. hope that is of use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...it is now 2014...srry to take soo long to get back...Yes many thanks. I haven't played since I last posted here due to real life interupts etc, other games...but now I'm back into this game & I will play!

Standby for more questions.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.