Talisman» Forums » General

Subject: difference between 1st and 2nd version? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fredrik Nilsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have a couple of talisman games and now I plan on selling some of them. I like the fold-out-board for 1st version a lot better than the puzzle-board for the 2nd... but off course the colour cards for the 2nd is better than the black and white for the 1st =). So I thought about switching boards between my two sets and sell the one I don't want... I guess there's changes between 1st and 2nd version... otherwise there wouldn't be a new version... so can somebody, who are really into the differences between the versions, tell me if there's a major change on the board from 1st to 2nd?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
My understanding is that there is no difference between the two editions except for the physical ones you mention. I've owned both and certainly never noticed a difference (although I have not PLAYED both).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frankysan
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you have both, can't you just look at the boards and see for yourself if there's any differences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
I've owned and played both editions. As far as I know, they are the same except for cosmetic changes.

I kept the board from the first to go with my second edition too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think there were any differences; all the expansion sets were equally compatible with both 1st and 2nd editions.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freni126 wrote:
I guess there's changes between 1st and 2nd version... otherwise there wouldn't be a new version...

I guess the first version sold out, and when they decided to reprint it they thought: "What the hell, why not make it in color this time?"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio D'alelio
Italy
Jesi(An)
Ancona (Marche)
flag msg tools

Hi there! I have bought last summer a Talisman 2ed. with Talisman Expansion that are quite different from usual list of components! Talisman 2ed. core game is with fold out map and not 4 puzzle parts and also Talisman Expansion is without Talisman citadel figures flyer but with Warlock magazine flyer, other componets are the same! I have also asked to the UK seller about different map and he told me that he had bought that game 10 or 15 years ago with that mapboard! Anyone can help me?

Best Wishes&Regards!

Antonio!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Nilsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
I had forgot I even made this thread.. =)

Thanks for the replies! I took a quick look on the boards and when I couldn't find any differances between the two I switched. I haven't yet played with the new combination, but I am not that hardcore Talisman player anyway so I still shouldn't notice the changes I guess.. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio D'alelio
Italy
Jesi(An)
Ancona (Marche)
flag msg tools

Hi folks! Some News about 1ed. and 2ed. mapboards! I have contacted from a famous onlike marketplace an Australian Seller with an interesting auction about Talisman 2ed. core game and picture of the game was clearly showing an old 1ed. mapboard! After a short corrispondence I could know that in Australia he could remember only Talisman 2ed. copies with old foldable 1ed. mapboard! So not only early Talisman 2ed. copies were with old 1ed. map but also there were differences in English editions by country? Please, let me know if anyone can confirme my consideration!
Greetings from Italy! Antonio!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP -

A couple of differences between 1st and 2nd Edition are the wording of the Wand & the Command Spell....

To Antonio -

Yes, the Australian version was printed by a company called Ventura International and featured a folding board rather than a jig-board. The box was also slightly different.

If you check out http://www.talismanisland.com/worldtour.htm you can see examples from the different printings of the game.

There are some other "interesting" differences between the various editions. I may make a comparison page one day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio D'alelio
Italy
Jesi(An)
Ancona (Marche)
flag msg tools

Ciao Jon!
Just a Curiosity! I have visited your amazing website about Talisman and I have seen numerous pictures about different editions all around the world but do you have phisically all that Talisman editions? How could you find all your copies or pictures? I really would like to buy an Hebrew Talisman and also Swedish Talisman! French and German edition are common online but the other ones arent available to my knowledge! Finally, have you ever seen the protype of Talisman ambiented in a boy'school?
Thanks a lot for you nice Reply and Congratulations for your Website!
Cheers Antonio!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Antonio

Yes, I do have copies of all of the editions featured on my site. Here is a picture from a little while ago that features most of them and a few other related items -

In order to get them all it has taken a lot of years and more money than I like to think about! There are still a couple of items that I am searching for...

Unfortunately, I have not seen a copy of Rectocracy, but I have seen pictures of the fantasy version of it called Necromancer's Isle.

I wish you luck in your quest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio D'alelio
Italy
Jesi(An)
Ancona (Marche)
flag msg tools

Ciao! What a wonderful collection! Just a curiosity can you post your pictures of Necromancy's Isle? I didn't know that after Rectocracy GW Team had realesed also another prototype! I have read on Robert Harris website about Rectocracy but Necromancy wasn't mentioned! Finally, how have you started your Talisman addiction? I was only a D&D player and I wasn't so interested in Talisman because it looked like a game of goose! In fact playing such an easy game can be enjoyble with novice players and Gary Chalk was a mervellous artist! Now, I collect fantasy stuff from 70' and 80' and I am buying also Talisman copies all around the world! Do you know something about Gary's career? A lot of early GW graphic artists are a little unknow these days!
Saluti Antonio!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.