Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've now played this game thrice, in the past couple of weeks. Each time using the "dagger" variant for scoring the cathederal builds. The game is a joy to play. But it still doesn't stop the fact that when the last build agenda turns up, everyone essentially goes "all in" with their resource cards, and that the winner of the bidding seems to be in the best position to win (all three of my games). So how about this for keeping the bidding on the last build agenda more like the rest of the game?
Bid just like in the other rounds around the table. When a noble drops out of the bidding he picks up his last bid as usual. The winner of the bidding gets to build the last piece, again as usual. After that, all players including the builder, add up their leftover resource cards which are worth points, the value of which depends upon what the last agenda was. Each resource is worth 1/2 of the card's value at the time (rounded down). A 4 point resource would be worth 2 VP. 3 and 2 point resources would be worth 1 VP. A 1 point resource is worth nothing.

As an example let's say that "War" was the final agenda. After dropping out of the bidding I still have 1 shield, 2 cups, 1 hammer, and 2 grain left in my hand. This would give me 2 (shield)+ 2 (cups) + 1 (hammer) + 0 (grain), equalling 5 more VP.

It seems that this would encourage the players to start the bidding low, and progress until they reach a breaking point, at which point they would gather back their last bid, leaving them with cards that are worth something.

Have I overlooked something here?

The other thought I had was to merely make ALL cathederal builds worth 2 points. This makes the build agendas only slightly more valuable than the priviledge agendas. This could cause a runaway leader problem, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Intesting ideas , I will look through them, I don't know if you saw my suggestion to rework the game, bu ti think it works alright. I will let you know what i think after testing yours

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about it more. The game doesn't end in the Spring when the last piece is built. The game continues through the summer, and the fall. After the last cathederal piece is built, players will still have the chance to wage war, bribe armies, and build farms (Summer phase). In the Fall, ALL players collect their final income (resource cards), to be used in one last phase as VP in the manner listed in my first post. You could call this phase "To Arms!" or "The King's Mobilization" or something else...anyway it represents the King calling in all of the available resources of his domain, to enable him to go to war (or to balance the books, stop unrest, or stave off famine...it all depends on what the final agenda is). The noble who can contibute the most, will get the most bonus points, to add to his final score.
Yes there will be some luck involved...but no less than the luck that all players have been dealing with for the entire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. I've figured it out, and have submitted a file with the complete rules. But to capsulize:
1. The game does not imediately end when the last cathederal piece is built, but continues through both the summer and fall phases.
2. After income is received at the end of the fall phase, the King calls for a final mobilization to solve the final agenda, once and for all.
3. Whatever resources are left in a players hand may be worth 1, or 1/2, or zero points, depending upon what the current agenda is. Totals are rounded down. These points are added to your current score.

This variant maintains the importance of the last cathederal piece, but it is now no longer the "game-breaker" that it is in the current game.

I made a new post here hoping that this thread doesn't get burried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.