Subject: I don't understand how to start rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't understand how to start the game.

It looks like I, as the Germans, start on the left beach, and that I then MUST turn over a Force card and that I simply do this down the line in quick succession.

It then looks like my opponent does the exact same thing so that we now have Force cards in front of each beach.

Now what?

I have my five cards from the deck. Can I pick any five or just the top, randomly?

I then go from left to right again and say something like, "I attack Omaha beach" and lay down a card from one of my five. The allies then counter with their card and we keep doing that until someone loses, gives up, etc. The loser's Force Card is take from the game.

Then, if I have any cards left, I can attack again. Say I'm out of cards. Now the allies get to attack, presuming they have a card. If no one attacks, then draw six cards like the Turn card says, do again.

Is this right? Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyLikesGames wrote:
I can't understand how to start the game.

Ok, no problem.
Let's see if we can help...

johnnyLikesGames wrote:
It looks like I, as the Germans, start on the left beach, and that I then MUST turn over a Force card and that I simply do this down the line in quick succession.

That's more-or-less right yes, but it's worth paying attention to any 'special' ability Force Cards that you might have 'activated' (turned over).
For example, as the German player on Turn 1 you will be activating the Force Card from the inactive pile for Utah Beach first.
There are 3 German Force Cards in the Utah inactive pile at the start of the game. 2 have no special abilities, namely, 91st Infantry and 709th Infantry whereas the third is the 243rd Infantry (card #076).
Take a look at this Force Card and you will note from the text below the Combat Value that this force may declare an Attack without paying an Action.
That means if you turn this Force Card over during the German first turn you can then declare an Attack against the Allied Player on this beach. Resulting in the top Allied inactive Force Card being discarded (because there are no active Allied Force Cards yet in play on Utah Beach).

You may also want to consider the Action Cards you have in hand (should be 5 for the start of Turn 1) Some of these are playeable before you start your turn eg. Local Command, so there is a chance you could be playing these before you start activating a force at each beach.

johnnyLikesGames wrote:
It then looks like my opponent does the exact same thing so that we now have Force cards in front of each beach.

Yes he does but again, he must pay particular attention to any 'special' ability Force Cards that he might turn over as he completes his actions one beach at a time.
He (the Allied Player) always starts at Sword Beach where he will have 3 inactive Force Cards at the start of his Turn 1.
One is the 3rd Infantry and 2 are I Corps. One of the I Corps cards (#008) has the ability to be able to declare an Attack without paying an Action. So if this is the first card activated, he could (his choice) launch an Attack at the German defenders on Sword Beach, then using any of his 5 Action Cards (in hand) to support/influence this Attack.

Likewise there are other 'special' ability Force Cards for some of the other beaches (for both players) so always be mindful of these when you turn the Force Cards over.

johnnyLikesGames wrote:
Now what?

I have my five cards from the deck. Can I pick any five or just the top, randomly?

No.
You each draw 5 cards from your own (draw) deck (see the Tabletop Layout diagram printed on the reverse side of the rules) and place those cards 'in hand' before you start your turn.

johnnyLikesGames wrote:
I then go from left to right again and say something like, "I attack Omaha beach" and lay down a card from one of my five. The allies then counter with their card and we keep doing that until someone loses, gives up, etc. The loser's Force Card is take from the game.

You will/may have been using your 5 Action Cards as you conducted the actions at each beach.
As the German Player on Turn 1 you will only be able to conduct an Attack if you activate one of your 'special' ability Force Cards and even then the Allied Player will not be able to defend against your Attack because he won't have any active Force Cards at any of the beaches during your first Turn.

johnnyLikesGames wrote:
Then, if I have any cards left, I can attack again. Say I'm out of cards. Now the allies get to attack, presuming they have a card. If no one attacks, then draw six cards like the Turn card says, do again.

You cannot Attack again at the same beach on the same Turn unless you have 'special' ability cards that allow more than one Action per beach. But remember that you must complete ALL action at each beach before moving on to the next. You cannot go back to an earlier beach and try to conduct further actions later in your Turn.

You will often finish your Turn with Action Cards still in your hand either because you didn't have the opportunity to play them as you conducted the action at each beach or, because you want to 'save' the card(s) for play during a later Turn.

Once each player has completed all of their actions each may discard any number of cards still in hand and then draw cards as specified on that turn's Turn Card. So, for example, if the Allied Player completes his actions at the end of his first turn with 2 Action Cards still in hand, he could either discard 0 and draw 4 new cards, discard 1 and draw 5, or discard both and draw 6 new cards, as per the Turn#1 card... Both draw to 6 at the end of the Turn.
Likewise the German Player can elect to keep Action Cards still in hand or discard as many as he likes, and then draw new up to the limit specified.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.