Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Weaving Geek
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking at purchasing Turn the Tide, but I'm not a fan of trick-taking games, and I see this has some aspects of that. I've played Euchre, David and Goliath, and Loot, none of which I thought was fun.

On the other hand, I enjoy For Sale. Is there enough elements of For Sale to downplay the trick-taking part?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Zgwortz is gluten-free!
badge
Living rent-free in your head!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not really a trick-taking game. It's a bidding game. It plays very similar to the second phase of For Sale, so if you like For Sale, you should like Turn the Tide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weaving Geek
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The second phase of For Sale is my favorite part; I love the simultaneous blind bidding.

Thanks!

Second question:

Is it different enough from For Sale to warrant buying it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Zgwortz is gluten-free!
badge
Living rent-free in your head!
mbmbmbmbmb
historysteph wrote:
Second question:

Well . . . the unique thing about Turn the Tide is that the cards are all dealt out once. At the end of each round, you take the hand you just played and pass that whole set of cards to the player on your left (likewise, receiving from the player on your right the hand of cards that they just played.)

Now you play a round again with this new hand. There are as many rounds as there are players, so everyone will get a shot at the same hand of cards eventually. The goal is to do better with a particular hand of cards than everyone else did.

But the blind bidding is very similar to For Sale. I have both. I think they're different enough to justify having both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this isn't trick-taking. Much more akin to For Sale.

I'd say the big difference in how Turn the Tide works is the second place bid. Two cards go up on the auction block. First place takes the best. Second place takes the other one. You often don't want that second one so you have to decide whether or not to bid well for the first one... and risk coming in second, or trying to bid really low to avoid the whole thing. The bid cards range from 1 to 60 so that's why the highest cards AND the lowest cards are the most desired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
historysteph wrote:

They are both by Stefan Dorra, and they do have a similar feel. Still, I'm glad to have both. With 3P, I would tend to choose Turn the Tide. With 5P (or 6P), I prefer For Sale. With 4P, both are good.

Because everyone plays each hand in Turn the Tide, 5P takes too long for what it is. For Sale is great in that the short playtime holds for any number of players. It is also incredibly easy to teach and learn. Turn the Tide is still pretty simple, but just a bit deeper, and the starting hand of twelve cards can be a bit intimidating to new players. If I had to pick one, I'd go with For Sale, but for the price, getting both was a fine choice for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
mb
Just adding my two cents but I definitely think both are worth owning. They aren't all that similar at all. Turn the Tide has the unique "pass the hands" mechanism which makes for some great balanced gameplay. The better players usually do well but there is just enough player chaos (depending on which cards each player is trying to get/avoid) that the game isn't just a no-luck game. I really like how the designer has taken a card game and removed a lot of the "too much luck" element while still retaining the fun and quick play inherent in a card game.

For Sale is likely the best light filler ever made so it's definitely worth owning and should be in almost all gaming collections.

Good quality, light fillers that still have enough strategic/tactical depth so that they can be replayed fairly regularly are pretty rare and having several good ones like these in a collection certainly isn't overkill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both games and I agree they are not that similar. The blind bidding is similar, but its not really the central mechanic. Very different games- both good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
It's not really a trick-taking game. It's a bidding game. It plays very similar to the second phase of For Sale, so if you like For Sale, you should like Turn the Tide.

Yep.

But it also has the interesting mechanic of rotating the hands at the end of each round. In other words, after scoring the first round, players pass their hands to the left, and play the next round.

This is repeated until the number of rounds played equals the number of players. Eventually, every player gets to play once with each of the hands.

I think Turn the Tide is a great card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a trick taking game. When I first saw it, my first question was "Is this like For Sale?" I didn't even know it was another Stefan Dorra game when I asked that. It has some of the same mechanics, but it's a different take. In For Sale, a high card is always good and a low card is always bad, and you are just trying to get the most out of those cards. In Turn the Tide, you usually want to lose the auction, but sometimes you want to win. It's better to be first than second, but sometimes second is okay. Before you bid you need to gauge whether other people want to win that auction.

I am usually good at these games, but I scored -1 in my first attempt. A little heavier than For Sale. Both are good small fast games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.