flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
it's a pretty obnoxious thing.

When the stall comes, if players promptly promptly pass on buying, the stall goes by pretty quick.

OTOH, if a player talks about how he could build cities, and spends five minutes explaining the the game is broken because he shouldn't build, that is obnoxious and boring. Don't do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Guy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Barticus88 wrote:
OTOH, if a player talks about how he could build cities, and spends five minutes explaining the the game is broken because he shouldn't build, that is obnoxious and boring.

Hey, I know that guy....and several of his brothers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TerrapinStation wrote:
Barticus88 wrote:
OTOH, if a player talks about how he could build cities, and spends five minutes explaining the the game is broken because he shouldn't build, that is obnoxious and boring.

Hey, I know that guy....and several of his brothers!

This is an old thread but hey, so do I! I just played a game with a player who made several mistakes and then concluded that the game was broken. This is a short summary of what happened:

* Due to how the cards were shuffled, the market got blocked by less attractive power plants (range 10-20 when the players already had range 20-30).
* One player expanded rapidly, earning him cash but also giving him a disadvantageous turn order.
* The other players realized that an oil and coal crisis was emergent and started hoarding resources.
* The first player refused to hoard resources and was eventually unable to power his cities.
* The first player also refused to buy other power plants to get out of his oil and coal dependency, partly since the ones available were less powerful than the ones he already had and partly because he didn't want to make more attractive power plants available to the other players.

The first player then claimed that the game was broken and refused to take any more actions. Eventually the rest of us passed the stall and concluded the game one experience richer.

The argument of the first player was that a Euro shouldn't punish the leader and force him to take one step back to be able to move forward again. Since I'm a newbie myself, I hadn't realized how punishing Power Grid can be if your strategy is a dead end, otherwise I should've warned him if I had seen this coming. Now I'm afraid it'll be very difficult to get Power Grid back to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Cameron
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Really interesting thread. I've only played a few games of PG but not seen the mid-game stall.

Thinking about it, the issue appears to be that no-one buys power plants or expands their network once they hit 6 cities.

Two mechanism seem to be at play. Firstly, the player who connects to 7 cities will be disadvantaged in the upcoming round and secondly players are waiting for the end game power plants.

Having read all the responses, I think two mild adjustments could help. Firstly a cash bonus ("Government incentive for network investment"?) for reaching 7 cities first (Governments want corporate investment in infrastructure right). Nothing too decisive but maybe 10 electros (rather than the previously mentioned 8 - it's easier to remember and you can just give a single note!)

Secondly if no-one buys a plant for two turns remove two plants then three then a maximum of four per turn. I can't imagine getting past 2/3 plants often enough before something attractive arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.