8 Posts

Victory & Honor» Forums » General

Subject: Rules question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider this situation: left flank is red, center is black and right flank is still undecided. It is my turn, all my positions are open and I have a black card and three green cards in my hand.

1. Do I have to play the black card in the center before playing any other cards?
2. Can I play a green card in the center?
3. Can I play a green card in the left flank?

Another thing: in the end of a phase, you have two alternatives on how to play. One of them ends up in all positions being filled, other one leaves two positions open on two different players. Can you play the one that makes the phase end short? It's illegal to play when the next guy can't play if you have an alternative, but what if the next guy has a legal move but the guy after him doesn't have?

It's a good game, but the rulebook is a total mess...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Wilde
United Kingdom
Blackpool
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Re:Rules question
As I see the rules the following would apply:

1. Do I have to play the black card in the center before playing any other cards?
No, you could either play black in the centre or lead the right flank with a green.

In the rules it states: a player may never play a card as a sacrifice, unless he is forced to do so and has no other options.

No, as centre is black and you have a black card in your hand.

No because you still have the option of leading the right flank with a with a green card.

Another thing: in the end of a phase, you have two alternatives on how to play. One of them ends up in all positions being filled, other one leaves two positions open on two different players. Can you play the one that makes the phase end short? It's illegal to play when the next guy can't play if you have an alternative, but what if the next guy has a legal move but the guy after him doesn't have?

The phase does end but all players starting clockwise from the player who cannot not play a legal card fills their empty positions.

It's a good game, but the rulebook is a total mess...
...and I will certainly agree with that! Some obvious contradictions and the rules as a whole should have been made much clearer. They should have been checked by 'occasional gamers' and not the Geeks!

... good questions - it made me think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cheeseontoast (#70516),

But if you have no red card and therefore can never play one on the left flank, why can't you choose to play a green on the right or a sacrified green to the left flank?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
cheeseontoast wrote:
In the rules it states: a player may never play a card as a sacrifice, unless he is forced to do so and has no other options.

Actually, what the rulebook states is
Quote:

A player must sacrifice a card in a battle board position when he cannot follow suite by playing a card from that same suite as the lead card for that position.

As far as I can tell, there are only three places where playing to battle board spaces is constrained:
1. As the result of someone playing a scout,
2. As a result of being disallowed to sacrifice the lead,
3. As a result of having to play away from someone with a full battle board, or
4. As a result of it being the last open space on your battle board.

So other than the four situations listed, you're free to choose the battlefield position you want to fill. Or, at least that's how I read it.

So if left is red, center is black, and right is undecided, and I hold a black and three green, and all three of my battle board spaces are empty, I would rule that I couldn't play green in the center, because I have black with which to follow suit, but I could play green as a sacrifice to the left flank, hoping that someone would declare right flank as yellow, making my green trump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So if left is red, center is black, and right is undecided, and I hold a black and three green, and all three of my battle board spaces are empty, I would rule that I couldn't play green in the center, because I have black with which to follow suit, but I could play green as a sacrifice to the left flank, hoping that someone would declare right flank as yellow, making my green trump.

Could I sacrifice black to the right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielguy wrote:
Quote:

Could I sacrifice black to the right?

No, because you're not allowed to sacrifice the lead unless you have absolutely no other options. "Sacrifice the lead" means play a sacrifice to a trick as the first card of that trick, and since right is undecided, your card would be the lead card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
msaari wrote:
Consider this situation: left flank is red, center is black and right flank is still undecided. It is my turn, all my positions are open and I have a black card and three green cards in my hand.

My understanding is that you HAVE to play the green card to the right flank. If there's an open flank, you have to fill it, if you can.

I could be wrong, but that's how we interpreted the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fried
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
msaari wrote:

My understanding is that you HAVE to play the green card to the right flank. If there's an open flank, you have to fill it, if you can.

I could be wrong, but that's how we interpreted the rules.

Other than the exceptions specified (i.e. scout, can't play to someone with 3 closed positions), I don't see anything in the rules that would require someone to play into an open position where the lead has not yet been established rather than following or sacrificing in a position where the lead has already been set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.