Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed this just popped up as in stock at my favorite online retailer, but at $59.95. I also noticed that this is exactly the same price the game lists for at several other sites.

So, is this game worth $60 to you, and why?

And second, do you think there is some retail price fixing going on?

I'm interested in this game, but disappointed by the price...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take It to the Limit is distributed by FRED (like Brass, Through the Ages, Rails of Europe, Neuroshima Hex), whose prices are set at MSRP. Different online sellers have tried to offer different forms of discounts (free/discounted shipping, etc.) for their games.

If you like Take It Easy, but want a bigger challenge, I think Take It to the Limit is worth it. It's a pretty bulky/heavy box, with two different ways to play inside. But if you don't like the idea of a longer (45 min - 1 hour), more punishing version of Take It Easy, give it a pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have to charge that much because the materials are so expensive. Wait...it's just CARDBOARD. Nevermind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jonathan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
13 months ago I placed a group www.playme.de order and there were 3 copies of this game in the order....

Including the prorated portion of the shipping it came out to $42 per copy. Of course the we were getting the paypal exchange rate of $1.35/euro. That's probably around $1.50/euro now (11% more), and I wouldn't be surprised if the shipping fees are higher now too.

However interestnig note.... then it was EUR 25.82 (free of the 16% VAT their website displays since we don't have to pay that)... looking at their site now only EUR 17.19 (EUR 19.94 they display on their site divided by 1.16). Even at $1.50/euro, that's only $26 (before shipping). Order as much as will fit in an order (there's a max weight limit) and it should still come out far less than $60/copy, and you could sell the rest in the marketplace (42 users have it marked wanted, and no one has it for trade)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also a funny little story... I sometimes play at the meetup game night at a local Borders bookstore. While playing I noticed in the rack of the store owned community games (usually just chess/checkers/etc) a copy of Take it to the Limit!

Turns out it belonged to a friend of mine, who got in from that same playme.de order I mentioned. He thought his copy had been stolen while all along it was sitting there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
looking at their site now only EUR 17.19 (EUR 19.94 they display on their site divided by 1.16).

Correction, it would be even lower than that! Seems the VAT must have gone up to 19% (up from 16%) in Germany within the last 13 months? Because when I actually login to playme.de, because I have my profile setup that shipping will be to outside the EU, it displays only EUR 16.76. So even at $1.50/euro that's only $25.

And for yuks, the shipping on my last order was 85 Euro for 32 kg (max weight). If that hasn't gone up, that's $127.50. Funagain lists the weight of TittL as under 2 kg so you could possibly fit 14 copies in an order... so under $10/copy for shipping.

Don't you hate a weak dollar though! And it's likely to only get worse with the Federal Reserve lowering interest rates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Altmann
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Seems the VAT must have gone up to 19% (up from 16%) in Germany within the last 13 months?

That's correct. 19% VAT since January 1st, 2007.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aubigny wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
Seems the VAT must have gone up to 19% (up from 16%) in Germany within the last 13 months?
That's correct. 19% VAT since January 1st, 2007.

Ouch!

Also for what it's worth, I just logged into paypal and the current exchange rate is:

PayPal's Exchange Rate as of Jan. 29, 2008:
1 U.S. Dollar = 0.659926 Euros

That's now about $1.516/euro

ps: I'm also an Opera user

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Opera ftw! Been using it for a long time now.

Hey with playme.de, how do you calculate shipping?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swaits wrote:
Hey with playme.de, how do you calculate shipping?

They (usually "Kay") have to compute it by actually packing it and weighing it.

If I recall it's 26 Euro for the 1st 2 kg, and then 2 more Euro for every additional kg, with a max weight of 32 kg for the package (that actually comes up to 86 euro which is what my last order's shipping was).

Remember however that was 13 months ago... USPS rates went up, so it's possible the Germany to US rates also went up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Rekich
United States
Lyndora
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take it to the Limit was definitely worth it for me, but I guess it depends on how you look at it.

If I spend 10 dollars on a game I do not like, to me that game was too expensive. However, if I spend 60 dollars on a game I love, not only was it worth it, I actually feel like it was a bargain!

I like Take it Easy, but *love* Take it to the Limit. Since I will be playing TittL countless times over the upcoming years, I am very happy to have a copy, even for 60 bucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, as you say Jeff, Dr. Kay responded to me. 30 kg to the US with DHL is 82 EUR. That makes the total, for ten copies of TttL 249.60 EURO (assuming we don't pay any sort of tax, etc.?), or about $370. It really is tempting to try to get a group buy going.

--Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Rekich
United States
Lyndora
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funagain does not have any in stock now, but expects to get some this month. They will be selling it for $35.99, which is a good bit deal better than $60.00
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.