Free Parking» Forums » Reviews

Subject: User Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
flag msg tools
This is a game I enjoyed when I was younger, so when I found it recently in a thrift store, I picked it up without hestitation. Even still, I hoped that I would enjoy it as an adult.

The game is very simple to play and to learn. It is basically a card game with a parking meter used to measure the time you can use for running errands. By running errands you receive points. The first person to 200 points wins. However, there's also second chance cards which basically add more randomness into the game.

During a player's turn that player may:

1. Draw up to 6 cards
2. Play one card if possible.
3. Draw a second chance card if they want (this is optional.) This card is then played immediately.

1. Exchange up to 3 cards from their hand to draw the same amount of cards discarded.
2. Draw a second chance card and play it (optional.)

This game is definately not a brain burner, but it does have a little strategy. This is because of the meter. There are basically 2 cards that can be played to help get you points, the fill the meter, which gives you so many minutes on your meter and the run errands card, which require so many minutes on your meter.

However, if your meter is at 0, you are in violation, and another player may play a Officer Jones card on you, to make you lose an errand card (point card) of your choice. There's two ways to prevent Officer Jones from hurting you, the Talk Your Way Out of It card, which prevents any card or second chance from hurting you, or the Free Parking card which prevents Officer Jones from hurting you and allows you on your next turn to play any point card for free. The last special card makes any person's meter go down to zero, which makes a good combo for the Officer Jones, since they can be played at any time.

Playing the game again has shown that I still enjoy it, if only as a short filler game. It's chaotic and random enough that I don't care that I win or lose, but just enjoy the game for what it is. The monopoly theme doesn't hurt or help it, and the art is pretty non-descript, but does match the monopoly art.

I think it's also a good game for children and probably could be a first game for 6 or older. I also think it's worth a play every so often, to let your mind relax and just enjoy the company of your friends or game group. But, for those who enjoy nothing but strategy, they won't enjoy it at all and would probably be a waste of time for them.

My final thought is this:if it's as cheap as mine was ($1.50) then it's worth every cent.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.