Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Sherman
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have recorded a video introduction and review of Pandemic. You can see it streaming from this link:
http://www.podshow.com/shows/?mode=detail&episode_id=99812

or you can download a much higher quality version here:
http://m.podshow.com/media/15871/episodes/99812/obsessedboar...

General Topics
Introduction
Explanation of how to play
Thoughts on the game
Summary & Conclusion

I hope you all enjoy.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Aguayo
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job and great review. I've been interested in this one. Must've forgotten that it was a coop game. It's gonna be perfect for my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow, nice stuff !
Very instructive about the game
Now I want to get it as soon as possible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Tyler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Great rundown of how the game is played, as well as some interesting criticisms. I definitely agree with the assessment that the game's enemy aspect is random and that luck can play a major roll, but even the best luck in the world can run out or be worthless if you don't mobilize correctly (however, if you have a huge infection rate in blue at the beginning of the game, it can be kind of helpful.) I don't agree on the role being unbalanced however; in the few times I've played, there have been reasons why I wished we had the roles that were missing every time. The Medic is great from keeping outbreaks from happening, but he also needs the dispatcher and the operations expert to help his movement chances; he's not terribly useful by himself if there are major clusters of possible outbreaks if he's on the opposite side of the map when the epidemic occurs and he can't hop across the globe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Robledo
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Click my Extended Stats user Microbadge!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love all the video reviews from obsessed board gamers. The rundown of the game was great and well organized. His review of the components and impressions pretty much matched my earlier review.

I however have to agree with Kobayashi about the roles and the medic.

1. The Medic in our experience is FAR from the best character in the game. I think the researcher-scientist combo is far more powerful to have on the board than a Medic. In fact, 2-player Scientist + Researcher we win almost every time. I will agree, however, that Operations Expert seem to be the least appreciated role. We have been toying with the idea to add "No cubes may be added to a city with a Research Station" to his role powers to give him a little bit more "oomph".

2. Like Kobayashi said above, I think the roles are more balanced than you gave them credit in the review. Every time we play 4 player, someone makes the comment that they wished the role we are missing was in the game. I have had fun with every single role, and never felt I was not contributing to the player's success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, for the life of me I can't get this file to play... I've tried FF, IE, Opera... Tried downloading and playing through iTunes and WMP... nothing. The streaming link just hangs there forever with the Quicktime picture, as if it's loading, but nothing ever comes up. Am I supposed to register and log in or something??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sherman
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Eric,

That's strange. I haven't heard any other problems. Anyone else having problems?

If you have Itunes, the easiest thing for you to do is go to the Itunes Store and type in "Obsessed Board Gamers." You'll find my show, it's free. Itunes can then download and play any of the episodes I have done.

I hope this helps. The problem could be that the files are a bit large at the moment. I'm working on getting them smaller, they should be before the next episode.

-Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sherman
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh and thanks for the feedback everyone.

We have played quite a bit but, I wonder if after another 10 games or so, if I'll see the characters being more balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't know what the problem could be... I download and stream and otherwise play large music/video files all the time. I just recently watched the Bookshelf Games Perikles video and Scott Nicholson's Die Macher video. Those are huge files.

I just tried the iTunes thing... found the podcast, selected to "Get" that episode. It started to download, then at about 30MB it just stopped and vanished from the download screen. And then back in the Podcast lists it says: There was a problem adding "Episode 7: Pandemic to iTunes". The file might be corrupted or a file type that iTunes cannot play.

???

I'm downloading the update for iTunes... maybe that will help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sherman
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow.... sorry for the trouble Eric.

Is anyone else having similar problems?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Keyes
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I could not get it to play, either, but I clicked the download link on the player page and am trying to download it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Spode
United States
Mount Airy
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When in doubt download it to your PC and try using the VLC player. It is a free striped down video player that has many codecs built into it. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I downbloaded it, and it played fine in MPC. I have the mp4 codec.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Keyes
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Yep, downloaded, viewed, and two thumbs up! Great review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob McMurray
United States
LaGrange
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't get it to play either. I can play all of the other 6 video reviews listed but I can't get Pandemic's to load and run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sherman
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Matt,

I guess that's metaphorical thumbs eh? Not BGG thumbs? lol

-Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
perfect timing since mine is on the UPS truck and should be here tomorrow! thanks for the review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't get the review to play either - or to download. I tried multiple times and waited quite awhile for the data transfer and no go. cry

I'll try again later.

EDIT: Finally able to download the video and really enjoyed the review! Ordered Pandemic from ThoughtHammer right after viewing your review. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PimpMC wrote:
I have recorded a video introduction and review of Pandemic. You can see it streaming from this link:
http://www.podshow.com/shows/?mode=detail&episode_id=99812

or you can download a much higher quality version here:
http://m.podshow.com/media/15871/episodes/99812/obsessedboar...

General Topics
Introduction
Explanation of how to play
Thoughts on the game
Summary & Conclusion

I hope you all enjoy.

Great review, Colin, and another great podcast! After seeing this, I immediately ordered the game from Time Well Spent. Really looking forward to playing!

Thanks,
jrbentley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmb
Awesome format. I love the music and pacing and the overlay graphics... brilliant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Baldwin
United Kingdom
Benhall
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job. Enjoyed the format as well. Had a lot of trouble to try and watch it. In the end I downloaded it and even then I had to download software (Videolan, thanks for the link Lawrence) was the only way I could find to play it.

Looking forward to your next one,

AB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonis Matakos
Greece
Σέρρες
Serres
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't view the streaming version either. Apparently it's not really streaming but (my guess the application tries to download the whole 147 MBs before starting playing. I'm downloading the high quality version as I type (147MB) but I honestly prefered it as it was before, one-two clicks and I could watch it right away. I'm not sure if I can bother downloading such big files for every review. One thing I noticed is different is that now quicktime starts for this view review (oh how I hate the QT player...) while in all the previous reviews it was (and still is) the usual flash player. Maybe that has to do with the problematic streaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sherman
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey all,

I just want to make sure that everyone knows that we hear you on your difficulties of getting the files working.

We are aggressively looking and changing where our media is hosted. We want to have a streaming object embedded in our site where you can watch it, as well as an easy to download version.

For now though, you can get us from the Itunes store for free and they will download to your Itunes without you even realizing and be ready for you to watch whenever you please. That's how I watch stuff like this.

Thanks for all the kind words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
KobayashiJT wrote:
The Medic is great from keeping outbreaks from happening, but he also needs the dispatcher and the operations expert to help his movement chances; he's not terribly useful by himself if there are major clusters of possible outbreaks if he's on the opposite side of the map when the epidemic occurs and he can't hop across the globe.

This is very true, but it can be alleviated with proper planning.

Whenever our group is missing the Dispatcher, we make one of our first priorities to set up reseach stations. It's amazing how much smaller the board gets when you have 2 or 3 early research stations evenly dispersed around the board. You can pretty much get anywhere in one turn, thanks to the Shuttle Flight move option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sherman
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It seems like that regardless of what characters you have you need to use their abilities as often as you can. Even if you have the research station builder, build tons, if you have the medic great, if you have the dispatcher move other people so they can do their abilities more, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.