United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ThunderFall wrote:
mbuckingham wrote:
I tried to run it on my Mac (because its Java, so it should work in theory) but I got the following error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no swt-win32-3346 or swt-win32 in swt.library.path, java.library.path or the jar file
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.C.(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.(Unknown Source)
at gameModel.ImageHandler.(ImageHandler.java:12)
at gameModel.ImageHandler.getInstance(ImageHandler.java:49)
at view.Options.(Options.java:28)
at testCenter.TestMain.main(TestMain.java:32)

This problem puzzles me much more. (correct english??) I thought the swt.jar file I included in my program would be enough to support all different platforms, but it seems to work for windows only. There are other swt.jar-files on the SWT-homepage for linux or mac, but I don´t have the time to figure out a way to make one version for all platforms now.

For some quick testing, I created a Kingsburg_mac.jar-file and put it up on my homepage. http://mitglied.lycos.de/thunderfall/

It would be very nice if a mac user could try this out and post here if it works or if a (maybe different) error occurs. I have no Mac available for testing. All I know is this file doesn´t work on windows. Thanks in advance!

I tried the your Mac version on a Mac running Tiger (10.4) and got:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:268)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:319)

Thanks for doing this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Chiarvesio
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add my heartly thanks to Thomas for the wonderful job he is doing.

First time we met, there is a signed copy waiting for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Arnold
Germany
Griesheim
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

beehive23 wrote:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:268)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:319)

Thanks for doing this!

Hmmm... according to a webpage I found, this error normally appears if the version of the Java Runtime Environment on the running system is older then the version the program was compiled with. My compiler says it uses version 6.0, that means my JDK is version 1.6.0_something. Maybe you can check your JRE - could this be the problem? (I hope so... )

tanis wrote:
Just to add my heartly thanks to Thomas for the wonderful job he is doing.

First time we met, there is a signed copy waiting for you

Weeeeeeee!!! When do we meet? I have spare time this saturday!
For real: Are you at the "SPIEL" in Essen this year? I wanted to visit it to grab your kingsburg expansion anyway! (I hope it is finished then!)

By the way: When the expansion is finished and I get the OK from the publisher, I will gladly try to implement it into Java-Kingsburg. I have to admit that I redesigned some parts of my source code at the very moment Luca gave us this small preview of the expansion, so some parts of it could be included more easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Brooks
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ThunderFall wrote:
Hi there,

beehive23 wrote:

...blah blah java stuff blah blah...

Hmmm... according to a webpage I found, this error normally appears if the version of the Java Runtime Environment on the running system is older then the version the program was compiled with. My compiler says it uses version 6.0, that means my JDK is version 1.6.0_something. Maybe you can check your JRE - could this be the problem? (I hope so... )

JRE 6.0 isn't available for OS X yet, Apple only has a developer preview version of it. Apple is generally way behind the other platforms in getting Java updated since they apparently can't just use what comes from Sun directly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Arnold
Germany
Griesheim
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Brad,

beehive23 wrote:

JRE 6.0 isn't available for OS X yet, Apple only has a developer preview version of it. Apple is generally way behind the other platforms in getting Java updated since they apparently can't just use what comes from Sun directly.

Aaaaah... maybe this really IS the problem. Okay, I have another try: I changed my compiler to version 5.0. That´s the lowest version that supports the classes I used. I didn´t change my JDK, so hopefully the compiler does it right... I re-created the kingsburg_mac.jar and uploaded it on my website. Can you try it out, please?

Maybe we get through to the next error code, then. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very fun thank you so much for creating this! What better way to spend a half hour than honing Kingsburg skills?

One thing I noticed is there seems to be a bug that when there is a tie for the King's aid at the beginning of the year no one gets anything (except the first year), when in fact all players involved in the tie should receive a good of their choice. Other than that it was a great ego boost to beat the AI 48-31 or something similar. Good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome effort! Here's bag for ya.

Won my 5 player test game rather easily though (farm tactics), but I was probably just incredibly lucky, yes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Arnold
Germany
Griesheim
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
Very fun thank you so much for creating this! What better way to spend a half hour than honing Kingsburg skills?

One thing I noticed is there seems to be a bug that when there is a tie for the King's aid at the beginning of the year no one gets anything (except the first year), when in fact all players involved in the tie should receive a good of their choice. Other than that it was a great ego boost to beat the AI 48-31 or something similar. Good job!

Hi, and thanks for the nice words!

I tried to recreate your bug now, but every tied player got his good correctly. When there is no human player involved, you don´t get any message, though, but the A.I. players take their good silently. I can include a message window, of course.

But I will keep an eye on this... if it happens again or somebody else notices this bug, I dive into the source code

Henkka wrote:
Awesome effort! Here's bag for ya.

Won my 5 player test game rather easily though (farm tactics), but I was probably just incredibly lucky, yes?

Thanks a lot! As I wrote on my website, the A.I. is not very strong. I sometimes lose against it, but they are still full of unintelligent decisions. They follow a very small set of rules, are in no way flexible, don´t react on the other players (to block the other players), etc.

I will try and improve it more and more if I can. If anyone has suggestions or has has observed obviously stupid decisions, feel free to post them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Brooks
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ThunderFall wrote:
Hey Brad,

beehive23 wrote:

Aaaaah... maybe this really IS the problem. Okay, I have another try: I changed my compiler to version 5.0. That´s the lowest version that supports the classes I used. I didn´t change my JDK, so hopefully the compiler does it right... I re-created the kingsburg_mac.jar and uploaded it on my website. Can you try it out, please?

Maybe we get through to the next error code, then. laugh

Okay, now it launches and the first screen comes up but the console starts filling up with the message:

Exception in thread "AWT-AppKit"

and the app is unresponsive and eventually crashes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Chiarvesio
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have found a little bug: in the game you can go to negative Victory Points (for instance you choose advisor # 14 in Year 1 spring), but the java version let you play on the 14 without having you going to -1 VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Arnold
Germany
Griesheim
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tanis wrote:
I think I have found a little bug: in the game you can go to negative Victory Points (for instance you choose advisor # 14 in Year 1 spring), but the java version let you play on the 14 without having you going to -1 VP.

Can you check it again, please? I just tried it, and it counted correctly. I influenced the 14-advisor in spring. The player-token moves from "0" to "59" to represent the negative Victory Point. Then I gained a VP in Phase 3 and was back at zero again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThunderFall wrote:
tanis wrote:

Can you check it again, please? I just tried it, and it counted correctly. I influenced the 14-advisor in spring. The player-token moves from "0" to "59" to represent the negative Victory Point. Then I gained a VP in Phase 3 and was back at zero again.

Actually, I think I had this bug too in my test game, I think I should have gone negative, when I lost the winter battle first year (against zombies, I think). But I didn't mention about it, as I wasn't quite sure if I should have.. blush

Edit: Still not sure about it as I wasn't paying it that close attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Arnold
Germany
Griesheim
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beehive23 wrote:

Okay, now it launches and the first screen comes up but the console starts filling up with the message:

Exception in thread "AWT-AppKit"

and the app is unresponsive and eventually crashes.

Next problem... but I think I got that solved, too. I foolishly used AWT-classes to get the screen-resolution of the user. There is a much simpler solution for this... I changed it.

New version uploaded, new test please, new error code...

Will this ever end?

I can see light at the end of the tunnel...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Arnold
Germany
Griesheim
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Henkka wrote:
Actually, I think I had this bug too in my test game, I think I should have gone negative, when I lost the winter battle first year (against zombies, I think). But I didn't mention about it, as I wasn't quite sure if I should have.. blush

Edit: Still not sure about it as I wasn't paying it that close attention.

I tested this, too. I did not build a single building and lost against the zombies in year one. (Took me a few tries to roll low enough )

My player token landed on the "58", that means I have a score of -2. This would be correct...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Brooks
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ThunderFall wrote:
New version uploaded, new test please, new error code...

Will this ever end?

I can see light at the end of the tunnel...

I e-mail'd you the java error log that it spit out this time - quite long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nicely done. I played my first game against the AI. My only feedback about the interface is:

- There are times when I am being asked to choose something where I can't view the building chart. It would be nice to pop it up from any selection dialog.

- It would be nice if players were sorted by turn order on the fly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Arnold
Germany
Griesheim
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Very nicely done. I played my first game against the AI. My only feedback about the interface is:

- There are times when I am being asked to choose something where I can't view the building chart. It would be nice to pop it up from any selection dialog.

- It would be nice if players were sorted by turn order on the fly.

Hi there, and thanks for the comment!

Can you please check in which decision-windows you miss the option to see the building-sheet? I tried to place a button in every window where you select a ressource or something like that...
In the main game window (when no other window is open) you can click on the small building sheets that are displayed in the player-areas on the right to view the buildings.

To sort the player areas by turn order automatically is a bit difficult... I write it on the TODO-list and take a look when I have some time.

Thanks for the suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThunderFall wrote:
Can you please check in which decision-windows you miss the option to see the building-sheet? I tried to place a button in every window where you select a ressource or something like that...
In the main game window (when no other window is open) you can click on the small building sheets that are displayed in the player-areas on the right to view the buildings.

I'll do that when I play next. I did figure out to click on the small building chart. It would be even better if all of the popup stuff (except the building chart) was just embedded in the main window. I assume Java supports the notion of "modeless child windows" like Windows does.

ThunderFall wrote:
To sort the player areas by turn order automatically is a bit difficult... I write it on the TODO-list and take a look when I have some time.

I assume some people would prefer they stay in the same positions all the time. An option?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Australia
Live in Perth, Australia
Born and bred in Britain
flag msg tools
...into Microbadge ;-)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow :-)
Very nice.

When the person loses to the end-of-year monster, the word "und" appears instead of "and" on the English version. Only seems to happen if you lose though.

And at the end, the "Cathedral" is called the "Keythedral" or something (when calculating bonus VPs on goods owned). I'm guessing that's another bit of German slipping in.

I'd personally prefer the players to stay in the same order all the time. I have markers to show their play order and I'd get confused if they kept moving around.

Another nice option might be for it to slow down the movements of the AI players so you can see what they do. Maybe so I can press SPACE for each one, and see what happens. At the momemt, it's all a bit sudden.

Finally, when you get the building page up, it's very tempting to click on the close icon to get rid of it. If you do that, it doesn't just get rid of the building page, but also the whole game. So perhaps disabling the close icon on the buildings page, or allowing us to close that window via the close icon without losing the whole game, would be good.

Otherwise was good and far better than my JAVA programming skills! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Arnold
Germany
Griesheim
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
psymann wrote:
Wow :-)
Very nice.

When the person loses to the end-of-year monster, the word "und" appears instead of "and" on the English version. Only seems to happen if you lose though.

And at the end, the "Cathedral" is called the "Keythedral" or something (when calculating bonus VPs on goods owned). I'm guessing that's another bit of German slipping in.

I'd personally prefer the players to stay in the same order all the time. I have markers to show their play order and I'd get confused if they kept moving around.

Another nice option might be for it to slow down the movements of the AI players so you can see what they do. Maybe so I can press SPACE for each one, and see what happens. At the momemt, it's all a bit sudden.

Finally, when you get the building page up, it's very tempting to click on the close icon to get rid of it. If you do that, it doesn't just get rid of the building page, but also the whole game. So perhaps disabling the close icon on the buildings page, or allowing us to close that window via the close icon without losing the whole game, would be good.

Otherwise was good and far better than my JAVA programming skills! :-)

Thank you very much!

I found the "und" and the "Kathedral", and changed them into better english

These will be fixed in the next update.

If I include the rearrangement of the players, it will always be optional. But if have to take a look at this... I may do the same thing with you idea of the slower movement of the computer enemies. In an early phase, I had an information window every time a playerturn started. It got on my nerves very quick, so I skipped them entirely.

Maybe I can reactivate them on option.

And the last thing: I can deactivate the close icon on the building page, but there´s also an extra question if you want to exit the game. I thought that would be enough.

By the way: I just discovered that this question was also still in german, even in the english version. Fixed.

Thanks for your comment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas, hope you don't mind, I added your game to this geeklist, which was created just for this sort of thing!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/8323/page/8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dany Simard
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great game, thanks for the program!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Arnold
Germany
Griesheim
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rastak wrote:
Thomas, hope you don't mind, I added your game to this geeklist, which was created just for this sort of thing!

I discovered it a few minutes ago! laugh I like this list a lot, and have already found a lot of good pc-conversions on it.

The four stars for A.I.-strength that you gave me may be discussable... but thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThunderFall wrote:
Rastak wrote:

I discovered it a few minutes ago! laugh I like this list a lot, and have already found a lot of good pc-conversions on it.

The four stars for A.I.-strength that you gave me may be discussable... but thanks a lot!

Well, I will admit it might be that I'm a 1 star player.....laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Australia
Live in Perth, Australia
Born and bred in Britain
flag msg tools
...into Microbadge ;-)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the slow-movement of AI players, you're right, a pop-up window each time would be annoying. Best I can think of is for me just to press spacebar each time for their next moves. I don't want to fiddle with the mouse, but would be nice to control the speed of the bots' play - especially for players who haven't played much before.

Thanks for putting that warning message in English now - though it's so natural to click on warning messages without thinking as so many of them cry wolf... but I've only actually clicked Yes on it once so far.

Another possible bug - I think that there's some case where my armies don't add up. May just be that it's me that can't add up, but there have been a couple of times when I've ended up with one less army than I thought - I think they were both when a 1 or 2 were rolled by the King, and I had a Guard Tower. My initial wonder is whether the Guard Tower works... but I'll have to keep an eye on it and count more carefully to see if I'm right or just making that up ;-)

Edit: Nah, Guard Tower worked that time... I guess I just can't count. :-S
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.