Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that this expansion is kind of like 3 in one. There's high bohn (that uses buildings) cognac (which uses cognac beans. Is this used along with the high bohn expanision?) and High Bohn plus, where orders are introduced. My question is...are all three expansions meant to be played together, or do you only pick one of the three each time?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's really just two expansions in one. The Cognac Beans go with the High Bohn half of the expansion. However, you can play High Bohn with or without the Cognac Beans.

You could add the Cognac Beans to the base game if you really wanted to, but you'd need to tweak the deck for number of players. There are 22 Cognac Beans and 22 Wax Beans (in the Rio Grande version), but Cognacs have a beanometer of [5 7 9 10] and Waxes are [4 7 9 11].

The Order Cards are really quite distinct from the High Bohn expansion. Although you probably could play High Bohn with the Order Cards, that would be a bit much for my tastes. Normally you play with either the Order Cards or High Bohn. The Cognac Beans may be included or not in either case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Goetz
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer first - I've only played High Bohn with someone else's copy, so what I'm saying isn't necessarily from the rules. But the "buildings" portion requires cognac beans -- and the cognac beans replace the wax beans, which are nearly identical (but not exactly). So you can't play High Bohn without the cognac (or with the wax, unless you want it to be only for thalers). We haven't played the "Plus" part because, as I say, it's someone else's copy, and he doesn't particularly like that version, so I can't speak to that. I imagine it also requires the cognac, though.

Edit: I got beaten to it, it seems, and by a better response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Heh, thanks.

Actually, the Cognac Beans (and their associated High Bohn buildings) are considered optional, according to the High Bohn rules. However, that is the expansion that they are specifically intended to go with.

The Order Cards do not require the Cognac Beans, but they may just as easily be used with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help you two!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonso Zamora
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For High Bohn (RIO GRANDE) the players use all the bean types, except cocoa, coffee, and wax.
From this expansion, use the building cards that match the bean types found in the basic game (Garden , Red, Black-eyed, soy, Green, Stink, Chili, Blue ===8 buildings).

Leave the Cognac bean cards and the four distillery building cards in the box. They are used in the COGNAC VARIANT. Introduce cognac if you want the COGNAC VARIANT.(Garden , Red, Black-eyed, soy, Green, Stink, Chili, Blue+Cognac ===9 Buildings).

remember 3-5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.