Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim K
Australia
Colonel Light Gardens
SA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just completed my fifth board game video review. This one is pretty short as the game is relatively simple. Hope you enjoy it.

It's shown below or go to http://youtube.com/watch?v=cY-SibRvHDo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review, although I am seemingly much more of a fan of the game and rate it a 10. I have played it a lot over the last few years, and it has yet to grow old. Everyone I introduce it to also enjoy it, and it's the kind of game you never play just once.

You didn't mention that your pieces may not move around the Hive until your Queen has been played. This is an easy rule to overlook - I know, 'cause I did so myself.

Also, apart from the Grasshopper, which jumps, and the Beetle, which climbs, pieces can only be moved to a place in the Hive where they actually fit into position without bumping the other pieces.

Please keep the reviews coming Tim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nicely done! Short and sweet. Represents the game well.

Other rules worth mentionng for folks who do not know this game and who may be trying to imagine how it plays:

-When the beetle climbs onto another piece, that piece is "pinned" and cannot be moved until the beetle gets off. Beetles can stack onto each other in a vertical hierarchy (the top one is the only one that can move).

-When you introduce a new piece, no portion of it may touch opposing pieces. If a piece has been pinned by a beetle, the colour of that space is determined by the pinning beetle, not by the piece (or pieces) that has (or have) been pinned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good points Neil. I just played a few games of Hive tonight, and I love the game more each time I play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nice review. I too am a quite a bit more enthused about this game than you, mainly because of the unique niches it fills. My wife wouldn't touch a game of Chess with a ten foot pole, but she'll eagerly request a quick game of Hive over after-dinner coffee (and we usually end up playing two or three games). Also, it's very well suited for playing in just about any setting, and very durable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
Australia
Colonel Light Gardens
SA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatchling wrote:

Other rules worth mentioning...

Thanks for adding in the extra rules (both of you).

I could have talked about every single movement rule (or perhaps alluded to the fact that there were some extra more minor movement rules that I hadn't covered) but I decided to just keep it all nice a short to give a new player a bit of a feel about how to play it without bogging them down telling them about every single rule (that's what the rules are for after all!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.