10 Posts

Vexation» Forums » Rules

Subject: A Route rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume there is more to this than just going around 1 colored track, as the rules state that the colored track effects a whole route. So, what exactly is considered a route?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can trace a connected path of black (and your own colored) track pieces between your starting marker and a city, then you have a route to that city. Yes, you need only build around a colored piece belonging to another player to connect to everything beyond that colored piece. That statement in the rules appears to be one of those "helpful" explanatory thingers that just confuses things, and may be due to the translation into English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrecker wrote:
I assume there is more to this than just going around 1 colored track...

Doesn't seem like much until one of the other players blocks you near the end of the game! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mark_biggar wrote:
If you can trace a connected path of black (and your own colored) track pieces between your starting marker and a city, then you have a route to that city. Yes, you need only build around a colored piece belonging to another player to connect to everything beyond that colored piece. That statement in the rules appears to be one of those "helpful" explanatory thingers that just confuses things, and may be due to the translation into English.

So if there is a route with a colored track in it, ONLY the owner of that colored track can use the route? Or is just that ONE PIECE of track that can't be used by others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrecker wrote:
mark_biggar wrote:

So if there is a route with a colored track in it, ONLY the owner of that colored track can use the route? Or is just that ONE PIECE of track that can't be used by others?

Yes, only that player. As far as other players are concerned that colored track piece doesn't exist and the far side is not connected to their starting marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just that one piece of track.

So if the only way for you to connect to a city is through a piece of track that is another player's color, then you can't trace that route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steveoliverc wrote:

So if the only way for you to connect to a city is through a piece of track that is another player's color, then you can't trace that route.

This one seemingly simple little rule sure has me & my group confused! Sorry, but I still don't get it, so here's an example. I build from St Louis to Dallas. I put 1 of my colored tracks in this route. So...can someone else use this route?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrecker wrote:
steveoliverc wrote:

This one seemingly simple little rule sure has me & my group confused! Sorry, but I still don't get it, so here's an example. I build from St Louis to Dallas. I put 1 of my colored tracks in this route. So...can someone else use this route?

Yes, the two black sections of the track simply need to be connected with black track, then everyone can use them, even if there is a colored track in the middle. The only part of the route that is unusable is the colored part. A player cannot claim an entire track with a colored piece, just one small part of that route. Look at this image:

Despite the use of both a red and a yellow track, the black tracks have been reconnected, so anyone connected to the black track has access to each point on the track. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think of it in terms of routes, just in terms of connections. Your goal is to connect all five of your cities to your starting marker. A city is connected to your starting marker, if you can trace a connected sequence (you can call it a route if you want) of track pieces between them consisting of only black pieces and pieces of your own color. As far as you're concerned, the track pieces of the other players colors do not exist except that they prevent you from placing a track piece in the same place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Melinsky
United States
Fairview Park
Ohio
flag msg tools
Bobcat Power MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading through through the instructions and examples around, I was actually more confused than when I started. However, I think this example clears it all up. Note the distinction between track (one wooden piece) and route (one connection, many tracks).

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/587323

Above (pictured) is a route built from Denver to Bismarck. There is a red track in this route. Anyone other than red building into Denver does NOT get Bismarck automatically. Anyone other than red building into Bismarck does NOT get Denver automatically.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/587322

Above (pictured) is a red track bypass that now has a full access route between Denver and Bismarck for everyone. Anyone building into Denver gets Bismarck automatically. Anyone building into Bismarck gets Denver automatically. It is NOT necessary to build a completely different route, simply bypassing the colored track is enough. This is an example of bypassing a track - it's definitely not the only or best way to do it. This is where strategy plays a major role in this expansion - determining the best location and time for bypass track placement.

Also, it's best that each player gets three tracks every round and not once per game. A round beginning when a set of cards are dealt out to each player and ending when a person(s) has connected all of their cards/cities. Another nice variant is that each person gets TWO colored tracks at the start of the first round, and at the beginning of every other round gets ONE more (maximum of three). I like the three per round rule.

Here are the English rules with more accurate phrasing.

------------------------

Vexation
by Manfred Keller
Expansion for TransEuropa and TransAmerica
Players: 6

Idea

A large, shared network of railroad tracks develops across the continent. But it can be annoying sometimes if other players blatantly exploit their own routes. So, from time to time one needs to put a stop to that.

Material

18 colored tracks (3 in each of the 6 colors).

Game setup

The game is setup as usual. Every player additionally gets the three tracks of their color.

Changes in game play

Instead of placing a black track which are shared by all players, a player can choose to use their own colored track which are usable only by them. Up to three tracks per player may placed in each round. These tracks are placed according to the normal rules.

If another player wants to use parts of the network only accessible through a track (or tracks) of a different color, they have to build a bypass around the colored track (or tracks).

At any intersection on the board (a city location for example), a maximum of two colored tracks (either two different colors or two of the same color) are allowed. Black tracks do not count as a colored track.

A colored track my not be replaced with a black track NOR may a colored track have a black track placed next to it on the same board space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.