Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
castiglione
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
It always struck me that Balloon Buster was particularly well suited for solitaire play due to its subject matter; after all, who would want to actually PLAY as the anti-aircraft gunner when they could be the fellow in the trim little biplane darting in at the tethered balloon?

While rummaging through my old collection of wargame and FRP magazines, I happened upon a nice little find - Issue 35 of The Grenadier. It seems as though back in February 1990, a certain Eric F. Lawson came to the same conclusion as I did and published a solitaire variant of Balloon Buster called "Drachen Slayer" in addition to a very nice little review of the game as well.

Well, I just had to give his variant a try.

I took up a Nieuport 17 up against a German Drachen defended by four Archie batteries (no flaming onions). Being a rather direct fellow, I charged into close range where I was battered unmercifully by Archie. I had numerous opportunities to open fire but each time, I was tossed to and fro by exploding anti-aircraft shells, preventing me to get off a shot. In the meantime, my engine was damaged enough such that I was prevented from going any faster than "cruise" speed with it and I developed a fuel leak which looked as though it might cause me problems.

I immediately darted out to medium range and started a headlong charge towards the balloon. This time, the Archie batteries could not seem to get their range and while I charged in, I had three opportunities to fire as none of the Archie shells exploded close enough to spoil my aim. Three bursts and the Drachen exploded into flames. I flew through the raging fireball without harm to myself and fled the scene as quickly as I could while Archie attempted to avenge the balloon's demise.

Archie bursts trailed my little Nieuport as I made good my escape and I suffered no further damage.

Result - nicely cooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tinney
United States
Hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About 7 years late here, but I'd really be interested in this set of variant rules if you could point us in their direction via web-link. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Woods
United States
Otter River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I too would like a copy of the solitaire rules. I couldn't find anything on the web. If you have the magazine that they came from, could you post a scan of these rules? I picked up a copy of balloon buster off of ebay, but I'd have to agree, I'd rather play it solitaire. If I'm playing with someone else, I'd rather play my copy of handy rotary.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The solitaire variant rules are available in The Grenadier magazine issue 35. It appears fairly regularly on eBay for between $5 and $25.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.