Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
frontlinegeneral wrote:
For those who are subscribed to this post- if you're interested in an up-to-date series of discussions on various topics related to publishing, please check out the blog I've started here on BGG called Publisher Perspective. The plan is go well beyond this OP and draw from my own experience in the industry to give a bit of insight into publishing.

Here's a link to the blog if you're interested, and as always, feedback is welcome - (please comment on the individual post).

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/497

Best--

Nice, I was watching the rss of your old blogspot blog, glad to see it'll continue somewhere
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
London Flats
msg tools
I just wanted to post and say thank you for this comprehensive information! It answered a few of my questions and made me realize there were some things I didn't even consider.

Much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Penrose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Great post, really full of common sense and clearly from someone who has been there already!

Bravo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't read anything on BGG about how contests might help a designer find a publisher or if using PnP to test or build a fanbase might hurt your chances with a publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam Houston wrote:
I haven't read anything on BGG about how contests might help a designer find a publisher or if using PnP to test or build a fanbase might hurt your chances with a publisher.

Well, Zombie in my Pocket and D-Day Dice started out as print-and-play. The fact that they already had a fan base actually helped get them published--the publishers already knew that the games were popular. If publishers love anything, it's a sure bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to go to my profile
badge
Games should be fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great resource! As someone who started a game publishing company in the 90's I had to learn allot of this the hard way. I wasted 2 months on the second edition of our first game that sold well just working with artists. I had paid 100 down, the balance on delivery of the final designs. The draft looked great, then they disappeared. Since our contract stipulated I would receive ownership upon final payment to protect them. I then could not have someone else just finish the work and had to start all over.

Now that we have eLance and many print on demand options, this is a great time to start that game company. While we had the paradigm shift in the market place with the introduction of Euro games, I believe the next shift is self published games and small publishers. This is where the new ideas are going to come from next INHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Mayer
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I've only quickly skimmed this right now, but wow, man! An incredible post. Very very helpful. Thank you for putting this together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herman Husband
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
designer
I sure it has been covered (I have not gone through all of this post and responses yet), but copyright protection for games doesnt go very far in protecting rights. I think it would be good for artwork and rules -- but the name needs to be Trademarked in the US through the US trademark office. One can get a trademark through common law (by being the first to produce the game with a certain name) but that only gives a person the right to continue using/selling one's game in the geographical area one is already established. That is my understanding anyway. I have no clue about copyright laws outside of the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil J. Opitz
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for compiling this list Byron! It's very helpful and covers a lot of areas that don't always come to mind, such as sales tax and barcodes. Much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Hand
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
I read through your post and really thought it was helpful. I've actually entered into talks with a publisher for a game I've designed. I'm curious though about what sort of royalties are typical. Is 5% of the net sales a good amount or is that ridiculous? I understand that they publisher will be doing all of the risk taking, investment, marketing, printing, etc., but I don't want to be naive. Does anyone have any comments on the appropriate percentage that game designers should receive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NTQ One
msg tools
Great piece of work. I wish I would have read it before I self-published the Non-Trivial Quest board game. I don't think I will ever do another one, just too much money and time. I think I'd look harder for a licensee or publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eve Park
msg tools
Thank you very much for this!

I was curious... does anyone have any resources for a place that will cast custom figurines? I would be interested in a 'small run' of maybe a couple hundred per model.

I have poked around a little on the forums, and have not found a link yet.

Thank you in advance, to anyone who responds!
Eve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It is time to revise and update this article once again. The landscape of publishing has changed significantly in the past 3 years with the rise of crowd-funding, innovations such as Square for credit card processing, analog to digital conversions for tablets, and more. I'll be adding sections to discuss each of these evolutions- and will be updating / adding links and tips based on some additional experiences within the last 3 years (last revision was 2009) having published two additional games in that time and taking on 5 more projects.

Questions to followers of this thread:
-What else would you like to see discussed?
-Do you have any helpful links that you'd like to see passed on?

Please send me a Geekmail with any suggestions (so we don't flood subscribers of this thread with updates). I'll compile them and work them into the edit, giving credit for the links or suggestions provided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melinda Zhang
msg tools
Great post! You have done much hardwork.
but I think successful designing, publishing and marketing should be based on manufacturing viability and cost-effective industrial maufacturing solution. So does any one has list with specific professional manufactrers which has main focus on board and card game manufacturing. It will be very useful to have prosperous future of board game industry.
Here I recommend this compay: Ningbo Lijia Industry
www.cnlijia.com.cn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Campbell
msg tools
I hear panda does a great job with game manufacturing.
www.pandagm.com
Actually, their quote system really helps you figure out what you did and more importantly didn't think about

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I made an Epic Kickstarter post to my blog today: Kicking & Screaming

http://www.jamesmathe.com/kicking-screaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt cocuzzi
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
kapow!
badge
biggie biggie bounce biggie bounce
mbmbmbmbmb
I've written a long post about this here:
http://twomonkeystudios.com/?p=257

I've copy/paste'd it to BGG and you can find it here:
Manufacturer Run-down for Influence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
eve01park wrote:

I was curious... does anyone have any resources for a place that will cast custom figurines? I would be interested in a 'small run' of maybe a couple hundred per model.

Eve

+1

I have a game I've been designing that could benefit from having 4 sets of 8 distinctive minis. I'm not really sure where to begin researching that sort of thing, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
talusproteus wrote:
eve01park wrote:

Eve

+1

I have a game I've been designing that could benefit from having 4 sets of 8 distinctive minis. I'm not really sure where to begin researching that sort of thing, though.

Typically, this requires finding and paying a sculptor. The best way to do this (in my opinion) is post the question on theminiaturespage.com forums (TMP) or get in touch with some people who make miniatures (look under the manufacturers listing on TMP). They may be willing to sculpt something for you for the right price- though- fair warning- this can get very expensive beyond just the sculpting cost.

Best,
Byron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We've hopefully supported a lot of aspiring designers and publishers with this post, our blog, and our appearance / seminar at the GAMA Trade Show. If you'd like to support us back, we currently have our fourth title on Kickstarter.com at the moment. We're trying to raise production funding to print starting in July. The project expires July 1, has some great rewards and exclusives, and we could really use your help to get there.

Thanks, here is the link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cewargames/frontline-gen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give it a post on my Facebook Kickstarter Games Fan page.

https://www.facebook.com/KickstarterGamesFan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks James I need to like that page if I haven't already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Arcilla
United States
California
flag msg tools
First of all, I just want to thank you for such a great and informative post. Your insight and experiences are definitely helpful to my and my co-partners who have been venturing into this endeavor. Apart from the actual physical elements of the game we're working on, our planning and designing has been going relatively well and it's nice to see the game taking shape as we move along. I definitely have this post saved for future reference as the development approaches completion.

I think one of the challenges for us has been more about tackling the business side of things. Though we've got names down with regards to the game title and the entity we wish to call ourselves, I think we're mostly stumped about what we should do. We've been focusing more on the design aspect than we have on the business side as most of us are clueless on that side of things.

Per the post, I'm looking at trying to get a business plan mocked up. However, I would definitely appreciate some guidance and advice about how we (group of 6 at this point) should approach the business angle in particular along with any recommendations on how this can come into play with publishing and such. Would an LLC be the right way to approach this? What kind of expenses should we be prepared to take on once we do this?

Thanks in advance for your replies. (Hope it's okay to post this question here, btw. Wasn't sure if I should have posted a new thread instead of posting here. I could contact you via email if that would be better)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt cocuzzi
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
kapow!
badge
biggie biggie bounce biggie bounce
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to talk to a business attorney. Spend the $125-250-whatever up front to avoid hell later.

Legalzoom.com is good for pricing but is not legal advice.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
cocuzzi wrote:
You need to talk to a business attorney. Spend the $125-250-whatever up front to avoid hell later.

Legalzoom.com is good for pricing but is not legal advice.

Good luck!

I agree with Matt's advice on this one. An LLC could work for sure, and an attorney could help you get your articles of incorporation together as well as help you all outline who does what and has what share of the business. In addition to just setting up, you'll want to pay particular attention to creating a "business plan" prior to making it real- that way you can be sure all six of you agree to the plan at the onset and are all on the same page with expectations. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.