Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2628 Posts
[1]  Prev «  44 , 45 , 46 , 47 , 48  Next »  [106] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Midwest

Subject: Edwardsville, IL Boardgaming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Edwardsville [+] MetroEast [+] St.Louis [+] Game_Group [+] AtomicSquash [+] Glen [+] Carbon [+] Glen_Carbon [+] [View All]
Brian Suhre
United States
edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How is The Castles of Burgundy?

Very satisfying game. Lots of ways to score points and gain extra actions through combo's.

My only true complaint is the many knowledge tiles in the game. Some are definitely better than others. Hard to say how balanced they are after 2 plays though.

Over all it's a solid game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Potter
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone asked me what projects I am backing on Kickstarter, etc. Here are my current outstanding games:

Exile Sun
For The Win Yes, I fully expect this to be crap but I got in when it was cheap.
D Day Dice Only because Wes said it was good.
Kings of Air and Steam
Briefcase the Boardgame
Garden Dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Aemisegger
United States
Glen Carbon
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I Kickstartered Briefcase as well. I was hoping that I was doing it so I could be special. But Mike ruined it for me again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Potter
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CptSquash wrote:

I Kickstartered Briefcase as well. I was hoping that I was doing it so I could be special. But Mike ruined it for me again.

Sorry, it just looked so juicy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Tuzzo
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I jumped on Gunship First Strike so I could be unique too. YAY ME!

Also be there at 7 on Monday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marge C.
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all! I've been playing games over at yucata http://www.yucata.de/en and they have Egizia there. I've always wanted to play it, but I'm having a hard time figuring it out from just reading the rules. Would someone mind bringing and teaching it tomorrow? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Honorable Mayor McCheese
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
margec01 wrote:
Hi all! I've been playing games over at yucata http://www.yucata.de/en and they have Egizia there. I've always wanted to play it, but I'm having a hard time figuring it out from just reading the rules. Would someone mind bringing and teaching it tomorrow? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
I can vouch for that 8)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marge C.
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorrellbo wrote:
margec01 wrote:
I can vouch for that 8)

LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Tuzzo
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
margec01 wrote:

I have it and will happily bring it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Potter
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Rolling Freight and Vinhos twice each this weekend. Both are fun although I have yet to figure out a path to victory with Vinhos. Both games of Rolling Freight went down to the wire with wins of no more than a couple of points between leaders in a 100+ point game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Vogler
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TonyBravo wrote:
margec01 wrote:

As do I. I will be happy to help fill out a game or teach if needed. Marge probably doesn't remember, but she taught a greenhorn, new gamer (me) Stone Age a little over a year ago.... She is partially to blame for my expanding collection of boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marge C.
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Supreme_H0sehead wrote:
TonyBravo wrote:
margec01 wrote:

As do I. I will be happy to help fill out a game or teach if needed. Marge probably doesn't remember, but she taught a greenhorn, new gamer (me) Stone Age a little over a year ago.... She is partially to blame for my expanding collection of boardgames.

Hi Dave, I do remember that game. Stone Age is one I have taught to quite a few folks, and I just recently put it back into my bag o' games. Yucata has reminded me how much I like some of those older games that I'd quit playing.

I'm looking forward to learning Egizia, so Chris S. won't be able to laugh at me any more. About that anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Potter
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Played: 4-9-2012

Egizia
Caylus Magna Carta
King of Tokyo
7 Wonders
Ninjato
Ascending Empires
Lords of Waterdeep x 2
Stone Age
Macao
Vinhos

Next game day will be 4-16-2012 6pm @ Heroic Adventures in Edwardsville
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Cooper
United States
Troy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In case anyone wondered, Vinhos is very cool. Once you get the (admittedly fairly complex) rules down, it is tons of fun. There is A LOT of stuff going on, but it interlocks in some very interesting ways. And, since everyone knows my main criteria for any game, it also gets the "gee, this game is pretty" seal of approval. On a side note, I also learned that if Mike says, "I suck at this game", he is guaranteed to dominate it from turn one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Potter
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iorekbyrnison wrote:
In case anyone wondered, Vinhos is very cool. Once you get the (admittedly fairly complex) rules down, it is tons of fun. There is A LOT of stuff going on, but it interlocks in some very interesting ways. And, since everyone knows my main criteria for any game, it also gets the "gee, this game is pretty" seal of approval. On a side note, I also learned that if Mike says, "I suck at this game", he is guaranteed to dominate it from turn one

I sucked until I played you guys. Just didn't realize the real competition is at home.

Seriously, there was 20 points of previous play experience in the game we played. I merged Quin and Zane's strategies for great results. The trick to these boardgames is to raise smart children than steal their techniques.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Potter
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Comments for all those Kickstarter users (like me) from one of my favorite sites.

Slashdot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Honorable Mayor McCheese
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is Lords of Waterdeep?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Vogler
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdpotter wrote:
CptSquash wrote:

Different mechanics, similar theme - is anyone Kickstarting Ground Floor? This one sounds a little "dry" to me....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Dunning
United States
Glen Carbon
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorrellbo wrote:

Everyone who has played it seems to like it a lot. Sadly, I am not one of those people yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marge C.
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorrellbo wrote:

I was initially turned off by the D&D theme, but Tony assured me it's more like a Stone Age worker placement game than an RPG. In fact, I just decided to collect orage, black, or purple cubes. I didn't have to know or care that purple cubes are clerics, black are rogues or whatever.

It's a bit like Caylus meets Stone Age. You have buildings to go to and collect stuff. You can build buildings and get a bonus if somebody uses your building--cubes or money or cards. A fun worker placement game with some "take that" cards. In fact I lost a game last night due to someone playing a Mandatory Quest on me in the last turn, so that I couldn't complete the 25 point quest I was going to get done that turn. Our scores at the end were tied, but he won by the tiebreaker of an extra dollar or two.

The game lists at $50, so I used the discount on Monday night and got it for a reasonable price. Unfortunately, the box is "pretty" but not very strong and it is already torn. And if you take out the insert (which Tony loves, but I could do without) the box will not be strong enough to hold the components separately. I might end up carrying this game around in a shoebox of all things. Still and all it is a fun game to play. Not worldbeating, but good.

Our buddy/pal Dan W. claimed that it is "too random," but then he also claimed Last Will was too random last night as well. Methinks any game Dan loses he decides it's random. Okay, there is some randomness to the quests, but there are plenty of opportunities to get them and there is no penalty for not completing them. Just like many games, you have to maximize your opportunities, and geez in a first play you might not know all your opportunities. So you play it again! Duh. Sorry, mini rant over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Potter
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Supreme_H0sehead wrote:
mdpotter wrote:
CptSquash wrote:

Different mechanics, similar theme - is anyone Kickstarting Ground Floor? This one sounds a little "dry" to me....

I glanced at it briefly and seemed kind of boring. I haven't been back since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Potter
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorrellbo wrote:

I have played it about 5 time now. It is a medium weight strategy game that has enough luck to give beginners a chance at winning. Each placement usually requires some thought.

I find it plays best with five since more of the positions are filled each turn. With 4, you almost always have a good placement option so, fighting for first player is not that important.

Overall, I enjoy playing it and have already gotten my moneys worth of game time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Tuzzo
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorrellbo wrote:

I love it. It's a medium game with enough strategy to permit a couple venues to win the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Aemisegger
United States
Glen Carbon
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Like the Game, but still have serious questions about the Intrigue cards. I have won the game all three times I have played it so far so I shouldn't be complaining at all. Just still have serious questions about the power of the cards.

On a separate note I have been given permission to post The Atomic Squash Monday's on the Metro East Meetup. But I need a couple of more "Attending" before it will post to the group.

If you are member of the meetup please take a look.

http://www.meetup.com/Metro-East-Board-Gamers/events/6042851...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CptSquash wrote:

If you are member of the meetup please take a look.

http://www.meetup.com/Metro-East-Board-Gamers/events/6042851...

done and done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  44 , 45 , 46 , 47 , 48  Next »  [106] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.