Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Date: January 4th, 2005

Game: Canal Grande

Players: Johnny and Valdir (myself)

Last month I found out about the Montreal Boardgames Meetup Group (http://boardgames.meetup.com/102), registered and yesterday (January 4th) I went for the first meeting of this group.

In terms of attendance, it was a big disappointment: of the twelve people registered in the group only four cared to RSVP the invitation and only one (other than me) showed up at the Café Indigo in Ste Catherine street to meet. And this other member was Johnny, whom I knew already from the Concordia University Games Club. So in terms of meeting new players, it was a total failure. I hope that more people will show up in the upcoming events...

Anyway, Johnny and I talked some time about this whole meetup thing and also about our plans for the Concordia Games Club. We may have a "Risk night" or some other such thing coming up in the next few weeks.

I had brought a few small games with me for the meeting. I taught him the rules to Canal Grande and we played a game. He was lucky enough to get a doge right in the first round and so won an uncontested vote. Right after he got another doge and a spy. The two cards he got from the draw deck were doges! He started three votes and I still didn’t have much to show in terms of a hand of cards, so he won all three votes uncontested! Before I could do anything he was already leading 4x0 without even trying too hard!

After this the doge cards were a bit rare so we both amassed a large hand of cards. When the doge card finally came up Johnny decided to start a vote on the pink district, one of the two that he was missing to win the game. Of course I couldn’t let him win it, because that would mean that he would need just one more card to win the game. Therefore I fought to the bitter end and won that one district, however that meant that my hand was severely depleted while his was almost untouched.

The next vote he won easily because my hand was still too small, so the score was now 5x1, I was walking on the brink of defeat. Somehow my luck changed and I was able to win the next three votes, catching up with him. But in order to do that my hand was again depleted and worse yet, he got two traitors (bringing my hand to just two cards). As he had taken a doge, he called a vote on his last missing district (Castello, if I’m not mistaken) and I couldn’t counter that, he ended up winning 6x4. It’s not fair! I teach them the game and people don’t have the decency of letting me win!...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.