Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Aldridge
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question regarding playing Special Event cards during Epidemics. Which case sounds right?

A) Player #1 has a Special Event card for "Resilient Population." During the draw, an Epidemic card is drawn. Since an Epidemic card was drawn, player #1 decides to play their Special Event card to remove a city from the infection discard pile *before* they are reshuffled.

B) Player #1 has a Special Event card for "Resilient Population." Before the draw, the player must decide if the risk for drawing an Epidemic card is high enough to warrant playing the Special Event card to prevent the ill effects of a city being redrawn. If he decides to hold the card and an Epidemic card is drawn, it is too late. The cards must be reshuffled before he would have a chance to pick a city from the discard.

To state it differently, are Special Events like interrupts and instants in Magic where all play stops to resolve the card, or is it like scenario B where you need to decide to play preventatively beforehand, and if an Epidemic is drawn, you have to resolve it immediately meaning you can't halt play in the middle of resolving the impact of an Epidemic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
I play it as A. Play the special card after the Epidemic is drawn but before the reshuffle occurs. I thought this is what was said a while ago but I am not 100% sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A is correct. You can literally play the special cards any time. If you held Air Lift, and you drew an Infection card that was going to result in enough outbreaks to lose the game, or cause enough cubes to be added to lose the game, you could Air Lift the Medic to that city (assuming that disease had been cured) to remove all the cubes of that color "just in time" to prevent disaster.

Corrected by Matt below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
A is correct. You can literally play the special cards any time. If you held Air Lift, and you drew an Infection card that was going to result in enough outbreaks to lose the game, or cause enough cubes to be added to lose the game, you could Air Lift the Medic to that city (assuming that disease had been cured) to remove all the cubes of that color "just in time" to prevent disaster.

Ah, gee... I don't know about that example. Once that Infection Card has been drawn, the city has thus been infected... actually placing the cubes is merely the representation of that infection. You're saying that you can move the Medic to remove cubes after the Infection Card is drawn but before the cube of the Infection Card is placed, and that seems like an inappropriate stretch of license.

However, in the OP's scenario, the different steps involved in an Epidemic are distinct to the point that a Special Card can be played in between any of them (i.e. Resilient Population to remove a card from the Infection discard pile before that pile is reshuffled and placed on top).

Then again, I suppose "any time" should mean "any time", and any of the steps in the game, including actually placing the cube of an Infection Card as opposed to merely having drawn the card, could be considered distinct enough so that you could interrupt them with a Special Card, regardless... Hmm, that's interesting, though. I'd be curious as to how Matt Leacock would respond to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For this specific example, there are steps on the epidemic card to be followed. We presume a 'pause' before the first step, between each step, and after the last step.

Specials like Resiliant Population, Forecast and One Quiet Night are the ones most likely to be used during these pauses, and if we know Resilient Population is available, we'll always ask before the discard shuffle and return to deck if it's going to be used.

Indeed, that's really the best time to use it, barring the requirement to discard down.

As to airlifting a Medic with a Cure to a hot spot, interesting, but I too would like an official ruling on that one.

In my mind, once the infection has been drawn, the Medic is too late, and they could be airlifted in to clean up the mess, but not to stop it 'as it's happening.

Helicopters are not faster than sneezing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
You're saying that you can move the Medic to remove cubes after the Infection Card is drawn but before the cube of the Infection Card is placed, and that seems like an inappropriate stretch of license.

Yeah, seems that way to me too. Maybe Matt will chip in an official ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Leacock
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hi folks

You can play the cards at any time, however, you can't play them between an event and the representation of the event on the board. Some scenarios may help explain this:

Scenario 1:
Player #1 has a Special Event card for "Resilient Population." During the draw, an Epidemic card is drawn. Since an Epidemic card was drawn, player #1 decides to play their Special Event card to remove a city from the infection discard pile before they are reshuffled. This is legal because the card was played before the cards were reshuffled.

Scenario 2:
A player may use the Forecast card to rearrange the cards on the top of the infection deck before they're drawn -- but once a card is drawn, the player can't rearrange the cards.

Scenario 3:
The Red disease has been eradicated. A player draws the Taipei card which results in the 8th outbreak. Since no time elapses between the drawing of the Taipei card (resulting in the infection) and the placing of the cubes (representing the infection), the players lose the game. It's not OK to Airlift the medic over to Taipei to cure because the cubes have already been added and the game has already been lost.

Hope this helps.

- Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mleacock wrote:
Scenario 3:
The Red disease has been eradicated. A player draws the Taipei card which results in the 8th outbreak. Since no time elapses between the drawing of the Taipei card (resulting in the infection) and the placing of the cubes (representing the infection), the players lose the game. It's not OK to Airlift the medic over to Taipei to cure because the cubes have already been added and the game has already been lost.

I stand corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mleacock wrote:
Scenario 3:

That was supposed to be "has not been eradicated", right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
That was supposed to be "has not been eradicated", right?

Or "has been cured".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Leacock
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Ha! Yeah, I guess I screwed that up. If the red disease was eradicated, there wouldn't be cubes on the board. ;-) Please read eradicated as cured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Czech Mate
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mleacock wrote:
Ha! Yeah, I guess I screwed that up. If the red disease was eradicated, there wouldn't be cubes on the board. ;-) Please read eradicated as cured.

Perhaps you wouldn't mind making the edits to the above post dated Sun Jul 20,2008 11:10 am ?

As a newbie to the game I'm glad I read all the way through this forum entry to see the correct wording (regarding eradicated vs. cured). But I realized that if I had been in a rush and trying desperately to find an answer so a game could continue, I may not have taken the time to read past your first explanation post.

Thanks!
mikey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.