Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Kearon
United Kingdom
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Two questions about the end of game:

1) The (translated) rules say that "as soon as a player has drawn the last discovery tile from the last stack, each player including the player who drew the tile, has one last turn". Does this mean that if I draw (& perhaps place) the last tile, then every player gets one complete turn until it gets around to me, and I then have the last turn of the game?

2) During that last turn, when there are no tiles left to draw, must players "pass" if they have no face-up tile in front of themselves and aren't able to buy a face-up tile in front of another player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
1. Yes.

2. I don't believe the rules specify (I will double-check), but that's what we assumed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kearon
United Kingdom
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Many thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveK2 wrote:
2) During that last turn, when there are no tiles left to draw, must players "pass" if they have no face-up tile in front of themselves and aren't able to buy a face-up tile in front of another player?

The final round works in exactly the same way as any other round, and "pass" is not part of the vocabolary of the rules.

First you decide whether to move or not. Then you place a tile, if you are able to. While you are not obliged to pay a water to use your Guide, the rules does not allow to volutarily refuse to place a free tile.

And even if you cannot place a tile, you can always move or stay still. However you cannot "pass".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kearon
United Kingdom
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
First you decide whether to move or not. Then you place a tile, if you are able to.

That's nice & clear Mik, but the English translation here isn't quite as clear.

The translation does describe what happens if you cannot place a tile, and doesn't suggest you have any choice whether to place a tile if you are legally able to do so.

However ... the rules don't cover the case where I cannot even get a tile to decide whether or not it's legal to place - hence the question. I used the word "pass" simply to suggest "Having possibly moved, I seem unable to do what the rules say I must do for tile placement, so I must skip placing a tile".

The German rules may, of course, be clearer in this situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kearon
United Kingdom
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Great Dane wrote:
While you are not obliged to pay a water to use your Guide

Actually, the English rules translation here, and the player aid say you must do one of three things, so if you can't draw a tile or use one in front of you, then I would have said you must pay a water to use your guide.

Are the German rules different on this point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The German rules doesn't say that you 'must' place a tile. They simply state that you 'do' it. So in the end you may end up with a situation where you will have to pay a water unless you move onto a place where you cannot place a tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Orgulas
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SteveK2 wrote:
Great Dane wrote:
While you are not obliged to pay a water to use your Guide

Actually, the English rules translation here, and the player aid say you must do one of three things, so if you can't draw a tile or use one in front of you, then I would have said you must pay a water to use your guide.

Are the German rules different on this point?

Checked with author:

Spending water is never mandatory.
So, you must draw /place a tile if there is one available, but you do not have to spend water to make a tile available to you.
If it is your turn in the final round and you could place the tile another player has displayed in front of him, you may take it for one water, but you need not do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.