Popular Tags: [View All]
Kwanchai Moriya
United States
Monrovia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone should get a chance to play Zombie Plague. Over the past few years, I've put together many copies of ZP. I’ve made about 20+ copies of the game, including copies for myself and a mini “print-run” for friends. I know a lot of people do their print-and-play games in a variety of methods. But, I’d like to share the cheapest, quickest, and most effective method I’ve learned through the many copies I’ve made. There are many ways to glitz and glamorize your copy of Zombie Plague (and I have done them all), but I’d like to make this explanation concise and effective with the hopes of getting new players up and running as quickly as possible. And it’s actually quite simple.

THINGS YOU NEED:

“Kwanchai’s Updated Zombie Plague Package” PDF file (FREE)
This can be downloaded from the “Files” section of Boardgamegeek’s Zombie Plague page. It contains the latest game board, search cards, and revised rules.
link to file -> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/24814
Twilight Creations’ Zombies!!! Bag O’ Zombies ($10)
This can be bought at most game stores for about $10, or at most online board game stores. I have seen stand-up zombies that you can print out. But I feel strongly that plastic miniature zombies truly deliver the game experience, so I have listed it as a must-buy. If you happen to own Mall of Horror, Last Night on Earth, Zombietown, or any other zombie board game, you luckily already have a set of plastic zombies.

3 to 6 human player figures
These can be any human-like figures. Ideally, they should be around 1” tall, since the zombies are about that tall. They need to have a “facing,” meaning you must be able to tell what direction the figure is facing. Decent figures can be borrowed from a plethora of different board games. Obviously, the more they look like “average human citizens” the better for the atmosphere of the game.

Spray adhesive ($8)
3M’s Super 77 spray adhesive is my favorite. It has to be a spray adhesive because it will not warp the sheets and will be a solid permanent adhesion.
At least 30” x 30” total of matte board ($2 - $3)
Any kind of matte board works, and can be found at most art supply or custom framing stores. Foam board works but is unnecessarily thick.
¼”-wide square wooden dowel, at least 12” long. ($1 - $3)
This can be bought at any craft or art supply store, and will be used to make barricade markers.
6 sheets of 110 lb. cardstock ($1)
This is essentially the heaviest “paper” you can get, and will be used for the backs of the search cards. Try to avoid buying an entire pack of cardstock, as you can often purchase loose sheets at the printing services desk of an office supply store. Any color is fine but darker colors look nicer. You CAN opt to not buy cardstock and just have the search cards without a backing, but after a few plays the cards will look terrible.
A few regular six-sided dice
Two or more dice will be enough.
Paper cutter
If you don’t have a paper cutter, scissors will work but prepare for some pretty sore fingers and uneven edges.

PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:

Step 1: Printing the files
The first step is to print out the “Updated Zombie Plague Package” PDF file. I would recommend putting the PDF file on a flash drive or a CD and taking it to your local Office Max, Kinko’s, etc, and have it printed up for you. This will get you great quality laser-prints for relatively cheap. The laser-printed images are more durable to moisture and handling. The places I’ve seen do full-service color copies anywhere from $.50 to $1.00 per page, and have it ready in minutes.

Step 2: Assembling the game board.
(7 printed pages of game board images, paper cutter, spray adhesive, matte board)
Using the paper cutter, trim around the 7 game board images (including the Cellar), leaving about ¼” of excess around the border of each image. Then, cut the matte board into 7 sections sized enough to fit each of your trimmed game board images. Using the spray adhesive, spray the back of each game board image and one side of its matching matte board section, and then press the sprayed faces together. Once you’ve done this for all the images, use the paper cutter to trim each game board section exactly to its printed edge, giving the boards a nice finished edge.

Step 3: Assembling the search cards.
(6 printed pages of search cards, spray adhesive, paper cutter, and 6 sheets of 110 lb. cardstock)
Using the spray adhesive, spray the back of a printed search card page and the side of one sheet of cardstock, then press them together. Once you’ve done this for all the search card pages, cut each search card out exactly using the paper cutter.

Step 4: Cutting barricade markers.
(wooden dowel, handsaw)
Cut the dowel into 1 inch pieces.

Step 5: Search for useful items, barricade the house, and fend off zombies, in other words… PLAY THE GAME!
Admire your hard work. Read the rules over a few times. Invite a few friends over. I've found that the ideal gaming experience happens with 5 players (4 human players and 1 zombie player). Get your human figures, zombies figures, and dice and play a session Zombie Plague.

Again, these are pretty basic assembly guidelines. But this article is meant to provide you with a path to your first Zombie Plague session. Once you have delved into Zombie Plague there are many ways to upgrade your ZP experience. A few are listed below, starting with my most recommended ideas first.

1. Join the Yahoo! Zombie Plague forum for variants, expansions, new search cards, and more at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/zombie_plague/

2. Make custom dice using the dice face sets included in the updated package PDF file.

3. Buy a set of Last Night on Earth plastic hero figures from Flying Frog Games’ website.

4. For lasting durability, use Krylon’s Clear Acrylic Spray (or other clear acrylic finish) to finish the surfaces of all your printed material.

5. Use the box cover images provided in the PDF file to make your own game box.

6. Buy a corner rounder, found at any craft store, to finish the corners of all the search cards.

7. Print out some expansion maps, found in the “Files” sections of BGG’s Zombie Plague page.

~Kwanchai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Sylvania
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
After months of waiting, I've finally sent this one off to my local print shop. Tomorrow the stuff comes back, and I'll put everything together. I'm excited, and I'm looking forward to playing the game. After my less-than-thrilling experience with LNOE, I'm hoping Zombie Plague can do it for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Leenaerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been working on a Dutch translation of this game for a while (my laptop regularly crashes because of the huge files Kwanchai provided) but it's nearing its completion.

Thanks for this info. Just some questions though:
- What's 'Matte board'? I've tried googling it but I can't really find what it's called in Dutch.
- You've printed the 'search cards' on regular paper first and then glued them on thick card stock. Why not just print them on the thick card stock and skip the regular paper part?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Pancoast
United States
Lake Ann
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used foam board instead of Matte Board. It makes the board a little thicker than necessary, but it works. I had a store like Staples print it on regular paper, laminated it onto foam board, and then cut the board for me. Ended up being around $45. When I made my second board I just printed it on regular paper and laminated it. Plays just the same, but a lot cheaper!

In regards to the cards, I just ordered them from Artscow.com Turned out way better than anything I could have done! Highly recommend using them.

Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leslie Frith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Did you have to do anything special to get the cards from artscow I.e. alter the pdf's?.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Pancoast
United States
Lake Ann
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ihova22 wrote:
Did you have to do anything special to get the cards from artscow I.e. alter the pdf's?.

Cheers

I didn't have to do anything special. Here is a post where Jason took the time to create a custom deck which makes great use of all the cards you would get from Artscow. I highly recommend it! You just need to go and place your order!

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/6765537#6765537

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.