Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings Czech geeks!

I'll be travelling to Prague at the beginning of October to attend the Mind Sports Olympiads.
I'm very excited. But I'm also very confused: I'm trying to book a hotel and I'd like to see on GoogleMaps where it is in the city, and I'm not quite sure how the street system works.

For instance, the address I have for the event is Újezd 40, Prague 1.
And then, the address I have for the hotel (Roma Hotel) is Újezd 24, Prague 11800.

(Google is apparently telling me that they are very close together, but I'd like to be sure I'm not totally mistaken here...)

I can't make heads or tails of it. blush
What does Újezd stand for? I thought it was street. But if it does... then I don't get the rest.

Sorry for my being so thick.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Vit
Czech Republic
Zabcice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should be no problem. Újezd is really the street name.
Praha 1 - the "1" means the district number
11800 is the ZIP code

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I don't speak Czech (i.e. don't trust me entirely), I am pretty sure that, in common with many European countries, they put the house number after the name of the street. So indeed, your hotel is 8 doors down from the event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha ha... Apparently I was the victim of a strange happenstance: the venue for the event and BOTH of the hotels I checked out happened to be on the exact same street. Which led me to believe that what I thought was the street name might be something else... blush

All right. So if the 1 means district 1, what does the rest (1800) mean? Would this be like a postal/zip code?

In any case, thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Batten
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
Death and the dice level all distinctions.
badge
And so it goes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Shaddy wrote:
11800 is the ZIP code

Hope this helps

Michal posted this above

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
flag msg tools
As far as I remember, Ujezd is a nice street very close to the Small Market Square right in the heart of Prague, which I think, is definitely the most beautiful European capital city. Be prepared for some exciting night walks there...in any direction. Have a great time and don't forget to see places like Karluv Most, Mala Strana, St. Viths Cathedral and the Orloy Clock. . If you like beer, you should ask for "U Fleku" pub. It's a place you shouldn't miss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gmonk wrote:
Shaddy wrote:
11800 is the ZIP code

Hope this helps

Michal posted this above

Well, when I get lost, I really do get lost, don't I? zombie

Thanks, Rod.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew2008 wrote:
As far as I remember, Ujezd is a nice street very close to the Small Market Square right in the heart of Prague, which I think, is definitely the most beautiful European capital city. Be prepared for some exciting night walks there...in any direction. Have a great time and don't forget to see places like Karluv Most, Mala Strana, St. Viths Cathedral and the Orloy Clock. . If you like beer, you should ask for "U Fleku" pub. It's a place you shouldn't miss.

I'll make sure to give them a look.
Thanks for the tips!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Two things I'm wondering about:

1. What's the best way to get from the airport to the city center? (My hotel is in the Mala Strana). Are taxis too expensive? Are buses fairly convenient?

2. Can I use an ATM to withdraw money "internationaly?" What I mean is, do the ATM in the Czech Republic part of the Interac of Plus system? When I traveled to Germany, I didn't bother to get money changed beforehand: I just walked up to an ATM as soon as I landed, and used my Canadian bank card to withdraw Euros.
I assume I'll be able to do the same there (except I'll be withdrawing Korun, naturally). But I'd rather make sure before I board the plane.

Pardon my ignorance, and thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Syrovatka
Czech Republic
Beroun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
Two things I'm wondering about:

1. What's the best way to get from the airport to the city center? (My hotel is in the Mala Strana). Are taxis too expensive? Are buses fairly convenient?

2. Can I use an ATM to withdraw money "internationaly?" What I mean is, do the ATM in the Czech Republic part of the Interac of Plus system? When I traveled to Germany, I didn't bother to get money changed beforehand: I just walked up to an ATM as soon as I landed, and used my Canadian bank card to withdraw Euros.
I assume I'll be able to do the same there (except I'll be withdrawing Korun, naturally). But I'd rather make sure before I board the plane.

Pardon my ignorance, and thanks for the help!

Hello and welcome to Czech Republic!
1) yes, the taxis are expensive, but you can take a bus from the airport which I believe takes you to the subway station Nove Butovice, from which you can take the subway to Andel station and then the tram directly to Ujezd.

2)I´m sure you will be able to do it here.

If you need help, just send me a geek mail and I can get you more detailed directions, the subway can be confusing (and the taxes for it are hard to understand even for czechs ) so if you wish, we can meet at the airport and I will show you the way to Ujezd. Have a nice time in Prague!

Edit: yes, the 11800 is the postal code, your hotel is 8 buildings from the event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomas,

Are you seriously offering to meet me at airport? Don't you have to work or something?

This is very generous of you. I just hope that won't be necessary...
My travel guide says that CEDAZ operations a sort of minibus shuttle that goes from the airport to the city center. Only problem: I can't figure out exactly where the bus stops once it reaches Praha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Syrovatka
Czech Republic
Beroun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a working student but it shouldn't be a problem to help a fellow geek The bus goes from airport to Nové Butovice and from there it's 4 subway stations to Anděl, where you can take a tram to Újezd, it's not far from there. If you want to I can meet you at the airport or at the subway station and show you the way.
Here is a little guide which could be useful:

http://www.my-prague-apartments.com/Guide.aspx?GuideArticleI...

Prague is a very beautiful city and I hope you will enjoy your stay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.