Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just begun playing this game with my 9-year-old, but he's getting tired of losing to me. Any recommendations on how I can handicap myself, but still enjoy the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Appelcline
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Suggestions on handicapping?
Start with less meeples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shannona (#80095),

Have you tried a "teaching" game? You could state up front that you are going to teach him some strategies on winning the game. Then play the game normally, but once he's made his move, talk to him about why he chose that spot. Get him to defend the placement (I want to add a gold nugget to this city). Once he's done so, point out other potential moves and why.

It's important not to approach this with a "your move was wrong," but instead just make sure he understands the strategies involved. It's possible that he hasn't caught on to some aspect of the game and playing this way may reveal his weaknesses.

Just a suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
davebo (#80091),

- The rule of four: always check if there is a net point gain of four points available, such as closing a quick forest or river, rather than dogin something silly like adding an animal or forest to something you own, which only gains two.

- Always try for six point forests, which gain you a bonus tile.

- Take meadows when they are worth at least 8-10 points, and easy to close or defenf

- learn how to merge, and only when it is worth it, usually for 8 or more points.

- Note the basic odds of pieces showing up with 3, 2, 1, or 0 liberties. Note special piece counts in the game, such as all meadows, one river, all rivers, etc...

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Sylvan
Sweden
STOCKHOLM
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
davebo (#80091),

When playing a 9-year-old, I’d suggest you give your opponent a bunch of bonus points before game start (10, 25, 50 or whatever suits the difference in skill between the two of you!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Sylvan
Sweden
STOCKHOLM
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
davebo (#80091),

When playing a 9-year-old, I’d suggest you give your opponent a bunch of bonus points before game start (10, 25, 50 or whatever suits the difference in skill between the two of you!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.