Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:
drewdane wrote:

And I'll keep bumping it 'til it gets pinned

A geek messageg to admin Octavian worked for me.

I think I did already. Not gonna cry myself to sleep over it tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
Only 6 months until the next round.
badge
A little lower and to the left, please.
mbmb
Maybe I'll try that. But in the meantime... Oh look, I bumped it again modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using GimpShop to get the feel of Photoshop without the price tag. Seems to be able to open and use most photoshop files (Gimp probably does this already) but also, any tutorials for photoshop are supposed to pretty much work for Gimpshop.

http://www.gimpshop.com/

Since those links to Clip Art sites are useful, another that I've been exploring more of late is http://www.deviantart.com/ , specially the Resources & Stock Images area. Lots of good stuff on there, tutorials on various graphic effects backgrounds for cards/boards and other goodies. Some of the stock images are free to use as you like, some are supposed to link back to the origin for usage and others are asking you to pay, but for your own use or prototype it shouldn't be a big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
Quote:
but for your own use or prototype it shouldn't be a big deal.

That's not entirely true.
If you're going to be pulling illustrations or even stock from someone's account at least be aware of the Creative Commons License (which much of the deviantart site revolves around). If you have doubt at any point, then simply ask for permission and frame how you will be using the existing artwork.

We illustrators aren't monsters or greedy bastards, we just like to know where our work is going. A head's up is a damn good exercise of the social contract in such a small industry.

simpson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Seconded
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Bumped after adding Aviary free graphics software link.

Sticky this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Carnevale
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I want to add Magic Set Editor:

http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

It's great IMHO to create cards for prototypes (or even final products, if you want to spend some time designing new templates) that look zillion times better than blank cards with titles written in 'Comic Sans' font.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinned! IT IS DONE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Photoshop Elements a free program? It should be since it comes with every Canon digi camera Ive bought.
Not as extensive as the full program, but works 80% as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
Quote:
Pinned! IT IS DONE!

congrats!
now push for a Game Artist uberbadge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
NoodleArtist wrote:
Is Photoshop Elements a free program? It should be since it comes with every Canon digi camera Ive bought.
Not as extensive as the full program, but works 80% as well.

No. Adobe does sell it in shrink wrap in office stores. When you buy the camera you get a free license but no access to version upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/) - An image viewer but it's got a batch processing tool which comes in real handy if you want to resize/sharpen/tone a large number of images (like for tiles).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
filwi wrote:
Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/) - An image viewer but it's got a batch processing tool which comes in real handy if you want to resize/sharpen/tone a large number of images (like for tiles).

Posted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[maˈtiːas]
Germany
Much
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody mentioned the SAK for (bulk) image manipulation? Well, imagemagick of course - if you aren't afraid of prompts that is

Quote:
ImageMagick® is a software suite to create, edit, and compose bitmap images. It can read, convert and write images in a variety of formats (over 100) including DPX, EXR, GIF, JPEG, JPEG-2000, PDF, PhotoCD, PNG, Postscript, SVG, and TIFF. Use ImageMagick to translate, flip, mirror, rotate, scale, shear and transform images, adjust image colors, apply various special effects, or draw text, lines, polygons, ellipses and Bézier curves.

regarding PS/PDF ghostscript might be useful. It does an excellent job compressing OOo-pdfs.

Quote:
Ghostscript is a package of software that provides:

* An interpreter for the PostScript (TM) language, with the ability to convert PostScript language files to many raster formats, view them on displays, and print them on printers that don't have PostScript language capability built in;
* An interpreter for Portable Document Format (PDF) files, with the same abilities;
* The ability to convert PostScript language files to PDF (with some limitations) and vice versa

Need help with fonts/types? typophile FTW!
More type-related stuff:
Ellen Lupton: Thinking w/Type
Blambot Comic Fonts and Lettering (50/50 free/pay fonts)
TypeNow.net Themed Fonts Download Free Movie and Music Fonts (well, "All fonts are copyrights of their respective designers")
Lipsum generator (dummy-text with style )
and just for fun t.y.p.o.r.g.a.n.i.s.m : ASCII-O-Matic

Designing color-schemes in a few secs:
Color Scheme Designer 3
ColorSchemer - Online Color Scheme Generator
Create color harmonies

Texture library

Some links might be a bit (web-) design-oriented - sorry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Del_Esau wrote:
filwi wrote:

Posted!

You already have it on the list. it was the 2nd program posted in this thread.

Big congrats on the pinning though. I may even delete all of my bump-posts now... Maybe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Free art program...

http://www.artweaver.de/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D.
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Two good free art programs are

The Gimp, which is photoshop near-equivalent
and
MyPaint, which is a digital painting program that has brushes that emulate a variety of real media (oils, pastels, charcoal, etc) as well as textures like fur and grass. It's meant for a grpahics tablet, but works pretty well with just a mouse as well. The main difference is that graphics tablets allow you to use varying amounts of pressure instead of a single value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d g
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Desktop Publishing (can be used to make really good .pdfs):

Scribushttp://www.scribus.net/

Bit of a learning curve but I've found it's great for making sure your images stay hi-res when putting them in a pdf (Microsoft Office really likes to compress them down to 72 dpi, Scribus will take it exactly as-is).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I've been doing lately, in collecting images/silhouettes/icons for various game ideas, is hitting Archive.org for movies/documentaries, etc.. taking a snapshot, cutting the image I want,decorating and special effecting in GIMP as desired. Imagination is really the only potential limit.

I 'assume' it would be safe to use these from legit PD sources. If I'm wrong, I welcome corrections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
England
Barnard Castle
flag msg tools
designer
not the nose, not the nose!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some links from my Bookmarks:

FREE Cute PDF maker

FREE Clip Art

FREE Textures

FREE Fractal generator

FREE Sculpture Programme

Free Dogwaffle Art Programme

FREE 3D Object Creator

FREE Landscape Generator

FREE Fonts

FREE Shape Repository

FREE Sci Fi 3D Resource

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found Sculptris today and wanted to share:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
s3rvant wrote:

Looks great, should be quite useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
s3rvant wrote:

Added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattlemark
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
http://www.fontsquirrel.com/

Wonderful font site, most of these can be used in commercial projects, but always research and double check the licensing to be sure, as I've found a few slip through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I was looking for an easy way to create game boards. Something that would allow you to pick a number of squares, hexes, or intersections on the board and it would auto-generate.

Any resources or other threads related to this?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.