2015 Support Drive – Ending in:
2144 supporters - GeekGold Bonus for All 2015 Supporters: 21.44 + 4.14 = 25.58
As per rulebook :
"In Switch Secrets Of the Temple, you control a Character equipped with different skills, weapons and armors. Over the course of the game you may collect various Cards to assist you. The Objective of the Game is to find the Magical Chime to obtain the Treasure Chest and reveal the location of the Escape Portal. Get to the Escape Portal to win. Along the way, you will be attacked by monsters and, very likely, by your friends.
1. You control a Character and use Power and Item Cards to provide your Character with skills, weapons and armors.
2. Power Cards are distributed at the beginning of the game while Item Cards can be collected on the Board.
3. You will receive Wish Cards randomly from time to time. It gives a one time use of an item or a special effect to help you in your battle. Hidden amongst the Wish Cards is the Magical Chime.
4. When the Magical Chime is revealed, see the Playmat for instructions. At the end of his Movement Stage, the Player who drew the Magical Chime will gain possession of the Treasure Chest and an Escape Portal will appear in one of the Secret Chambers. The goal of the game is for that Player to get to that Secret Chamber.
5. When you have successfully entered an Escape Portal, a surprise awaits you! Roll a die, see the consequences of the roll on the Playmat (FINAL CHALLENGE) - to decide whether you escape without fighting or if you have to defeat the Gatekeeper in a final battle to escape.
6. Throughout the game, you can fight solo, or team up with other Players against monsters and the Gatekeeper. However, when you retrieve the Treasure Chest, you can be attacked by other Players too.
7. The Game ends when:-
a) A Player escapes with the Treasure Chest; or b) Rooms 1 to 6 have been removed in the Game by Earthquakes (a special condition in the Unleashed Card); or c) One Player is left standing and is declared the winner of the Game.
8. Through out the game, look out for the Eye Cards in the Secret Chambers, Find the Eye Card that matches the color of your Start Position. If there is no match, return it face down without revealing it to anyone. If you find a match, retrieve it and you can now use your Legendary Weapon Power Card at anytime, like any other Power Card without the need to discard the Eye Card. While retrieving it is optional, it is advisable to find your Eye Card to help you defeat the Gatekeeper in the Final Challenge.
Sounds simple? but be forewarned of the many obstacles and surprises from drawing of Monster Cards, Event Cards and Unleashed Cards."
SET UP OF POWER CARDS
1. Pick a Character Card. See his class (i.e. swordsman, assassin or monk etc).
2. Select only the classes and numbers of Power Cards allowed by the Characters' class (e.g. a magician can only use a magician-class Power Cards).
3. See the Character Card again and select the number Life stated therein. If you lose all your Life, you are defeated.
4. Select up to two Power Cards and place them on the right side of the Character Card. This is called Active Power Cards. You are limited to two Active Power Cards. The balance of unused Power Cards are placed face down in the Inventory on the left side of the Character Card.
5. When you have collected Item Cards, you may place only 1 face down on the Active Slot. This is called Active Item Card. You must place the unused Item Cards face down in the Inventory. Item Cards are placed face down so that your opponents do not know what items you have as they will be able to steal one from you in the course of the Game.
6. During a battle, you may choose to use ONE Card (either a Power Card or an Item Card) from the Active Slot. Once used, remove it and place it face down in the Inventory.
7. From the Inventory, you may swap or re-equip any card in the Active Slot up to the number of cards allowed (2 Power & 1 Item) during the Management Stage of your turn.
The rules sounds simple enough. Hey, will there be an extra character available for preorder customers only? Just curious...
We tried out a six player game of Switch this past Saturday with mixed results and a few questions came up.
First of all, I think the most frustrating thing was that the chimes didn't come up until the third to last wish card came up so things were fairly tame for most of the game as unleashed cards didn't come into play until late. I suppose we should have been trying to get through the wish deck as quickly as possible (but it just seemed way too long to get to the interesting part)
Second, we ended up calling the game with no winner declared due to the following:
The treasure was being passed around a few of the players after being defeated etc... and then one of them was taken down by the Gatekeeper. From what the rules say, the treasure ends up getting put on an item slot in the room that the character was defeated in and could then be picked up by standing on the "item" circle on the path. However, before anyone could do so, an unleashed card caused the room to disappear. No more "item" circle, no way to get the treasure.
Was there something else we should have done in this probably rare circumstance?
Third, the rules state that after a battle where the Gatekeeper is defeated, no more battles happen. Does this include PvP battles as well?
Last but not least, the artwork on the rooms seem to indicate that the path to the secret chambers are one way- when you leave the secret chamber do you just retrace your path back out the way you entered?
The game looks great and I love the mechanics once the unleashed cards come into play. I hope to give it another try and have a better time of it once these questions have been cleared up.
Thanks for the game!
1. The randomness of the Chime Card is a double edge sword. On one hand, if it is delayed too long, frustration sets in. On the other hand, it gives you an element of uncertainty every time the game is played. We are still working on it with help from other players around the world, now that 50 copies are out there. We have a choice of either adding 1 more Magical Chime Card into the deck or to introduce the element of trigger via how many EYE Card is collected (ie if 2 players, magical chime take effect on the 1st discovery or 5 player- on the 3rd Eye Card etc). What do you guys think? Please vote on this.
2. I think the Unleashed Card that destroyed the room is titled Earthquake, hence the Earthquake rules in page 8 applies. Remove it and place it in the Item Point of the room which the Gatekeeper is in.
3. Yes, the third is an errata, the PVP should continue. It should be added – “If the Gatekeeper is defeated, remove it from the Board. Before the start of the next Player’s turn (after all the other battles have ended), roll a die and resurrect it on the Teleport Point of that Room. No battle with the GATEKEEPER shall begin until the Battle Stage of the next Player’s turn”. (This probably confuses everyone as the intention was to end any continuous battle with the Gatekeeper until the next turn).
4. Yes, you retrace your point out as it’s the only path.
We are still working out the finer points before it is printed and shipped, so all your helps are much appreciated. A lot of players has a hand in making SWITCH it is, so keep it coming before we go into the final prints.
The Cards have gone for printing and should be ready in 10 days and we have completed the Photo shoot of the back of the box. We have made the following amendments to the game:-
NEW ABILITY GIVEN TO THE HOLDER OF THE TREASURE CHEST
Experimenting with some suggestion by some Gamers, we have introduced a new Treasure Chest Card to be given to the person who has the Treasure Chest, The person with the Treasure Chest now may choose 1 of 3 ability given to him when he gains the Chest for the 1st time. The ability he chooses shall remain with him until he loses the Chest.
ADDITIONAL MAGICAL CHIME CARD IN THE WISH CARD DECK
An additional Magical Chime Card has been added into the Wish Card Deck to increase the probability of the activation of the Unleashed Deck earlier. Now the Players can decide between themselves whether to leave 2 Magical Chime Card in the deck or to play with only 1 before the start of the game.
ERRATA & FAQ
We are still working on some Errata on the Game and an FAQ section should be posted soon in the Website.
The New Complete Set should be posted to ALL soon. Thank You for your patience.