Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

In the Year of the Dragon» Forums » Rules

Subject: Taxes with < 3 yuan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Loomis
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the group of actions with the Taxes action has already been used, can a player choose the Taxes action if they have < 3 yuan?

For example, refer to the Example near the bottom of the page 4. After Clara takes 2 her yuan, can Doro net the 5 yuan if she only had 2 yuan to begin with? In other words, is paying the 3 yuan to duplicate an action performed at the same time as the taxes action, or must it be carried out first?

Tim
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
It must be paid first.

Note that if you choose not to take an action, you may take money to bring your total cash to 3 yuan.

Running out of money is *bad* in this game.

Cheers,
Merric
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael casey
Australia
Blue Mountains
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You must pay 3 yuan to take an action, therefore you cannot take the taxes action unless you pay 3 yuan first.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MerricB wrote:
It must be paid first.

Note that if you choose not to take an action, you may take money to bring your total cash to 3 yuan.

Running out of money is *bad* in this game.

Cheers,
Merric
micklizzy wrote:
You must pay 3 yuan to take an action, therefore you cannot take the taxes action unless you pay 3 yuan first.
Agreed. What really bites is you have 2 Tax Collectors but don't have the 3 yuan to take the occupied tax action. Getting 5 yuan even with the '3 yuan requirement' still would've been a nice move, but unfortunately, the rules really don't allow it

Running out of $$ is generally bad, but in my last game, the person who didn't have much $$ for a good deal of the game managed to hold on the first till the very end where then he lost by one point. The guy who sprinted from 3rd place to first place had a few occassions where he was broke. It appears that if you run out of $$ in this game, you're not COMPLETELY screwed. You can still make things work.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/347662

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
What really bites is you have 2 Tax Collectors but don't have the 3 yuan to take the occupied tax action. Getting 5 yuan even with the '3 yuan requirement' still would've been a nice move, but unfortunately, the rules really don't allow it

It is a necessary rule for game balance. Otherwise, it becomes too easy to play the strategy of repeatedly buying large privilages and then taxing with 2 or more tax collectors. Large privilages are very great purchases, but the drawback that after going broke you can't choose the action you want, including taxing no matter how many tax coliectors you have, puts it in check.

Quote:
Running out of $$ is generally bad, but in my last game, the person who didn't have much $$ for a good deal of the game managed to hold on the first till the very end where then he lost by one point. The guy who sprinted from 3rd place to first place had a few occassions where he was broke. It appears that if you run out of $$ in this game, you're not COMPLETELY screwed. You can still make things work.


Money is for spending. Very often a player who always maintain an abundance of money throughout the game will lose, because he has wasted time raising the money without spending it efficiently. The point is to spend the money on things you really need, even down to your last yuan, as long as you don't put yourself in a situation when you desperately need to do an action (most obviously, Harvest) but you don't have the money to pay for it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.