Subject: Essen copies missing cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Woodburn
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi,
After playing a demo of this game with the designer today, we discussed the game a bit. He was worried because he had discovered that the copies distributed at Essen had been missing 16 cards - half of the 32 card "Unleashed" deck. The game actually plays roughly as intended without these cards. However, there could be some alterations to the pacing of the endgame, as, apparently, the rooms begin to vanish somewhat more quickly than intended. The issue should be remedied, however, as Dean took the names and addresses of all buyers of the game, intending to mail out improved quality cards anyway. He expressed a desire that information about the missing cards, and that replacement decks would be mailed out as soon as possible, should be posted on the 'Geek, to help manage the worries of people discovering that these cards were missing, or having trouble with the endgame. Hopefully, everyone who bought it is enjoying their copies just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries. I'll remind Dean about this issue when he gets home tomorrow. We'll make sure that all the missing cards are sent out to all of you as soon as possible.

We apologize for all the inconveniences caused by this blunder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert VG
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry, our trust in you guys is very solid I'm sure the cards will arrive... How about including one more monster/character to make up?

BTW, how many copies got sold at Spiel? When I finally found your stand there were only 6 copies left... Does this mean it was a succes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't in Essen. I was in charge of publicity and spreading the word around. In regards to your question, Dean had just text-ed me and told me that it was all sold out in 3 hours flat. He brought around 50 copies to the exhibition.

Still, there are more copies available for order from outplay games website http://www.outplaygames.com if any of your friends are interest. Also, soon, it will be available from more online stores and FLAGs as Dean was able to secure some international distribution channels while at Essen. Keep a look out for it in your favorite online/local gaming stores.

Regarding the extra monster/character, I understand that Dean has already included a bonus character into the first printing for preorders and the ones bought in Essen.

We are already planning an expansion with more characters, monsters etc. So stay tuned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
burninator23 wrote:
Hi,
After playing a demo of this game with the designer today, we discussed the game a bit. He was worried because he had discovered that the copies distributed at Essen had been missing 16 cards - half of the 32 card "Unleashed" deck. The game actually plays roughly as intended without these cards. However, there could be some alterations to the pacing of the endgame, as, apparently, the rooms begin to vanish somewhat more quickly than intended. The issue should be remedied, however, as Dean took the names and addresses of all buyers of the game, intending to mail out improved quality cards anyway. He expressed a desire that information about the missing cards, and that replacement decks would be mailed out as soon as possible, should be posted on the 'Geek, to help manage the worries of people discovering that these cards were missing, or having trouble with the endgame. Hopefully, everyone who bought it is enjoying their copies just fine.

At Essen, Dean (the designer) mentioned to me that with 16 Unleashed cards, the game gets much faster and tighter, great for those looking for a fast playing experience under an hour. Personally, it would be great to get the full deck for a longer and perhaps more immersive experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Tan
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
We finally arrived home. Thank for the extraordinary support from all of you. We kept 8 copies for saturdays as they were pre-orders and a 2 spare sets to at least show the crowd a box. On Sunday we improvised by placing empty boxes in the already spartan booth. Sunday was a hectic day as i guess everyone was busy making last minute deals. We were surprised with the response from everyone. We couldnt sell to the retailers that wanted them as we wouldnt want to expose them to purchasers that we cant send the new set of the promised better quality cards.

Originally i thought that the 16 Unleashed Cards was deliberately left out for the game demo. As we were playing and toying with new ideas with most of u guys, we realised that the 16 cards missing had a consequence in that it affected the gameplay during the last part as the frequency of earthquake makes it more difficult to escape i.e. 1 room left and everyone including the Gatekeeper is in it. Usually the game will end with only 3-6 removed, hence, giving you more space to employ the strategies of switching rooms around to escape into the portal.

Luckily, we asked Jason for help by posting this online as we were so busy and couldnt get online (el cheapo). Much obliged.

I think what had made the game as fun as it was, were the continued feedback and participation of gamers contributing new and cool ideas and we had so many in Spiel. Probably i will set up a forum in our website to contributors for suggestion of new ideas and character developments.

Looks like we may actually finish the SWITCH trilogy sets.

So remember, reserve your thoughts till you get your new sets.

Dean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
OƖ
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
spin dog wrote:

Looks like we may actually finish the SWITCH trilogy sets.

There'll be two more games? Excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hanuise
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the best looking games this year in Essen, imho
When do you intend to ship the extra cards ? cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Tan
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
The Cards have gone for printing and should be ready in 10 days and we have completed the Photo shoot of the back of the box and 1 new artwork for 1 of Aya's Power Card. We have also made the following amendments to the game:-

1. Experimenting with some suggestion by some Gamers, we have introduced a new Treasure Card to be given to the person who has the Treasure Chest, The person with the Treasure Chest now may choose 1 of
3 ability given to him when he gains the Chest for the 1st time. The ability he chooses shall remain with him until he loses the Chest.

2. An additional Magical Chime Card has been added into the Wish Card Deck to increase the probability of the activation of the Unleashed Deck earlier. Now the Players can decide between themselves whether to leave 2 Magical Chime Card in the deck or to play with only 1 before the start of the game.

Now you will get 30 Unleashed Cards instead and 2 Magical Chime Card in the 36 Wish Card Deck.

The New Complete Set should be posted to ALL soon when we receive it in 10 days. Thank You for your patience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Tan
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Hi Guys, thanks for your comments.

Just to add to Dean's announcement, aside from the missing 16 cards from the Unleashed Cards deck, we're reprinting the whole lot of cards. Due to the mad rush for Essen, we were not able to give you the quality we had intended for the cards you now hold. Aside from the clean-up in terms of game play, we're also re-printing the cards on a better grade of paper, complete with matt lamination. The new cards will be more rigid, and the printing and die-cut quality will be improved.

In the meantime, the guys who were responsible for overlooking the 16 missing Unleashed Cards will be ordered to commit Seppuku tonight.

Forgive us in this, our first attempt and publishing a board game. Someday, I hope to detail our experiences and nightmares during production here in this forum. As soon as we get the new improved game on the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hanuise
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
wowwowwowwow

Guys, you are setting a new standard in customer service!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwyn Yap
Malaysia
Shah Alam
Selangor
flag msg tools
thatjames wrote:

In the meantime, the guys who were responsible for overlooking the 16 missing Unleashed Cards will be ordered to commit Seppuku tonight.
:p

Yeah, I wonder who provided the templates for the packagers to follow. Get the problem at the root cause.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Tan
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
Seriously, he got slashed 2 weeks ago. i hope he is fine now to continue our fine work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Mantel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
I've purchased Switch: Secrets of the Temple in Essen. I fell directly for the artwork. It is a new concept for me that a gameboard becomes smaller during gameplay.

I also gave my name and addres. On 30 October I had a message in my mailbox from Dean Tan. Great! And here on Boardgemegeek I get also information. An excellent service.

I'm curious about the new cards

Good service Dean.

Edwin Mantel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
friedricetheman wrote:

I wasn't in Essen. I was in charge of publicity and spreading the word around. In regards to your question, Dean had just text-ed me and told me that it was all sold out in 3 hours flat. He brought around 50 copies to the exhibition.

I wonder which DAY those 3 hours were?
I don't recall exactly which day I bought my copy, but it was certainly not during the first two days, and most likely Saturday afternoon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hanuise
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
if you preordered, they kept your copy at hand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ehanuise wrote:
if you preordered, they kept your copy at hand

Correct, but I didn't. And I looked at the game for a couple of days before finally deciding to get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Mantel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
I bought my game Saturday afternoon at 15.00. Maybe they sold the preordered games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Tan
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
Some pre-orders were from retailers, so when they came to collect and we found out they were one, we asked them if we could ship separately to them as we have to deal with the missing cards and if they sell it to other customers, we cannot trace them to replace the missing cards. Hence, we manage to make those available as the days go by. Even on Sunday, we released 1 last copy that was supposed to be kept as a review copy.He was just too nice with his famous last word in the demo ;" no risk, no fun" before he was taken out by the Gatekeeper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzan
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I bought this game at Essen and filled in my e-mail and adress, but I haven't heard anything yet. Should I be worried?

Groetjes,
Suzan

thatjames wrote:
Hi Guys, thanks for your comments.

Just to add to Dean's announcement, aside from the missing 16 cards from the Unleashed Cards deck, we're reprinting the whole lot of cards. Due to the mad rush for Essen, we were not able to give you the quality we had intended for the cards you now hold. Aside from the clean-up in terms of game play, we're also re-printing the cards on a better grade of paper, complete with matt lamination. The new cards will be more rigid, and the printing and die-cut quality will be improved.

Forgive us in this, our first attempt and publishing a board game. Someday, I hope to detail our experiences and nightmares during production here in this forum. As soon as we get the new improved game on the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Tan
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Suzan wrote:
Hi,

I bought this game at Essen and filled in my e-mail and adress, but I haven't heard anything yet. Should I be worried?

Groetjes,
Suzan

Hi Suzan,

Sorry for the long wait. Aside from the cards, we are also reprinting the rulebook and will be sending these to the good folks who bought our game at Essen. Due to some feedback we received in Essen and on this forum, we felt it necessary to give our rules an overhaul. The new rules should clarify a lot of thing and we believe, will improve the whole experience of playing Switch. We have only just completed the copy check of the rulebook over the weekend and this has gone to the printing presses. We should be able to send these out to the Post Office late this week. Please bear with us. We assure you that we are doing our best to get these out to you quickly without compromising on quality.

Meantime, we are updating our progress on www.outplaygames.com - do visit us for any updates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert VG
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received a package from Dean and his cousin today. Inside were a complete new set of cards, a new rulebook version 1.02 and a new box sticker. All of superb quality...

Thanks Dean & James!
Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to you too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hanuise
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I still received nothing so far

I send you a PM with my contact info, in case it got lost somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Tan
Malaysia
flag msg tools
ehanuise wrote:
Well, I still received nothing so far :(

I send you a PM with my contact info, in case it got lost somewhere.

Thanks for alerting us. We'll look into it and get back to you soonest possible.

We sent out the packages before Christmas. It's possible that some of it might have gotten lost in the mail, it being a peak season and all. Also possible that we may have missed one or two of you out. Do alert us in this thread or PM us with your address in case you never received your package.

BTW, has anyone played the game with the new deck and instruction manual yet? Any comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Tan
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
Dear Eric,
Hey there, we are gonna re-send you a new set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.