Subject: This or TransAmerica? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you had to choose one and only one, which would it be? In a 'better world', I would get both of them, but they seem to be the exact same thing sans the map layout. At least games like Settlers/Seafarers Of Catan and Ticket To Ride/Europe etc. has different/additional gameplay in addition to different map layouts. It really seems overkill to get both of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Mishawaka
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, first let me put your mind to rest. They don't SEEM to be the exact thing sans the map, they ARE the exact same thing sans the map layout. I don't say that as a bad thing, though, just a statement of fact.

Personally, I (a geography-challenged US citizen) started with TransAmerica, then also bought Trans Europa (and Vexation...you MUST have Vexation, though I hear it comes packed with the new edition).

After MANY plays, I like Europe slightly better, but still greatly enjoy both boards. Europe is a bit more interesting, but also easier to get WAY screwed...like 9+ point hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Levin
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, Europe is more interesting, but far less forgiving. The potential is definitely there for someone to get screwed with a lot of points in a round that ends a little early.

That being said, and as close as they are to one another, I prefer TransAmerica. It feels more balanced, the games are closer, and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
There is a slight rules difference between the two (it's the end-game condition in TransAmerica). But you should ignore it (and I think they removed it in later editions).

That said, I *strongly* prefer TransAmerica. The TransEuropa board layout has cities that are flat-out worse than others, which is not true of TransAmerica. It's very easy to get a bad hand in TE and single round scores can be quite high.

TransAmerica is amongst my favourite games and while I'd love to have the variety of another board, TransEuropa is so luck-prone that we no longer play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, BTW, I ended up getting TransAmerica, plus digging out spare bits from my 2nd copy of Settlers Of Catan to form the Vexation add-on. Please feel free to add additional comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Well, since you asked...

I *hate* the Vexation expansion. One of the features I really like about TransAmerica is that you cannot directly attack another player. (You never hurt a player when you add track, you only help certain players more than others.) Vexation changes this and its effects can be larger than you would at first think. The few times we played with it, the scores tended to be larger and more diverse. This meant that games ended with fewer rounds thus increasing the luck of the draw.

It is pretty easy to mock-up a copy and try for yourself (as you have already done). I've already said that I don't like TransEuropa, but I would be willing to play it again (albeit begrudgingly). Vexation, on the other hand, I will avoid like the plague.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first got this game I really disliked it. I thought it was far too simplistic and luck driven. Over time, I've had a change of heart from seeing what a great gate-way game it is. Everyone who I've shown it to (people that aren't gamers) have enjoyed it.

Because of the gate-way status, TransAmerica is the better choice, simply because the cities are more familiar to the players. (I'm in the USA addressing the poster who is in the USA. If you're in Europe, then TransEuropa will likely be the better choice.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
TransAmerica is the better choice, simply because the cities are more familiar to the players. (I'm in the USA addressing the poster who is in the USA. If you're in Europe, then TransEuropa will likely be the better choice.)

Another advantage of TransAmerica is that the cards show where each city is located on the map whereas the cards in TransEuropa don't:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ari Heino
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
greg wrote:
Another advantage of TransAmerica is that the cards show where each city is located on the map whereas the cards in TransEuropa don't

Yeah, it's dangerous to learn some geography while playing boardgames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
aquarian wrote:
greg wrote:
Another advantage of TransAmerica is that the cards show where each city is located on the map whereas the cards in TransEuropa don't

Yeah, it's dangerous to learn some geography while playing boardgames

And even more dangerous to be seen looking at a particular section of board in order to find a destination city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
greg wrote:
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
TransAmerica is the better choice, simply because the cities are more familiar to the players. (I'm in the USA addressing the poster who is in the USA. If you're in Europe, then TransEuropa will likely be the better choice.)

Another advantage of TransAmerica is that the cards show where each city is located on the map whereas the cards in TransEuropa don't:

Very good point.

We had our first play yesterday and loved it, it's actually quite addictive.
The only thing that annoyed me about the game is the shortness of the score track. If one player has a few bad breaks the whole thing is over before you know it.

So the america version has different cards, hm, I wonder why that is.
Maybe they figured europeans didnt'need the extra help?laugh

Mind you, having said that and being new to the game, we find, the finding of locations takes longer than the whole set up.
But that's bound to chance with a few more games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.