Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am referring to the picture frame on the card. As far as I can tell, it is just thematic. I just want to confirm that the picture frame on the card means nothing in regards to gameplay.

At first, I assumed that players could only play cards matching the "suit" the leading player chooses. When I went to actually play the game, this didn't make much sense, so I went back through the rules and the example of play and it appears the "suit" of the card is just for historical purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By "picture frame" do you mean the window edge shape? That identifies whether the unit is sub, surface or air.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should mention that I am aware that bonus cards must match the "suit" of your played card. I was referring to following suit in your normal play in my original question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:
By "picture frame" do you mean the window edge shape? That identifies whether the unit is sub, surface or air.

Yes, this is what I mean. I know it identifies the type, but the type only matters for the play of bonus cards. It has nothing to do with "following suit", right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. You don't have to follow suit with your main card; you just use the number(s) corresponding to the declared "suit."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Atlantic Storm since the game was first published and have never heard the term "suit" used in the game. What you are referring to is the type of naval vessel the card represents. And no, I never pay attention to them as the words tell you everything you need to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then you have never read the rulebook. It uses the word suit several times. It even calls the type named by the leader "trump". I guess it is one of the few times the developers come straight out and admit this is simply a trick taking game with chrome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the rules? That's funny. But I have played it at WBC and Origins every year since it came out and still never heard anyone use the term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, probably because it sounds stupid to use those terms. It kind of shatters the illusion that you aren't just playing a trick-taking game with fancy pictures. Kind of like the first time you hear someone call Tigris & Euphrates a "set collecting game".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.