Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Salinas
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We played a half game of Android yesterday, but as we were playing we realized that there is no chart for NPCs/Favor tokens anywhere. The detectives starting favors have pictures on their cards (and flavor text in the rules), but there are other NPCs only referred to on events/plots that have no pictures.

Example, Caprice during one of her plots can take "Daniel" favors. Which picture/favor is this referring to. We ended up using the young looking guy who is Red/Green, but it was determined by fiat.

I just looked through the rule book again and found no name->picture chart anywhere. Was a rule page left out, or is this a deduction game after all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Kwiatkowski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The pictures of the NPCs, along with their names and some fluff, are on the backs of the relevant detective cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peters
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
It's time to go Full Chort.
badge
‎"NO FATE BUT THE NARRATIVES WE IMPOSE ON LIFE'S RANDOM CHAOS TO DISTRACT OURSELVES FROM OUR EXISTENTIAL PLIGHT"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised you'd have a problem with this for the NPCs that are connected to the detectives you're actually playing with.
But I do agree that some kind of chart/reference beyond the back of the detective sheets would be nice. In our game we had an event that said to put "Kate" in a certain place. None of us were playing Raymond, and while I'd read the rules, and even the teaser articles on the FFG website, it still took awhile before it clicked as to who she was. I just sat there blinking thinking, "Who the hell is Kate?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And who the hell is Alice? shake

Yeah, I guess some NPC can be hard to recognize at first, but this should be solved with repeated playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peters
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
‎"NO FATE BUT THE NARRATIVES WE IMPOSE ON LIFE'S RANDOM CHAOS TO DISTRACT OURSELVES FROM OUR EXISTENTIAL PLIGHT"
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, yeah, who the hell IS Alice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Salinas
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the tip.

I guess since we had our twilight tracker on our character card, no one thought to flip them over to see if there was a back (4 people, and no one looked at the back).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Bass
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
What's this? Why, it's the Hiller Flying Platform! It flew in 1955.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only issue is that typically you might load your character card with a token or two and, of course, the twilight marker. So, in play you have to offload this flotsam from the card to flip it over and read the back whenever you draw an event, or whatever, that brings an NPC into more prominent play. At least until the names of the NPC's and their portraits are memorized!

For our games, I scanned the backs of the character cards and made an NPC portrait sheet as a reference. I'm not sure why FFG didn't include this in the game, either as a separate card or at least a page in the rule book along with the other reference material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Fenwick
Australia
Newport
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That I must say is my only component design issue with the game, esp seeing the "info on back of character sheet" is a problem that they are fixing for Starcraft in the next expansion.
A cheat sheet on the back of the rulebook would have been ideal...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peters
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, after reading the stuff on the website, including the teasers for the character sheets and the rules pdf, I assumed that the NPC tokens were only used for tracking the "status" of the various NPCs and were never actually placed on the board. So when we played our first game, I gave the appropriate NPC tokens to the players for their detectives, then just tossed the rest in the box. Then when Kate (and later, Tanaka) came up in an Event, I had to go scrounging for them. Since then, when I was bagging up components, I skimmed through the event cards to see which ones called for NPCs to go on the board, and I put those tokens in with the other To-Be-Used-Every-Game tokens. I'm pretty sure after at least one of us has played with each of the detectives, we'll all know who all the NPCs are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeffrey, any chance this reference you made might be uploaded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Bass
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
What's this? Why, it's the Hiller Flying Platform! It flew in 1955.
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies about not being able to upload the NPC sheet I referenced, above. Because it uses scans of pics from the game components, it technically violates the BGG upload rules. It will be rejected if I put it in the files or images section. But it was easily made. Scan the backs of the five character cards and crop or select the images, throw them onto a single sheet, type in the NPC names and voila!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In service to the Imperium of Man
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
SkyGazer wrote:
Because it uses scans of pics from the game components, it technically violates the BGG upload rules. It will be rejected if I put it in the files or images section.

Really? That's too bad for both of us then. I wish I had checked the file upload rules before I made this player aid...

Oh well. If anyone wants an emailed copy of my NPC reference sheet, geekmail me.

Edit: never mind. I emailed FFG overnight and got their permission to upload. And then I read the below post. Seems everything's in order. Look for it in the files section soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Although technically it violates BGG's upload rules, there are *plenty* of people who use images from game components to create player aids. Many aids have been created and uploaded for FFG games and they seem not to have a problem with it. If they did, they would have asked for all the files to be removed by now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if this is possible with all of the Event cards, but in our first game tonight we just decided to put the reward itself on the relevant space. For example, if the Event card said to place a particular NPC on the space and that the first person to spend three time there gained a dropship token, we just put the dropship token on the space. Saved us the hassle of figuring out which NPC was which, and also made it easier to remember what the reward was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.