Subject: BBC...Bookery Boardgaming Club...Fairborn, Ohio rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
We had 11 folks with us yesterday, INCLUDING a couple who drove all the way from Covington to be with us! They found us on BGG!!! It was great having Rachel and Nathan with us!

When they arrived, there were just six of us there. We had done some prep. for the Hedgerow Hell map for Memoir '44. Since there was no other game GOING at the time, Rachel and Nathan were good sports and joined us, giving us 4 players per side! That's the first time we've ever had a full table for an Overlord scenario!

The Germans won fairly handily, at least in part due to some pretty amazing dice rolling!!! Of course, it might have helped that the German commander-in-chief (me) goofed up and had his side play TWO MORE CARDS on one turn than they SHOULD have! yuk (Note to self...read ALL the card text on the Overlord cards...) We did go back and give the other side an extra turn but, by that time, the damage had been done. MAN, I feel pretty stupid when that sort of thing happens... soblue

In spite of the huge gaffe, everyone seemed to enjoy the session. I DO love M'44 and I've now become a fan of those paper maps!!!

Other games played today were Agricola, Runebound 2nd Ed. (many thanks to Rocky for teaching that one!), Can't Stop (first time played by several folks!), and Dominion. I was happy to introduce some folks to Can't Stop! Such a great design from Sid Sackson! Today was my first opportunity to play Dominion and I had a BLAST! REALLY good game! Thanks to Bill for showing me the ropes on this one!

We meet again on May 31st at the regular time. It's the first time we've had three meetings in the same month, so we're hoping to have a surprise or two in store. Hope to see you then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks to Dan and the rest of the folks of the BBC for a good afternoon of gaming. I was glad to get introduced to Memoir '44. I'd wanted to try it for a while now, as an Axis and Allies fan I'd been interested. Not every Sunday works out for is to add a game session to the afternoon, but I hope we can come down again before too long. It was good to meet you all!

By the way... in a close run game of M'44 I'm sure the double turn thing would have been monumental, but in this case I don't think it changed the final outcome, just sped it up a bit! In talking it over with Rachel I was able to identify several ways the American strategy/tactics could have been improved. Some of the German dice rolls were very nice. But we (American side) didn't put ourselves in many positions for great dice rolling... Hedgerow Hell indeed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Nathan! Thanks for checking in! I do agree that the final outcome would likely have been the same even without my monumental goof... blush I'd be really interested to hear what you and Rachel discussed re. tactics and strategy for the American side. Even though the U.S. starts with a huge numerical advantage in terms of troops, that terrain seems to be a tough slog. Maybe the roads could have been used more...?!?

I felt bad about the timing of your visit because, at THAT point, M'44 was the only game in town!!!!! We diversified as the afternoon went on. Bill, our Euro guy, arrived just minutes after you did and he always brings a load of games! Eric at the store is nice enough to allow me to store a number of my games there so I don't have to haul them back and forth!

Just remember that we meet every OTHER Sunday, so you wouldn't have to be concerned about being there EVERY week!!! Our next get-together is the 31st.

Thanks a lot for making the long trek to see us! We really enjoyed meeting you and gaming with you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
yosemite wrote:
I'd be really interested to hear what you and Rachel discussed re. tactics and strategy for the American side. Even though the U.S. starts with a huge numerical advantage in terms of troops, that terrain seems to be a tough slog. Maybe the roads could have been used more...?!?

The card system in M'44 makes taking advantage of numerical superiority more easily said than done. Most of the time, neither side was able to order all the units they had in a given section. Some of the units basically sat in reserve, not contributing to the 13-medal race.

I mentioned that it quickly became clear that pushing the Germans out of their defensive positions is a job for the infantry units. Tanks driving up to hedgerows full of infanntry give away any advantage.

It also seems that pushing hard in one or two sections and putting the rest of the board on the back burner would be a good idea. Of course this is theory since I haven't tried it. You need to line-up some card combos to really be effective. Playing an order 4 in one section, followed by an order 1 next turn in that section is asking for disaster.

As for using the roads... the only road that really looked promising to me was the one cutting across to the American right, towards la luzerne, I believe. American center units could quickly move to the right and overwhelm the germans there...hopefully.

Lots left to be explored in the Overlord scenario. Thanks for giving me my first taste!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My pleasure, sir! I found it pretty funny that I ended up being Commander-in-Chief for the Germans since I feel my grasp of tactics leaves a LOT to be desired...

We DID find out the answer to our question re. temporary medals in the three towns. Richard Borg is nice enough to monitor the M'44 board over on the DOW site and, seeing that there was disagreement in the ranks as to the ruling on this one, he clarified it for us. The Germans actually BEGIN the game with those 3 medals!!! I'll see if I can post a link to his answer...

I think Overlord in M'44 is THE way to go! We've played some of them in the past, but always with fewer folks. BattleLore really shines with two boards as well! I'm HOPING to try C&C:Ancients with two boards, but I really need to find interest in the single board version first. Just haven't had a ton of interest in that one so far. shake

Here's that link re. our Hedgerow Hell question...

http://www.daysofwonder.com/en/msg/?th=17263&start=0

Thanks for checking in! Say "HI!" to Rachel for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today's meeting marked our 6 month anniversary!!! To celebrate, we had a "taste of Springfield" with a box of Schuler's cookies! (If you're ever in Springfield, Schuler's is NOT to be missed!)

We had two more new folks join us today! It's always great to game with people we haven't met before and make new friends! I believe we had 14 gamers in for at least part of the time today.

The first game to hit the table today was the reprint of Titan. We started with 6 players, had an early dropout, then the first player elimination app. 2 1/2 hours in. (That was ME...D'OH!) Of course, the game lasted for nearly the entire meeting time!

While that was going, a 3-player game of Small World got going. With my early dismissal from Titan, I was able to introduce four players to the classic Can't Stop, a long-time favorite of mine. Then it was off to a 5-player Last Night on Earth playing the basic scenario. The zombies had a fairly easy time in this one, having started the game with 11 out of a possible 12 on the board and a couple of lost firearms on the human side.

Things wrapped up with 2 of the Titan players playing Dominion (one had been eliminated, one was playing during his Titan downtime!) and a couple of games of Tsuro (three and four players).

Our next meeting is Sunday, June 12 with gaming from 2:00 - 8:00 PM. I'm hoping to get in a game of Arkham Horror with the new Innsmouth expansion and perhaps another game of Memoir '44. Of course, we don't actually schedule events, so who knows what will actually be played?!? Come and find out! We'd love to see you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
App. 15 - 16 folks today, so attendance continues to do well. That number includes two people new (or returning to the area) who plan to be regulars. My goodness, if we ever have everyone who has joined us at one time or another show up at the same time, we would have SOME gathering!

Today's games included Dominion, Small World, Snow Tails, Galaxy Trucker, and Arkham Horror with the new Innsmouth expansion. I've never played in an AH session that was that tough. There were 5 of us, all using new characters from Innsmouth expansion. We did not seal one gate. gulp Yep, you read that correctly...not one. We CLOSED a few!!! We had NO allies at all. Add to that some horrendous luck, a few monster surges (four or five, I believe) and things ended badly. I had a GREAT time TRYING as I really enjoy this game, but the tide never turned. (Ouch. Bad unintentional Innsmouth pun...sorry.) Chaugnar Faugn was the Big Boy at the end and he disposed of us quickly. Sad, indeed.

We ARE planning to host our meeting in two weeks on June 28th. I'm aware that this is the last day of Origins! I typically don't hit Origins on Sunday, so we're going to meet with those who either didn't attend Origins at all OR don't plan to be there Sunday. We had hoped to get another Overlord Memoir '44 session in today. Since that didn't happen, we may shoot for that for the next meeting. As usual, bring a game or play one of ours and join us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wanted to be there this weekend, just had too much stuff going on. It was finals week last week and the wife had her graduation on Saturday. Sunday was recovery after the graduation party.

I will be going all four days to Origins, though. Normally, I only do three days, but I may be volunteering to help out at the Northstar Games booth then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Chris! Thanks for checking in! It's a really busy time for lots of folks, that's for sure!

I'm sure lots of folks DO attend Origins on Sundays...I'm just not one of them. So I figure we might draw those who didn't go or just don't do Sundays there.

I'll likely see you at Origins!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a late arrival today due to "real-world" business that had to be conducted. Thanks to Bobby and Dorsey for getting there early and filling in while I was away.

Not sure if we had folks who WERE there and left before I got there or not. We had 10 of us when I arrived. Not a HUGE decline in numbers due to Origins, but we did have a few regulars still in Columbus.

Games played at today's session were Family Business, Neuroshima Hex, Last Night on Earth, Cosmic Cows, and another 8-player Overlord scenario for Memoir '44. We did Tigers in the Snow today. Good times overall, though the Russian commander-in-chief swore he'd never play the Russians again. (You're right...they lost.) To be fair, they do work under a significant handicap in the Overlord version.

The most impressive feat of the day was accomplished by one of the Russian players (Matt, I believe. If you're out there, correct me if I'm wrong. I suck at remembering names!). He wiped out not one, but TWO of the Tiger tanks on his own!!! Well done!!!

Next meeting is set for Sunday, July 12th. I'll be unavailable to attend that one at all, but Rocky assures me he'll be there, so the BBC will be in capable hands...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A rather slow day this past Sunday with 9 folks in attendance. (I was unable to be there myself. Many thanks to Bobby for filling in!)

Games played were Dominion, Race for the Galaxy, FFG's Twilight Imperium, and Ninja vs. Ninja.

Our next session is Sunday, July 26th. "Real world" stuff is continuing to plague me (some of it in a GOOD way!), but I'm hoping to be able to take a break that day and get back to some fun gaming! Stop in and join us for some great boardgaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe my fast (and almost forgoten) head count was 10 today. We played-

Ninja vs. Ninja

Can't Stop

Prophecy

Krumble!

Red November

Long Shot

This last one seemed to make a BIG hit! First time we've tried it. First game was 6 players...we had a BLAST!!! A few people who missed the first game wanted to try and a few who played in the first one wanted to go AGAIN, so there was a second game!!! Five players that time, I think. Long Shot will get a LOT of table time with our group!

We continue our every-other-week schedule and will do so until we stop having fun. I don't see THAT happening anytime soon!!! Next meeting is Sunday, Aug. 9th. Come on out and let's play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice bounce in attendance today! Back up to thirteen of us! Games played today-

World of Warcraft Adventure Game

Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition

Power Grid

Agricola

Long Shot

Many thanks to Chris for providing me with a really nice set of REAL poker chips to replace the plastic ones I'd been using for currency in Long Shot!

I picked up my copy of Tales of the Arabian Nights today and hope to have that ready to play at the next meeting (Aug. 23). Rocky also mentioned Tomb as a possibility for next time.

Hope to see you soon at the BBC!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SIXTEEN of us yesterday! Our numbers are growing!!! We covered five tables! Games played included...

Tales of the Arabian Nights

Axis & Allies Anniv. Edition

Tomb

World of Warcraft Boardgame with Burning Sands expansion

Middle-Earth Quest

I say "included" because I failed to see what Bill and a couple of guys were playing. I'll get with him and give you an update!

***And here's the update!!! Bill reminded me that they had 3 players for Galaxy Trucker (I knew that!!!). Then the three of them played a game that Bill designed called "The Crumbling Castle of Cavendor", a dexterity/strategy game.

I should say that Bill and others in the group are REALLY creative folks, some of whom have designed their own games and often bring prototypes to share. Yet ANOTHER reason to check out the BBC!!! ***

I REALLY wanted to play Middle Earth, but I was conflicted. My #1 priority was Arabian Nights and, now that I've played it, I see why!!! AMAZING game! I also wanted to give Tomb a whirl, so Middle-Earth will wait for now...Tomb was fun, but it was eclipsed by Arabian Nights!

Next meeting is Sept. 6th! Hope you can make it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan, I just want to say that I, for one, really appreciate your attention to this thread and these announcements. I am irked no end that I have to work on Sunday afternoons and can't join the Bookery crew at least once in a while. Ah, c'est la vie, I guess. One of these days...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Geoff! That is MUCH appreciated!!! I sort of feel like the voice crying in the wilderness at times... Nice to know somebody actually READS this!!!

We look forward to seeing you down the road sometime. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only eight of us today, primarily due to the holiday weekend, I'm guessing. Again, I was a late arrival myself as my kids were here for part of the weekend. THAT'S always a treat and there's not a game anywhere that would take me away from spending time with them. However, once they headed back to Chicago...

Just four games played today. Eric, who manages the store, taught Chaos in the Old World, the new one from Games Workshop. A game of Kingsburg was played, either prior to or during the Chaos game. Then it was time for Dominion:Intrigue (I managed a victory by ONE POINT...HUZZAH!) and a three-player Tales of the Arabian Nights. I bumbled my way through the start of THAT one! I was supposed to be teaching the game and made a hash of it initially. Is it impending old age or what?!??!?! whistle

And now...our BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!!! At our next meeting on September 20th, the B.B.C. is going "old-school" and dusting off some of the oldies! Now, "oldies" depends on your OWN age, so this could encompass a variety of titles! I'm planning to bring Fireball Island, Thunder Road, Tank Battle, Chopper Strike, Risk and Stratego with WOODEN pieces, first ed. Space Hulk, and more.

We just thought it might be fun to try a "themed" session. We might even do more in the future. Maybe something entirely original like horror games around Halloween... To clarify, we ARE open to playing current games on the "oldies" day. We're all about having fun, not themes! So, if the old stuff doesn't grab you, play a new title! We may not actually PLAY all the old ones, but they might be fun to just LOOK at!!!

Hope to see you on the 20th for some games I had to dust... laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW. Attendance was off AGAIN this time. yuk Just SEVEN of us today, and I could only be there part of the time. I'm most curious to know whether the retro theme we tried kept folks away or if there are other, more insidious reasons for the attendance lag...

ANYWAY, we ended up playing ALL oldies! Folks seemed to enjoy themselves! Games played...

Dogfight

Dungeonquest (2 players actually survived!!!)

Judge Dredd

Thunder Road (the guys had fun, but said house rules are needed!)

Fireball Island

Space Hulk 1st ed.

I LOVED watching two of the guys play Dogfight. I was 11 when this was released back in 1963 (yeah, I'm old). I saw it in the Sears catalog, asked for it for Christmas, got it, and it was ON. When you look at those American Heritage games, you just HAVE to admire the production value for the day. I STILL love those little planes!

We're back to our standard agenda next time, October 5th (in other words, we're sans theme). We may try another theme down the road, depending on any feedback we receive. If folks don't like the idea, we'll bag it and carry on with totally open gaming. I did try to stress that your were free to play ANYTHING on Retro day. Maybe the message didn't get across.

Any feedback on this issue would be appreciated! We certainly plan to continue our every-other-Sunday boardgaming! I just hate to see attendance drop off. SO suggestions/ideas/criticisms would be most helpful and appreciated.

I WON'T be there on Oct. 5 as I'm visiting my kids, but it'll be business as usual, so join us then!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were strolling the Xenia Old Fashioned Days fesitval in the rain. I thought BBC was actually next weekend. Got my weeks crossed again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Chris! No worries. And I certainly wasn't trying to lay a guilt trip on anyone for not attending!!! Heck, I have yet to attend YOUR game group! shake

As you know, we've never had MASSES of folks at BBC. I'm just wondering (a) what happened to some folks who HAVE been there and (b) what we can do to attract more people.

I never did post a sign a sign at the Enon library as you suggested. I've even wondered about hosting a group THERE once in awhile...

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FINALLY getting around to reporting on the last BBC meeting! I was unable to attend as I was out of town. This past week, I had rehearsals followed by four shows I played produced by an area Civic Theatre. LOTS of fun and GREAT shows, but it didn't allow time for much ELSE!

A few factors hit us last time and we had just six in attendance. Many thanks to Rocky for filling in last time. Those in attendance played Ad Astra, Mission Red Planet, and the new Deadlands: Battle for Slaughter Gulch game. I'm personally REALLY interested in the Deadlands game and look forward to a detailed report about it.

Next meeting is this Sunday, October 18th from 2:00 - 8:00 PM at Bookery Fantasy. All the details are in the very first post of this thread or GM me for any info. The new Heroes release for BattleLore has some of us pretty pumped to get THAT game back to the table! Though it's unlikely we'll use the Heroes rules THIS time, it's VERY likely we'll play an Epic scenario!!! Past that, things will be open as usual. Hope you can join us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was great to be back at the B.B.C. after missing last time! A NICE bounceback in attendance this time with 12 of us there! We played...

-Endeavor

-Axis & Allies 50th

-Epic BattleLore

-Pandemic

-Last Night on Earth

-Ticket to Ride

-Warhammer: Invasion card game

We hadn't played BattleLore in awhile, so we had to do a rules brush-up... shake We did an Epic scenario with Humans/Dwarves vs. Humans/Goblins. The Dwarf side scored a 7 - 4 victory! Naturally, I include this information since I played on the Dwarf side...

It was great to get Ticket to Ride back to the table! We needed something quick for 3 players and, since one of those folks had never played, it was a great time to teach the game as well. We used the full-blown version with the 1920 expansion. Bobby won decisively with the addition of the bonus point for most routes completed. I was dead last in this one... yuk

After playing a few games of the Warhammer card game with Bobby on Friday, we decided to give it another go today. Orcs vs. Empire with Bobby's Orcs squeaking out a close, hotly-contested win! We had played 3 games on Friday in which the Dwarves handed Chaos three straight defeats. We'll get back to the Chaos deck soon and see if that was pure luck for the Dwarves or if they really ARE that tough. (I don't normally win three games of ANYTHING in a row!!!)

We meet again in two weeks: that's Sunday, November 1st. Thanks for coming out today! We hope to see you soon! (Our first anniversary's coming at the end of November!!! We hope to have a surprise or two...)whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just seven of us in attendance today, but we got a LOT of gaming in! We played-

-Witch of Salem

-Fairy Tale

-The Adventurers

-Dogfight

-Warhammer:Invasion

-Chaos in the Old World

-Bridge Troll

Witch of Salem deals with the Cthulhu Mytho and, as such, is right up my alley! Turned out to be a really fun game! My character died right at the end, but we ended up with a last-second victory! Well done, Bobby!

We had a full table of six for The Adventurers and had a great time with it! Rocky did a superb job with the rules explanation. The only criticism that the game met with was re. treasure values. With some treasures early in the game valued as high as The Final Treasure, some expressed the "need" to increase the value of that final one, and perhaps the others that need locks picked to obtain. A VERY fun game, however!

My first exposure to Chaos in the Old World was a mixed bag. I really admire the game design! On the other hand, I found it nigh upon impossible to make any progress toward winning. The more expereinced players at the table said they considered Slaanesh a major threat, so they specifically targeted me. As a brand-new player (AND an old guy to boot!), I found this pretty funny. I'm not sure I could have met the victory conditions if I'd been playing all by myself!!! I am glad I have a copy of the game. I'll be looking over the rules and trying to get my brain wrapped around a few things. Looking forward to another go at this one!

The BBC's first birthday is officially, Sunday, Nov. 15, our next meeting. We started handing out raffle tickets to folks who attended yesterday. We'll do that again on the 15th AND the 29th, with a drawing for a $60 Bookery gift card being held at app. 4:30 on the 29th. Many thanks to Eric at Bookery for helping us out with this!

Hope to see you you soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah! I knew I missed something yesterday... Couldn't have made it anyway. Had to babysit the wee laddy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, THAT'S important!!!!!!!! Maybe we'll see you at the next session or two. We thought we'd "do it up big" for that 1 year birthday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [59] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.